LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5326 September 1 2017

Mom

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

wollyka wrote:
Mom wrote:

we've got a cabinet recently installed like 800 m away from my house this is what i am getting :)
SNR Margin:    25.6         11.6    db

Line Attenuation:    14.9     12.2     db

Data Rate:     4096     816     kbps

Max Rate:    15232     864     kbps

POWER:    19.9         12.2     dbm

CRC:    0        0

Where do you live? Because they didn't start with the cabinets installation yet (unless I am mistaken)

I live in Mtein "Maten Shemaly" and i am pretty sure that we got a cabinet installed because my Line Attenuation was 52 at its greatest!

#5327 September 1 2017

TheLebGeek

Mom wrote:
wollyka wrote:
Mom wrote:

we've got a cabinet recently installed like 800 m away from my house this is what i am getting :)

Where do you live? Because they didn't start with the cabinets installation yet (unless I am mistaken)

I live in Mtein "Maten Shemaly" and i am pretty sure that we got a cabinet installed because my Line Attenuation was 52 at its greatest!

But did you change any wirings or your modem or any of your setup? Or everything is the same and suddenly the attentuation changed from one day to the other?

#5328 September 1 2017

Mylo89

Guys, does anyone have an idea on what happened regarding the FTTC project?

#5329 September 1 2017

Mom

TheLebGeek wrote:
Mom wrote:
wollyka wrote:

But did you change any wirings or your modem or any of your setup? Or everything is the same and suddenly the attentuation changed from one day to the other?

Everything is still the same

Edit: i used to have loads of CRC now none

Last edited by Mom (September 1 2017)

#5330 September 1 2017

kfc

Mom wrote:
wollyka wrote:
Mom wrote:

I experienced the exact same as you 10 months ago when my modem stats dramatically changed overnight. :) (attenuation from 52 to 14 and sn margin from 7 to 27)

Last edited by kfc (September 1 2017)

#5331 September 1 2017

TheLebGeek

Mom wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:
Mom wrote:

Wow nice! I have loads of noise and crc errors and I don't know how to fix my problem. I got a guy to change my phone wires, he told me i already have good quality wires and changing them won't change anything. I tell that to ogero they keep telling me change wires to fix the noise problem without even sending a technician to check :/

#5332 September 1 2017

kfc

How come I have a huge number of these errors right from the very first second I turn my modem on ? and how come they stabilize and barely increase even after several hours of use?

Uptime:    0 days, 0:01:35

FEC Errors (Up/Down):    52.041 / 34

CRC Errors (Up/Down):    18.273 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):    977.133 / 0

#5333 September 1 2017

Mom

TheLebGeek wrote:
Mom wrote:
TheLebGeek wrote:

Wow nice! I have loads of noise and crc errors and I don't know how to fix my problem. I got a guy to change my phone wires, he told me i already have good quality wires and changing them won't change anything. I tell that to ogero they keep telling me change wires to fix the noise problem without even sending a technician to check :/

I was surprised as well, my line could barely handle 1Mbps now i think i am eligible for VDSL which is great, i think i'll upgrade soon!

#5334 September 4 2017

kfc

kfc wrote:

So in episode 1 of the "How much speed can my landline handle?" serie, Ogero told me by email in May that I live 800 metres away from an active cabinet and that my speed can reach up to 23 megabits per second.

In episode 2, the kachef done at my centrale this month showed that my line can only handle 6 megabits per second. When I emailed Ogero again regarding this, they backtracked on their first email, apologized to me regarding wrong results they gave me at the beginning and confirmed that my line can only take 6 megabits per second without providing any extra clarification or justification ( knowing that my modem displays the following statistics: maximum bandwidth = 17500 kbps attenuation 14 and sn margin 23 for a synchronisation speed of 4 megabits per second)

Episode 3 of the serie happened today as I received this morning a call from an Ogero technician informing me that he needs to pass by my house to perform a VDSL eligibility test. He brought with him an instrument, connected it to my line next to the modem, programed it to VDSL2 17A and performed the test. Results were as follow:
- For a sn margin of 7, download speed was 26 megabits per second and upload speed was 4 megabits per second.
- when the Sn margin was increased to 10, the speeds dropped to 20 and 3.

Again these practical results came very low given the stats that my modem is displaying and the distance that separates me from the active cabinet.  They are more in line with the practical ADSL2+ speed of 6 megabits per second that the latest kachef at the centrale showed...

I asked the man if he could do a similar test for adsl2+, he said that he cannot do it... but he told me that in my region I can easily have more than 10 megabits per second. I told him that the centrale told me that my maximum speed is 6 megabits per second, he asked me to ignore them because they don't know anything (chou baddak bel central, ma bya3rfo!!!)

And the mystery continues...

Episode 4

I was switched today to open speed from Ogero side. I am synchronizing at 15000 kbps with a sn margin of 10 but I am still limited to 4 mbps by IDM till my next recharge in 1 week.

What actual speed do you think I will get? Haha

#5335 September 4 2017

sayedti

i requested open speed bundle ( 100 gb for 30$) in august , they said i will have it in september, i made the request in the central and they gave me a receipt or some kind of paper , its 4 sempemter my speed still the same i cant access ogero site sometimes it works but when  i log in to my account i read something about new bill details soon

#5336 September 4 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

So in episode 1 of the "How much speed can my landline handle?" serie, Ogero told me by email in May that I live 800 metres away from an active cabinet and that my speed can reach up to 23 megabits per second.

