LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5351 September 6 2017

wollyka

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Sincwe my synchronization speed has been upgraded from 4 to 15 megabits per second, i have faced the following problem twice in tree days:

i am subscribed to the unmetered traffic at night, so i put my downloads and torrents on beforr going to bed and in the morning when i come to check on them i find that they were not completed and that i am not able to open any internet page ( i get a "cant open this page" error message ) not even send whatsap messages even though the modem is on and connected. this problem does not get fixed unless i modify the channel of the wireless access point nin my modem knowing the pc that i am using is directly connected via cable to the modem. do you have any idea if this problem is related to the recent speed upgrade that i got? And what should i do to solve it?

What router do you have? it looks like the router is being over-flood by the torrent traffic. Try to limit the number of open connections in your torrent program.

I have idm's thomson modem and not more than 2-3 torrents running!

Never had this problem untill my synchronisation speed jumped to 15!

Maybe your torrent program detected that your speed is now 15 Mbps and increased the number of open connections.. Or maybe the modem's CPU is working extra to cope with the new sync speed. Or maybe it is a coincidence and the WiFi is just overheating..

#5352 September 6 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

What router do you have? it looks like the router is being over-flood by the torrent traffic. Try to limit the number of open connections in your torrent program.

Maybe your torrent program detected that your speed is now 15 Mbps and increased the number of open connections.. Or maybe the modem's CPU is working extra to cope with the new sync speed. Or maybe it is a coincidence and the WiFi is just overheating..

So it is a modem problem and not a connection one?

What should i do to control it?

#5353 September 6 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Test first with only one torrent running at a time and see if the problem persists.
You can also limit the number of open connections per torrent (all BitTorrent clients have this settings).

#5354 September 6 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

You can also limit the number of open connections per torrent (all BitTorrent clients have this settings).

what will be the consequence of this? will this affect the speed?

#5355 September 6 2017

nuclearcat

Guys, what do you think about such online support PoC/mockup? (except my terrible english and some typing mistakes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onGHqsV … e=youtu.be

Might be faster to download video file, 2Mbyte: https://nuclearcat.com/2017-09-06_19-33-23.mp4

#5356 September 6 2017

RandomMemory

nuclearcat wrote:

Guys, what do you think about such online support PoC/mockup? (except my terrible english and some typing mistakes)

Might be faster to download video file, 2Mbyte: https://nuclearcat.com/2017-09-06_19-33-23.mp4

Hey sir can you switch me to the 1 Gigbit unlimited for 20000 a month? hehe

The chat looks nice, are the things automated as in it parses keywords or the account info display and the ID upload ETC are handled by operator manually

Last edited by RandomMemory (September 6 2017)

#5357 September 6 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Not necessarily. Btw are you limiting your upload speed? It is best to set your upload at 80% of your current upload bandwidth max. I set mine like this and I get 1.4MB/s download  (the max IDM gives me it seems)

Last edited by wollyka (September 6 2017)

#5358 September 6 2017

nuclearcat

RandomMemory wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

Hey sir can you switch me to the 1 Gigbit unlimited for 20000 a month? hehe

The chat looks nice, are the things automated as in it parses keywords or the account info display and the ID upload ETC are handled by operator manually

This is PoC, it depends on law in Lebanon (as i know no e-signature law yet), so ID might need operator verification, but it can be semi-automated, to make human job max efficient.
For other operations support will have on their side some "shortcut" options to run typical troubleshooting scenarios.
Decent support system can reduce support backlog in any ISP almost to zero. Also  i think AI at beginning should give option to activate live speed monitoring for example over chat, without contacting operator, and etc.

#5359 September 6 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Not necessarily. Btw are you limiting your upload speed? It is best to set your upload at 80% of your current upload bandwidth max. I set mine like this and I get 1.4MB/s download  (the max IDM gives me it seems)

no i don't limit my upload speed but why are you asking this? and what do you recommend my global maximum number of connections to be on utorrent? it is 200 now

Last edited by kfc (September 6 2017)

#5360 September 6 2017

wollyka

I am asking this because if the torrent is using all your upload bandwidth, you won't be able to open any page even though your download is not maxed.
My global maximum connections is 250 and 80 connected peers per torrent. However, i have an Asus AC68U router which can handle much higher number of connections (i tried 800 and it is still working).
Try first with limiting your upload speed.

#5361 September 7 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:

I am asking this because if the torrent is using all your upload bandwidth, you won't be able to open any page even though your download is not maxed.
My global maximum connections is 250 and 80 connected peers per torrent. However, i have an Asus AC68U router which can handle much higher number of connections (i tried 800 and it is still working).

Not really because when my downloads stop and i am unable to open pages, the seeding also stops. it's not like the upload is working while the download is not.

i tried to reduce the connections to 100 and download 1 torrent only but the problem happened again this past evening...
i can report this issue to IDM but i am afraid that they would use it as an excuse to limit my speed

#5362 September 7 2017

xazbrat

wollyka wrote:

All right, I didn't catch what torrent software you were using.  I had huge issues with Vuze doing the exact same thing you are experiencing and it stopped happening when I switched back to  utorrent,    My max speed on torrents is around 220 kB/s and my upload speed is set at 75 kB/s (on 2mb ul plan from ogero).  If you are using another software, mess around with the ports until you get a good one.  And if that fails, use another torrent software until you find one that works.

#5363 September 7 2017

TheLebGeek

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Not really because when my downloads stop and i am unable to open pages, the seeding also stops. it's not like the upload is working while the download is not.

i tried to reduce the connections to 100 and download 1 torrent only but the problem happened again this past evening...
i can report this issue to IDM but i am afraid that they would use it as an excuse to limit my speed

Try changing torrent software, example qbittorrent

#5364 September 7 2017

kfc

TheLebGeek wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Try changing torrent software, example qbittorrent

But are we sure first that the torrent software is responsible of this problem and that it is not caused by a connection issue?

