LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3426 May 29 2017

elserge82

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Silentcontrol wrote:
nuclearcat wrote:

i doubt it will pass like that, why GDS(pocket DSP of IDM)? Why not other DSP? Why not one of 100s ISPs with whom GDS competing?
With pricing scale that was made up for IDM as well, all this stories smell VERY VERY fishy.
If it will pass as is - it means it is a graveyard for Lebanese telecom. As was mentioned before, when there is monopoly of private company, it means MUCH worse than state monopoly.
State telecom, Ogero, still interested in customers satisfaction, but private company without competition will do it's best to cash their monopoly and milk citizens to latest penny they can pay.

i don't think it is exclusive for GDS from what i researched so far any dsp with the paper GDS got in the year 2000 can profit from that the only downside is for ogero the Private DSP/ISP will be faster to install their fiber optics network and that will out compete ogero and ogero might lose a lot of clients ( big clients not home users).
to why GDS is on the news?! i assume it is because they are the first to take advantage of it, but i am sure more and more dsps will follow.

Good news, based on my latest info,I can confirm that  it is not exclusive to GDS. I just knew the name of the other company that already had the same rights as GDS
Funny thing:D they didn't know they had it lol.

Last edited by elserge82 (May 29 2017)

#3427 May 29 2017

nuclearcat

If it was exist from beginning, i'm sure minister will mention it, when he was grilled on session.

#3428 May 29 2017

H.S

aliessayli2 wrote:
H.S wrote:

@aliessayli2, Where is your CO? it should as all centrals support other DSL modulations. You might want to try another modem as well.

Cheyyah CO, also tried a lot of modems in the past couple years none worked to sync other than adsl2+

Seems like your CO doesn't support other DSL modulations, which is weird!

#3429 May 31 2017

ManOwaRR

الجراح: تخفيض اسعار الانترنت لن يبحث في مجلس الوزراء اليوم

#3430 May 31 2017

amkahal

ManOwaRR wrote:

You broke my heart :(

#3431 May 31 2017

ManOwaRR

we will get there , we will get there maybe  at summer's end =))

#3432 May 31 2017

chassis

I just subbed to the new student plan and i must say it's realy impressive

300mb Whatsapp bundle
440 sms
5GB internet
9hrs Talk time
3 month free Anghami subscription
1 Free Uber ride...
All for $15

pretty good coming from the $19 1.75gb package

Last edited by chassis (May 31 2017)

#3433 May 31 2017

Xsever

ManOwaRR wrote:

For those that don't understand Arabic, the Minister of Telecom announced that the internet price reduction will not be discussed today during the Council of Ministers meeting today.

#3434 May 31 2017

AVOlio

chassis wrote:

300mb Whatsapp bundle
440 sms
5GB internet
9hrs Talk time
1 Free Uber ride...
All for $15

Which University you go to?
Also how old are you if I may ask,  because I heard the plan is age restricted.  Should be under 24.

#3435 May 31 2017

omar_killer

AVOlio wrote:
chassis wrote:

300mb Whatsapp bundle
440 sms
5GB internet
9hrs Talk time
1 Free Uber ride...
All for $15

Which University you go to?
Also how old are you if I may ask,  because I heard the plan is age restricted.  Should be under 24.

I also subscribed to the student plan two days ago, from AUST and I'm 23

#3436 May 31 2017

chassis

nope no age restriction, i'm 25 years old and doing my MBA at LAU

#3437 May 31 2017

AVOlio

chassis wrote:

nope no age restriction, i'm 25 years old and doing my MBA at LAU

This is a relief!!  Pheww.
Now just waiting for my university to initiate the subscription plan... They already took my info.

#3438 May 31 2017

ManOwaRR

so any idea what was discussed  in the council today , since our friends didn't have time to put the decree   on the schedule <3

#3439 June 1 2017

Georges01

Seems like banning wonder woman is more important that upgrading the internet.

#3440 June 1 2017

Nemesis-301

Georges01 wrote:

Ironically they had no problem allowing world war z when it came out....
as it was portrayed as israel the defenders of humanity and arab/palastinians being the zombies..

#3441 June 1 2017

nuclearcat

Upgrading internet didn't pass, i guess, because decree has several parts, one pleasant for your eyes(as users), another, hidden - is highly disruptive for government and private business (beneficial only for one private company). Probably someone hoped it will pass as is, as most people don't really care about second one and voiced massive happiness with first one. Hopefully they will make it fair and pass it as it should be, beneficial equally for all.
Adding cherry on top, signed questionable decision to grant fiber for GDS, before price drop - make situation even worse.