In episode 2, the kachef done at my centrale this month showed that my line can only handle 6 megabits per second. When I emailed Ogero again regarding this, they backtracked on their first email, apologized to me regarding wrong results they gave me at the beginning and confirmed that my line can only take 6 megabits per second without providing any extra clarification or justification ( knowing that my modem displays the following statistics: maximum bandwidth = 17500 kbps attenuation 14 and sn margin 23 for a synchronisation speed of 4 megabits per second)

Episode 3 of the serie happened today as I received this morning a call from an Ogero technician informing me that he needs to pass by my house to perform a VDSL eligibility test. He brought with him an instrument, connected it to my line next to the modem, programed it to VDSL2 17A and performed the test. Results were as follow:
- For a sn margin of 7, download speed was 26 megabits per second and upload speed was 4 megabits per second.

Again these practical results came very low given the stats that my modem is displaying and the distance that separates me from the active cabinet.  They are more in line with the practical ADSL2+ speed of 6 megabits per second that the latest kachef at the centrale showed...

I asked the man if he could do a similar test for adsl2+, he said that he cannot do it... but he told me that in my region I can easily have more than 10 megabits per second. I told him that the centrale told me that my maximum speed is 6 megabits per second, he asked me to ignore them because they don't know anything (chou baddak bel central, ma bya3rfo!!!)

Episode 4

I was switched today to open speed from Ogero side. I am synchronizing at 15000 kbps with a sn margin of 10 but I am still limited to 4 mbps by IDM till my next recharge in 1 week.

You will be capped at 10 Mbps or if you are lucky (like me lol) you will get 12 Mbps max. (my sync is 15000 kbps but i am nit getting more than 1.4 MB/s download)

#5337 September 4 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

You will be capped at 10 Mbps or if you are lucky (like me lol) you will get 12 Mbps max. (my sync is 15000 kbps but i am nit getting more than 1.4 MB/s download)

my DSP is Ogero not GDS

#5338 September 4 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

my DSP is Ogero not GDS

IDM is the one putting the cap not the DSP. Anyhow, when you have your OS, please report :)

#5339 September 4 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

my DSP is Ogero not GDS

IDM is the one putting the cap not the DSP. Anyhow, when you have your OS, please report :)

IDM put the cap so that GDS save some bandwith ! With Ogero DSP, this problem shouldn't exist.

I expect an actual speed of around 13-14 mbps (85% Of the  15-16 mbps synchronisation speed)

#5340 September 4 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

my DSP is Ogero not GDS

IDM put the cap so that GDS save some bandwith ! With Ogero DSP, this problem shouldn't exist.

I expect an actual speed of around 13-14 mbps (85% Of the  15-16 mbps synchronisation speed)

Actually, they should limit the speed with Ogero more since they are paying more for the bandwidth. Let's wait and see

#5341 September 5 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Actually, they should limit the speed with Ogero more since they are paying more for the bandwidth. Let's wait and see

Ogero have all the bandwith they need!!

#5342 September 5 2017

Mylo89

Reposting: Guys, does anyone have an idea on what happened regarding the FTTC project?

#5343 September 5 2017

ms94

Hi guys, does anyone know how to configure VDSL? I have my PPPOE account and Password

#5344 September 5 2017

roudy5

Mylo89 wrote:

Reposting: Guys, does anyone have an idea on what happened regarding the FTTC project?

All we know is that the project is approved.. no ETA or anything.

#5345 September 5 2017

Mylo89

roudy5 wrote:
Mylo89 wrote:

All we know is that the project is approved.. no ETA or anything.

Thanks for the info!

#5346 September 5 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:

Ogero have all the bandwith they need!!

IDM is paying Ogero for the bandwidth consumed by their users so its their best interest to reduce consumed bandwidth per user. I am assuming that they cost them more having users on Ogero DSLAM than having them on GDS but i could be mistaken.

#5347 September 5 2017

GreenM

kfc wrote:

Episode 4

I was switched to open speed too from Ogero side and waiting for actual OS on next billing cycle. I was synchronizing at ~11000 kbps few days ago. I checked today and it's ~5400 kbps!!! Why are they doing this? I guess I can't complain from now and I'll have to wait till I actually get that limited OS speed lol

#5348 September 6 2017

kfc

kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

Sincwe my synchronization speed has been upgraded from 4 to 15 megabits per second, i have faced the following problem twice in tree days:

i am subscribed to the unmetered traffic at night, so i put my downloads and torrents on beforr going to bed and in the morning when i come to check on them i find that they were not completed and that i am not able to open any internet page ( i get a "cant open this page" error message ) not even send whatsap messages even though the modem is on and connected. this problem does not get fixed unless i modify the channel of the wireless access point nin my modem knowing the pc that i am using is directly connected via cable to the modem. do you have any idea if this problem is related to the recent speed upgrade that i got? And what should i do to solve it?

#5349 September 6 2017

wollyka

kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

Sincwe my synchronization speed has been upgraded from 4 to 15 megabits per second, i have faced the following problem twice in tree days:

i am subscribed to the unmetered traffic at night, so i put my downloads and torrents on beforr going to bed and in the morning when i come to check on them i find that they were not completed and that i am not able to open any internet page ( i get a "cant open this page" error message ) not even send whatsap messages even though the modem is on and connected. this problem does not get fixed unless i modify the channel of the wireless access point nin my modem knowing the pc that i am using is directly connected via cable to the modem. do you have any idea if this problem is related to the recent speed upgrade that i got? And what should i do to solve it?

What router do you have? it looks like the router is being over-flood by the torrent traffic. Try to limit the number of open connections in your torrent program.

#5350 September 6 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:
kfc wrote:
kfc wrote:

Episode 4

What router do you have? it looks like the router is being over-flood by the torrent traffic. Try to limit the number of open connections in your torrent program.

I have idm's thomson modem and not more than 2-3 torrents running!

Never had this problem untill my synchronisation speed jumped to 15!

Board footer