LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3326 May 20 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

up to 70* 40 is for lines that can handle 16mb

#3327 May 20 2017

xazbrat

kfc wrote:

On Thursday, I emailed thepeople@ogero.gov.lb to request a speed test for my DSL line and I got positively surprised by two things:

- First, they replied very fast within 24 hours!
- Second, they told me that I am 800 metres far from the central (knowing that i live at least 4km away from it)  and that therefore my line can handle a speed up to 23 mbps!

Does this actually mean that an active cabinet was installed in my neighborhood? In this case, shouldn't the speed reach at least 50mbps as Ogero chairman said before?

Cool and congrats---I am going to email them at the end of the month when the cabinet is supposed to finish installing.  A quick question though--did you ask them in Arabic or English or do you think it matters?  If it is in Arabic, I am going to have to get another family member to do it.

#3328 May 20 2017

kfc

xazbrat wrote:
kfc wrote:

On Thursday, I emailed thepeople@ogero.gov.lb to request a speed test for my DSL line and I got positively surprised by two things:

- Second, they told me that I am 800 metres far from the central (knowing that i live at least 4km away from it)  and that therefore my line can handle a speed up to 23 mbps!

Does this actually mean that an active cabinet was installed in my neighborhood? In this case, shouldn't the speed reach at least 50mbps as Ogero chairman said before?

Cool and congrats---I am going to email them at the end of the month when the cabinet is supposed to finish installing.  A quick question though--did you ask them in Arabic or English or do you think it matters?  If it is in Arabic, I am going to have to get another family member to do it.

no in english. and they replied in english.

I just explained to them the changes that occured to the stats of my DSL line in the past months and asked for a new speed test.

#3329 May 20 2017

Silentcontrol

kfc wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
kfc wrote:

no in english. and they replied in english.

I just explained to them the changes that occured to the stats of my DSL line in the past months and asked for a new speed test.

the 50 mb/s speed is a theoretical number that the network can handle.
right now we are limited by the technology ADSL2+ and my friend this is way out dated max speed attainable is 24 mb/s so if you can handle 23 consider yourself to be one of the luckiest.
think of it that way you have 8 mb/s connection now but your wireless technology is limited to a 2mb/s because it is an old router. basically the same analogy .
so until we move on ,to what i assume is the next step is , to VDSL we are limited by the 24mb/s speed.
that's why adsl2+ world wide has no speed limit its is already one of the slowest internet they have it wont sell if they limit it more.

#3330 May 20 2017

Silentcontrol

nuclearcat wrote:

i doubt it will pass like that, why GDS(pocket DSP of IDM)? Why not other DSP? Why not one of 100s ISPs with whom GDS competing?
With pricing scale that was made up for IDM as well, all this stories smell VERY VERY fishy.
If it will pass as is - it means it is a graveyard for Lebanese telecom. As was mentioned before, when there is monopoly of private company, it means MUCH worse than state monopoly.
State telecom, Ogero, still interested in customers satisfaction, but private company without competition will do it's best to cash their monopoly and milk citizens to latest penny they can pay.

i don't think it is exclusive for GDS from what i researched so far any dsp with the paper GDS got in the year 2000 can profit from that the only downside is for ogero the Private DSP/ISP will be faster to install their fiber optics network and that will out compete ogero and ogero might lose a lot of clients ( big clients not home users).
to why GDS is on the news?! i assume it is because they are the first to take advantage of it, but i am sure more and more dsps will follow.

#3331 May 20 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

#3332 May 20 2017

Xsever

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

Thanks for sharing! If the Prime Minister is saying next week, then it's probably next week.

#3333 May 20 2017

xazbrat

Xsever wrote:
Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

Thanks for sharing! If the Prime Minister is saying next week, then it's probably next week.

He actually said this week or next week, but still good to hear from the PM himself.  Hopefully that means plans and speeds roll out next month

#3334 May 20 2017

Moudimadi

Hello Guys, just got upgraded today to the 2 Mbit speed. I live in Doha Aramoun, My line can handle now 20 mbit download. I'm subscribed to 8Mbit speed. I dont't know why they gave me the 2Mbit instead of 8. I Contacted Mr,Imad Kreidieh on twitter. He told me that i should change my plan. I told him that i'm already subscribed to the 8Mbit. What about you xazbrat?