#5365 September 7 2017

wollyka

I was suspecting FUP at first but since when you change the Wireless channel all is working properly, it is likely a modem/WiFi issue caused by heavy downloads/number of connections.

#5366 September 7 2017

Tech Guru

Sami27 wrote:

1-  Is it true that pricing for ISPs other than Ogero, such as IDM in my case are to be substantially lower than Ogero's? For example, Ogero 2Mbit 20GB is 75,000LL while IDM 2Mbit 20GB is 55,000LL

2-  Will ISPs such as Cyberia and IDM keep offering double speed from 8PM to 8AM and unlimited nights from 11PM to 7AM?

Appreciate any input.

Short Answer No. Plus in my experience shifting to Ogero was a very good decision I made. Very stable with a reliable and resposive customer service which is transparent with the current new management and CEO. I will apply too to fiber optic , since they starting rolling that at Rass Beirut area.

#5367 September 7 2017

Adnan

My DSL connection keeps dropping whenever the elevator is in use. I found about this trick which helps detect possible interference. I tuned this AM radio to 600kHz and then called the elevator. The sounds coming out from the radio when I used the elevator twice confirmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo97T0v7Wk

What's baffling is that I live on the 5th floor while the whole thing is above the 7th, so that elevator's inverter seems to be causing a huge electromagnetic interference. When I tested it on the phone box in the first floor, no interference was being caused certainly because the elevator room is too far.

There's no apparently feasible way I can connect the phone cable to be far enough from the whole thing.

Is it possible that using some kind of super duper shielded cable could help dampen the interference on the phone line ? Is there a more professional way I can measure the stuff needed ?

Last edited by Adnan (September 7 2017)

#5368 September 7 2017

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

#5369 September 7 2017

Adnan

tmash2 wrote:

What sync mode are you using? G.DMT and ADSL2+ are far from each other on the spectrum, you can alter between and that would be the simple fix.

Hey, thanks for replying. I am currently syncing on ADSL2+. Unfortunately, using G.DMT will lower my speed to a mediocre 2Mbps.

Now I know that G.DMT and ADSL2+ read their measurements differently, but when on G.DMT and at 2Mbps, my SNR margin is normally at 28dB. When the elevator is in use, it goes down to 20dB, which is a whopping 8dB drop. So on G.DMT the drop is still happening, but the SNR margin is so high it's preventing it from affecting the connection.

Using SNR margin tweaking (which is only compatible with ADSL2+ on my modem), I was able to forcibly sync my modem on 4Mbps (down from 7Mbps) which led to the margin being higher, and hence still having enough room for noise tolerance.

tl;dr

I'm on ADSL2+.
G.DMT works only because the connection becomes so slow that more interference is tolerated.
ADSL2+ isn't affected by interference when syncing on 4Mbps or lower.

#5370 September 8 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:

I was suspecting FUP at first but since when you change the Wireless channel all is working properly, it is likely a modem/WiFi issue caused by heavy downloads/number of connections.

Could this be due to a high number of HEC and FEC errors?

#5371 September 8 2017

TheLebGeek

Hi all, I've complained before a lot that my internet keeps disconnecting and sometimes it is really unuseable. Ogero said it's not their issue since the problem is most probably from my internal wires. Today i got an electrician and we rewired the internal wires in the house to every single socket. Took more than 3 hours work. Finally, after all is done, i turn on my modem again and go to see the stats. Surprisingly, nothing changed. Hell maybe it became worse. The SNR margin is still almost exactly the same around 10.6 dB for download and 9.7 dB upload.
The Attentuation is still around 22 dB download and 12.3 dB upload. But i noticed something new  that usually wasnt there now. It is Bit Errors. I have 48313 bit errors upstream but 0 downstream. What does this mean? Its been only 1hr 30min since they finished work and i turned on the modem. What can i do now, what options do i have left ...

#5372 September 8 2017

Aly

TheLebGeek wrote:

Hi all, I've complained before a lot that my internet keeps disconnecting and sometimes it is really unuseable. Ogero said it's not their issue since the problem is most probably from my internal wires. Today i got an electrician and we rewired the internal wires in the house to every single socket. Took more than 3 hours work. Finally, after all is done, i turn on my modem again and go to see the stats. Surprisingly, nothing changed. Hell maybe it became worse. The SNR margin is still almost exactly the same around 10.6 dB for download and 9.7 dB upload.
The Attentuation is still around 22 dB download and 12.3 dB upload. But i noticed something new  that usually wasnt there now. It is Bit Errors. I have 48313 bit errors upstream but 0 downstream. What does this mean? Its been only 1hr 30min since they finished work and i turned on the modem. What can i do now, what options do i have left ...

You could have connected the modem to the Ogero main box in your building reception or electricity room, if the SNR and Att stay the same then you know the problem is from Ogero and not your wiring.

#5373 September 8 2017

Kazouza

TheLebGeek wrote:

I think the upstream bit errors might be a bug. I used to have them every now and then when I first turn on the modem but they stay the same after a while.

Also mind sharing how exactly the rewiring was done?

#5374 September 8 2017

AVOlio

TheLebGeek wrote:

What do you mean you rewired the internal wires?
You mean you cracked opened the walls where the wires were, in the entire house, as in broke the walla in the pattern of the wires, changed the wires and then close them back??

#5375 September 8 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Could this be due to a high number of HEC and FEC errors?

How high do they get? They usually cause disconnections

Board footer