LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5376 September 9 2017

kfc

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

DSL Connection   

Uptime:    0 days, 10:50:42

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):    0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):    0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):    0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):    0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):    29 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):    102.621 / 729.935

CRC Errors (Up/Down):    141.566 / 1.897

HEC Errors (Up/Down):    2.027.601.015 / 102.321

HEC errors become 1 000 000 000 the very first second i turn the modem on. But I never had any disconnection problem.

Last edited by kfc (September 9 2017)

#5377 September 9 2017

Mayyad

TheLebGeek wrote:

Hi all, I've complained before a lot that my internet keeps disconnecting and sometimes it is really unuseable. Ogero said it's not their issue since the problem is most probably from my internal wires. Today i got an electrician and we rewired the internal wires in the house to every single socket. Took more than 3 hours work. Finally, after all is done, i turn on my modem again and go to see the stats. Surprisingly, nothing changed. Hell maybe it became worse. The SNR margin is still almost exactly the same around 10.6 dB for download and 9.7 dB upload.
The Attentuation is still around 22 dB download and 12.3 dB upload. But i noticed something new  that usually wasnt there now. It is Bit Errors. I have 48313 bit errors upstream but 0 downstream. What does this mean? Its been only 1hr 30min since they finished work and i turned on the modem. What can i do now, what options do i have left ...

Hi
Well i once read an article about dsl internal wiring, and if telephone line is connected to many sockets this will add noise to your line.
Eleminate all the other sockets and if you need more than one handset in house use multiple wireless handsets connected to the base which is connected to dsl filter output.
Make sure that the telephone line is away from any electricity source.

#5378 September 9 2017

roudy5

TheLebGeek wrote:

Hi all, I've complained before a lot that my internet keeps disconnecting and sometimes it is really unuseable. Ogero said it's not their issue since the problem is most probably from my internal wires. Today i got an electrician and we rewired the internal wires in the house to every single socket. Took more than 3 hours work. Finally, after all is done, i turn on my modem again and go to see the stats. Surprisingly, nothing changed. Hell maybe it became worse. The SNR margin is still almost exactly the same around 10.6 dB for download and 9.7 dB upload.
The Attentuation is still around 22 dB download and 12.3 dB upload. But i noticed something new  that usually wasnt there now. It is Bit Errors. I have 48313 bit errors upstream but 0 downstream. What does this mean? Its been only 1hr 30min since they finished work and i turned on the modem. What can i do now, what options do i have left ...

I think they are working on something on their side ? because last 2-3 days my sn margin is deviating a LOT, i had a stable 28dB margin on 4mbps, now its 9 dB and every little while it either goes up or down, and i don't think its electrical issue cause i checked the margin when there was no power (this small time to switch to the generator) and it was still 9.. think they are doing some maintenance

#5379 September 9 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:

DSL Connection   

HEC errors become 1 000 000 000 the very first second i turn the modem on. But I never had any disconnection problem.

What is your snr margin? i am surprised that you have so many errors.

#5380 September 9 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

DSL Connection   

What is your snr margin? i am surprised that you have so many errors.

but i never have any usability issue.

#5381 September 9 2017

wollyka

is it your up or down snr margin? weird, i have a lower snr margin {20 up but 8 down) but  i only get like 2 or 3 CRC errors all day

#5382 September 9 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:

is it your up or down snr margin? weird, i have a lower snr margin {20 up but 8 down) but  i only get like 2 or 3 CRC errors all day

15-16 up
10-11 down

#5383 September 9 2017

wollyka

Try to download big files using a download manager (not torrent) in order to determine for sure.

#5384 September 10 2017

Truepeace

If I unplug my home phones, the CRC errors are reduced from thousands to ~100 in a few hours and I get no DC (the SNR margin used to randomly become 0.1 for like 10 seconds), can someone explain why this happens? Ogero told me:
"Please check your internal wiring with the assistance of your electrician. Replacing existing wiring and filters will solve the issue." but isn't the phone line the same as the DSL? How can it possibly be badly set up? My home is only one year old and the filters I have at my phones and modem are relatively new (and I bought them from amazon they had very good reviews).