#3335 May 21 2017

xazbrat

Moudimadi wrote:

Hello Guys, just got upgraded today to the 2 Mbit speed. I live in Doha Aramoun, My line can handle now 20 mbit download. I'm subscribed to 8Mbit speed. I dont't know why they gave me the 2Mbit instead of 8. I Contacted Mr,Imad Kreidieh on twitter. He told me that i should change my plan. I told him that i'm already subscribed to the 8Mbit. What about you xazbrat?

Congratz--Unfortunately, I haven't been upgraded yet.  Hopefully they are doing this in stages and my turn will come up soon.  The article did say it would take 10 days for the cabinet fully up and running and they only started working on it yesterday.  I am on the 2 mb (recieving 1 mb) unlimited plan so maybe that might be another issue.

Last edited by xazbrat (May 21 2017)

#3336 May 21 2017

gamer4life

Does vdsl technology help gamers by lowering the ping? Or is it only speed related?

#3337 May 21 2017

ManOwaRR

higher speed , ping wont decrease into we are full fiber as far as i know , can be wrong though

#3338 May 21 2017

nuclearcat

depends on your profile, long as you stay on a DLM-1 profile, you will have a 1ms ping each way.

profiles are tiered...

DLM-1 1ms 0INP

DLM-2 8ms 0INP
DLM-4 8ms 1INP *9
DLM-6 8ms 2INP

DLM-3 16ms 0INP
DLM-5 16ms 1INP
DLM-7 16ms 2INP
DLM-8 16ms 4INP

I think ping is increasing with VDSL by 10-20 ms average, my friend connected with VDSL2(TELECOM) now, and his ping higher by 8 ms on DLM-1 profile compare to ADSL2+ without interleaving. 8 ms is not big deal, but if you on other DLMs then you will get increase from 8 to 32 i think.

#3339 May 21 2017

ManOwaRR

nuclearcat , with fulll fiber connection , wont we get ping decrease  i think arround 10-15ms  , no ?

#3340 May 21 2017

nuclearcat

Depends on QoS settings, but i think for Ogero this technology will let to set latency for gamers in sub-ms(below 1ms) range.
Sure still international link latency will stay, but after fiber is ready, it will worth trying to tune it as well. With *DSL doesnt worth.
They might charge for that some small fee, as it will decrease whole link capacity, but it will be insignificant amount, comparing with way superior low latency.

#3341 May 21 2017

ManOwaRR

good to know .

thanks nuclearcat

#3342 May 22 2017

nuclearcat

#3343 May 23 2017

chassis

So did anyone tune in ?

#3344 May 23 2017

AVOlio

You can go ahead and listen to the entire show here.

#3345 May 23 2017

chassis

Thanks

#3346 May 23 2017

infiniteloop

Even if they  sign the decree tomorrow I doubt private ISPs will have time to release the new packs due to administrative stuff like printing new prepaid cards unless they already prepared them just in case

#3347 May 23 2017

thephoenician

According to this article "...the two lowest-priced DSL packages, which an estimated 90 percent of legal users opt for, according to interviews with private players and an Ogero official that Executive conducted in 2014."

Also monthly overcharges constituted more than a third of Ogero's revenues in 2014

So the vast majority of subscribers won't benefit from the awaited plans, instead they'll have to pay even more in overcharges! (at 4mb/s people will easily surpass their 40GB limit, more speed => higher resolution => higher data consumption => higher bills (especially ogero subscribers)

Well played MoT!

#3348 May 23 2017

ManOwaRR

No matter what they do , well played well played , the plans are good but lebanese people never satisfied...

#3349 May 23 2017

nuclearcat

+1 ManOwaRR, but not everybody think like this, many people are positive.
Plus, people can learn how to manage their quota, if they want. Option for higher speed is perfect, as option to limit it to old values by yourself - exist.
P.S. As one ISP said, even i make internet free, tomorrow some people will come and ask "when you will pay us for using your internet" :)

#3350 May 23 2017

xazbrat

nuclearcat wrote:

+1 ManOwaRR, but not everybody think like this, many people are positive.
Plus, people can learn how to manage their quota, if they want. Option for higher speed is perfect, as option to limit it to old values by yourself - exist.
P.S. As one ISP said, even i make internet free, tomorrow some people will come and ask "when you will pay us for using your internet" :)

Nuclearcat, you are preaching to the choir, so to speak, in this forum---what should really be done from Ogero and MoT side is to show people how to manage their quota or give them tools to help them do this, whether in the router/modem itself or by giving consumers warnings when they are going to reach their quota as we do with our phones.  However, since the overages are such big moneymakers for them, the chances of seeing something like this come to fruition are slim to none unless it gets forced on them by outside forces (not from our government obviously).

Board footer