#3442 June 1 2017

kareem_nasser

nuclearcat wrote:

Upgrading internet didn't pass, i guess, because decree has several parts, one pleasant for your eyes(as users), another, hidden - is highly disruptive for government and private business (beneficial only for one private company). Probably someone hoped it will pass as is, as most people don't really care about second one and voiced massive happiness with first one. Hopefully they will make it fair and pass it as it should be, beneficial equally for all.
Adding cherry on top, signed questionable decision to grant fiber for GDS, before price drop - make situation even worse.

I don't see what is the wrong with having both GDS and OGERO working on the infrastructure a problem. I mean GDS is a DSP and as a DSP which has an ISP under its belt, usually in civilized countries has the right to deploy its own infrastructure.

Also I think OGERO is a private company that manages the Lebanese telecom infrastructure under the guidance of Ministry of Telecommunication.

Please do correct me if i am wrong nuclearcat.

#3443 June 1 2017

nuclearcat

Because main question rise - why GDS only? What about other DSPs and ISPs? Especially because GDS are pocket DSP of IDM.
Current scheme crafted such way, that will pulverize Ogero and other private companies after while.
Fair is when - or there is government monopoly, or there is regulated market for everybody.
In civilized countries, sorry, any company allowed to lay it's infrastructure, just they have to follow standards, but they dont need exclusive licenses and privileges.

#3444 June 2 2017

AVOlio

Georges01 wrote:

Seriously,  that's what they were doing in the meeting?  Banning a movie solely because the nationality of one of its actors.
Omg..

Why haven't they banned her other movies as well?  Superman vs batman,  and the fast and furious movies she's been in aswell.

#3445 June 2 2017

ballad

AVOlio wrote:
Georges01 wrote:

Seriously,  that's what they were doing in the meeting?  Banning a movie solely because the nationality of one of its actors.
Omg..

Why haven't they banned her other movies as well?  Superman vs batman,  and the fast and furious movies she's been in aswell.

today's meeting is considered a fruitful one too, usually they go sit and have a dinner and leave without doing anything useful.

#3446 June 2 2017

kfc

nuclearcat wrote:

Because main question rise - why GDS only? What about other DSPs and ISPs? Especially because GDS are pocket DSP of IDM.
Current scheme crafted such way, that will pulverize Ogero and other private companies after while.
Fair is when - or there is government monopoly, or there is regulated market for everybody.
In civilized countries, sorry, any company allowed to lay it's infrastructure, just they have to follow standards, but they dont need exclusive licenses and privileges.

there is no monopoly. it is open to all dsps. another dsp will get a licence very soon.

#3447 June 2 2017

Draguen

Guys, my 2 cent, as most of you know i was very eager to see that decree pass (like a month and a half ago) but frankly, I doubt it will.

I'm starting to wonder if we are beating a dead horse, maybe we should put pressure on Mr. Kreidieh so to remove the obviously-problem-making clauses so it can pass.

#3448 June 2 2017

xazbrat

Draguen wrote:

Guys, my 2 cent, as most of you know i was very eager to see that decree pass (like a month and a half ago) but frankly, I doubt it will.

I'm starting to wonder if we are beating a dead horse, maybe we should put pressure on Mr. Kreidieh so to remove the obviously-problem-making clauses so it can pass.

I don't think he has much say in that part of the decree, but what really should be done is finding a way to streamline the process so that changes to plans don't have to be rubberstamped by a bunch of uncaring bureaucrats. Since Ogero is technically a private company, the only changes that should require any approval are major changes.  Apparently getting bids on 800+ cabinets for millions of $$$'s doesn't need council approval--why do changes to prices do?

#3449 June 2 2017

Nemesis-301

I was hoping the decree would pass and we would get new plans, since I'm very dissatisfied with wise...
subscribed to 2MB unlimited, and there is a daily cap of 2GB for it, once you pass it the speed goes down from 195~200kb/s to 35kb/s, and this is why I can't download anything, and their limited plans do not have unlimited night traffics, I cannot download the games I buy from steam, and steam summer sale is coming up! (june 22)
I don't know what to do..
is there any isp that offers unlimited night traffic with no fup?

#3450 June 2 2017

Super Official

Nemesis-301 wrote:

I was hoping the decree would pass and we would get new plans, since I'm very dissatisfied with wise...
subscribed to 2MB unlimited, and there is a daily cap of 2GB for it, once you pass it the speed goes down from 195~200kb/s to 35kb/s, and this is why I can't download anything, and their limited plans do not have unlimited night traffics, I cannot download the games I buy from steam, and steam summer sale is coming up! (june 22)
I don't know what to do..
is there any isp that offers unlimited night traffic with no fup?

I'm with idm, no FUP on unlimited nights.

Board footer