Last edited by Truepeace (September 10 2017)

#5385 September 10 2017

nas93

Is this stable? Huge stutter in games like bf1/cs go
9yA1aan.jpg

#5386 September 10 2017

Truepeace

nas93 wrote:

Is this stable? Huge stutter in games like bf1/cs go
http://i.imgur.com/9yA1aan.jpg

Yes very good stats.

#5387 September 10 2017

TheLebGeek

Mayyad wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:

Hi
Well i once read an article about dsl internal wiring, and if telephone line is connected to many sockets this will add noise to your line.
Eleminate all the other sockets and if you need more than one handset in house use multiple wireless handsets connected to the base which is connected to dsl filter output.
Make sure that the telephone line is away from any electricity source.

That's what the electrician told me and we eliminated all the sockets that I didn't use. Only kept 4 sockets out of 8. As for the rewiring for the people who were asking, there is one main phone line that comes into the house and then splits to many lines for all sockets. We changed 4 wires for the sockets that i usually use and the other 4 he cancelled them. No breaking walls or anything, just pulling the wires from the conduits they are passing in while inserting the new phone line. Anyways all this turned out to be useless as it didnt effect anything in my line stats compared with my stats before all this was done. And i still have internet disconnections. I called him again and told him that, he said he will come monday again to see what can we do. I think we should now change the wire from the house to the ogero box right? Other than that there are no other options?

#5388 September 10 2017

TheLebGeek

Aly wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:

You could have connected the modem to the Ogero main box in your building reception or electricity room, if the SNR and Att stay the same then you know the problem is from Ogero and not your wiring.

Any idea how can i plug the modem? Shall i get a wire that has copper exposed from one side and connected to the modem from the other side and connect it? Also how can i know which line is mine in the box, its all mixed up down there

#5389 September 11 2017

infiniteloop

Dunno why but every mornings till 2pm  in working days the ADSL connection has several random reboots, in the afternoon and night none?
Is Ogero still working in Beirut's centrals?

#5390 September 12 2017

mr m

Guys after all the new speed upgrade is it normal that my line mode is fixed to ADSL_G.dmt ?? I am subscribed to IDM by the way .

#5391 September 12 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

So in episode 1 of the "How much speed can my landline handle?" serie, Ogero told me by email in May that I live 800 metres away from an active cabinet and that my speed can reach up to 23 megabits per second.

In episode 2, the kachef done at my centrale this month showed that my line can only handle 6 megabits per second. When I emailed Ogero again regarding this, they backtracked on their first email, apologized to me regarding wrong results they gave me at the beginning and confirmed that my line can only take 6 megabits per second without providing any extra clarification or justification ( knowing that my modem displays the following statistics: maximum bandwidth = 17500 kbps attenuation 14 and sn margin 23 for a synchronisation speed of 4 megabits per second)

Episode 3 of the serie happened today as I received this morning a call from an Ogero technician informing me that he needs to pass by my house to perform a VDSL eligibility test. He brought with him an instrument, connected it to my line next to the modem, programed it to VDSL2 17A and performed the test. Results were as follow:
- For a sn margin of 7, download speed was 26 megabits per second and upload speed was 4 megabits per second.
- when the Sn margin was increased to 10, the speeds dropped to 20 and 3.

Again these practical results came very low given the stats that my modem is displaying and the distance that separates me from the active cabinet.  They are more in line with the practical ADSL2+ speed of 6 megabits per second that the latest kachef at the centrale showed...

I asked the man if he could do a similar test for adsl2+, he said that he cannot do it... but he told me that in my region I can easily have more than 10 megabits per second. I told him that the centrale told me that my maximum speed is 6 megabits per second, he asked me to ignore them because they don't know anything (chou baddak bel central, ma bya3rfo!!!)

And the mystery continues...

Episode 4

I was switched today to open speed from Ogero side. I am synchronizing at 15000 kbps with a sn margin of 10 but I am still limited to 4 mbps by IDM till my next recharge in 1 week.

What actual speed do you think I will get? Haha

You will be capped at 10 Mbps or if you are lucky (like me lol) you will get 12 Mbps max. (my sync is 15000 kbps but i am nit getting more than 1.4 MB/s download)

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

6618324358.png

Download speed is 1.4-1.6 MB/s

My stats now

DSL Type:    G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    947 / 17.484
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:    947 / 15.886
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:    10,0 / 13,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:    17,5 / 10,0

#5392 September 12 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

I was switched today to open speed from Ogero side. I am synchronizing at 15000 kbps with a sn margin of 10 but I am still limited to 4 mbps by IDM till my next recharge in 1 week.

What actual speed do you think I will get? Haha

You will be capped at 10 Mbps or if you are lucky (like me lol) you will get 12 Mbps max. (my sync is 15000 kbps but i am nit getting more than 1.4 MB/s download)

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6618324358.png

My stats now

good enjoy ,but like always IDM is capping , you have around 16 Mbps , you are getting 13 Mbps. I have 15 Mbps and i am getting 12.4 Mbps. The difference is not from overhead since while i was at 8 Mbps before the upgrade i was getting like 7.5 to 7.7 Mbps not 6 Mbps, it seems that they fix the speed at 80-85% your rate)
do you still have problems with torrents?

Last edited by wollyka (September 12 2017)

#5393 September 13 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stats now

good enjoy ,but like always IDM is capping , you have around 16 Mbps , you are getting 13 Mbps. I have 15 Mbps and i am getting 12.4 Mbps. The difference is not from overhead since while i was at 8 Mbps before the upgrade i was getting like 7.5 to 7.7 Mbps not 6 Mbps, it seems that they fix the speed at 80-85% your rate)

no man there is no cap. i have always gotten 80-85% of my speeds even when i was on 1,2 and 4 mbps!

on 4 mbps for example, i never got more than 3.4-3.5

and yes this problem is not solved!

Last edited by kfc (September 13 2017)

#5394 September 13 2017

GreenM

kfc wrote:

no man there is no cap. i have always gotten 80-85% of my speeds even when i was on 1,2 and 4 mbps!

Before I requested OS, I used to get 3.4-3.5 but after that (beginning of September), I'm getting ~4.0 while waiting for OS tomorrow (beginning of next month cycle)

#5395 September 13 2017

kfc

GreenM wrote:
kfc wrote:

Before I requested OS, I used to get 3.4-3.5 but after that (beginning of September), I'm getting ~4.0 while waiting for OS tomorrow (beginning of next month cycle)

Same thing happened with me. It means that ogero opened the speed from their side while idm will open it when new cycle starts

Post please your stats and new speed when you get it. Ok?

#5396 September 13 2017

Adnan

Question: does using a shielded cable help against electromagnetic interference ? My electrician is telling me that the interference (which is coming from an inverter (some kind of motor thing)) is actually affecting the modem and that it can't affect the wire.

But as far as I've learned, electromagnetic interference CAN affect data travelling through a cable. Am I right ?

#5397 September 13 2017

kfc

How come I get a speed of 13 megabits per second if I choose a speedtest server in Lebanon France Britain Germany but the speed drops to 8 for the US and 4 for Australia?

what is the practical implication of this?

#5398 September 13 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stats now

Try downloading large files using download accelerators (not torrents) and see if the problem happens.

#5399 September 13 2017

Mylo89

Guys, will we expect an increase in the monthly quota after the new agreement with Cyta Cyprus as announced by the minister of telecommunications ??

#5400 September 13 2017

nuclearcat

I doubt, there was upgrades on hold for ISPs, because seems Ogero reached max capacity.
So its just matching increased consumption, but price for govt is even more, they will have to pay for more bandwidth.

Board footer