LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3301 May 17 2017

rain_walker

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

So they didnt have time to read half a paragraph again?!

#3302 May 17 2017

Adlouni

infiniteloop wrote:

Is it finished?
Looks like we won't get new plans before September

I doubt. This country is making us hopeless.

#3303 May 17 2017

InVader

No luck again! The decree wasn't on the agenda of the CM meeting today.

#3304 May 17 2017

kfc

Imad Kreidieh@ikreidieh  45m45 minutes ago
The decree was not rejected it was not on the agenda. It required the validation of the finance ministry.

#3305 May 17 2017

chassis

meh stopped caring after he announced the packages on twitter...  i'm sticking with the 2mb unlimited package as all the others are a joke

#3306 May 17 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

rip ogero, welcome privatized ftth

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (May 17 2017)

#3307 May 17 2017

nuclearcat

i doubt it will pass like that, why GDS(pocket DSP of IDM)? Why not other DSP? Why not one of 100s ISPs with whom GDS competing?
With pricing scale that was made up for IDM as well, all this stories smell VERY VERY fishy.
If it will pass as is - it means it is a graveyard for Lebanese telecom. As was mentioned before, when there is monopoly of private company, it means MUCH worse than state monopoly.
State telecom, Ogero, still interested in customers satisfaction, but private company without competition will do it's best to cash their monopoly and milk citizens to latest penny they can pay.

Last edited by nuclearcat (May 17 2017)

#3308 May 17 2017

infiniteloop

The more there are companies the best for us, competition between them will give us good deals, also without the government to dictate prices meaning a sort of hidden monopoly like Alfa/MTC.
This country is frozen with this old system and as long as it's like that we will see a very limited evolution of internet, Lebanese are capitalists lovers so why not let the telecom industry be ruled by competitive companies without ties to the government? Of course they will still have to pay a small fees as taxes but without having politicians dictating internet plans.

#3309 May 17 2017

EzikMezik

Well, a market ruled by private companies is still a bad thing, a balance need to be made between ogero and the other private companies to have a healthy market.

#3310 May 17 2017

nuclearcat

EzikMezik = absolutely agree with you

#3311 May 17 2017

Raficoo

Anyone got an English article for that? or explain briefly what the article means?

edit: nvm, found this http://www.lbcgroup.tv/news/d/316411/re … se-stat/en

Last edited by Raficoo (May 17 2017)

#3312 May 18 2017

nuclearcat

http://www.lebanondebate.com/news/334066
Is anything interesting there? Seems more detailed, but google translate can't help me much.

#3313 May 19 2017

DG

So when Imad Kreidieh says "I am confident the decree will pass next week"... any idea on which day we should expect this to happen ?
Moreover, will the prices be immediately adjusted (on the day the decree is approved) or will we have to wait many days and/or weeks ?

#3314 May 19 2017

ManOwaRR

Is there a cm session announced for the next week

#3315 May 19 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

DG wrote:

So when Imad Kreidieh says "I am confident the decree will pass next week"... any idea on which day we should expect this to happen ?
Moreover, will the prices be immediately adjusted (on the day the decree is approved) or will we have to wait many days and/or weeks ?

we need to wait for next month

#3316 May 19 2017

Khalil7

ManOwaRR wrote:

Is there a cm session announced for the next week

There's a cm next wednesday

#3317 May 19 2017

kfc

On Thursday, I emailed thepeople@ogero.gov.lb to request a speed test for my DSL line and I got positively surprised by two things:

- First, they replied very fast within 24 hours!
- Second, they told me that I am 800 metres far from the central (knowing that i live at least 4km away from it)  and that therefore my line can handle a speed up to 23 mbps!

Does this actually mean that an active cabinet was installed in my neighborhood? In this case, shouldn't the speed reach at least 50mbps as Ogero chairman said before?

#3318 May 19 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

it should reach like 70mb because imad said 70 is the max speed

#3319 May 19 2017

Khalil7

kfc wrote:

On Thursday, I emailed thepeople@ogero.gov.lb to request a speed test for my DSL line and I got positively surprised by two things:

- Second, they told me that I am 800 metres far from the central (knowing that i live at least 4km away from it)  and that therefore my line can handle a speed up to 23 mbps!

Does this actually mean that an active cabinet was installed in my neighborhood? In this case, shouldn't the speed reach at least 50mbps as Ogero chairman said before?

As far as i know, ogero have only one active cabinet in service at sharhbil till now.. 2 new active cabinets will be in service next week at aramoun and bshamoun

Last edited by Khalil7 (May 19 2017)

#3320 May 20 2017

kfc

Khalil7 wrote:
kfc wrote:

As far as i know, ogero have only one active cabinet in service at sharhbil till now.. 2 new active cabinets will be in service next week at aramoun and bshamoun

well this is what Ogero told me!!!! knowing that i live very far from the central!

#3321 May 20 2017

Mylo89

kfc wrote:

What is your line attenuation value ?

#3322 May 20 2017

kfc

Mylo89 wrote:
kfc wrote:

knowing that i live far from the centrale

#3323 May 20 2017

Mylo89

kfc wrote:
Mylo89 wrote:
kfc wrote:

Nice! 14 is around 1 KM , well maybe you have an excellent copper cable. Can you sell me ?! ;p  Possibly there is be an active cabinet around, because based on my knowledge some areas already have, example: Sharhabil and Batroun

#3324 May 20 2017

kfc

Mylo89 wrote:
kfc wrote:
Mylo89 wrote:

Nice! 14 is around 1 KM , well maybe you have an excellent copper cable. Can you sell me ?! ;p  Possibly there is be an active cabinet around, because based on my knowledge some areas already have, example: Sharhabil and Batroun

9 months ago, my attenuation was 52! So something drastic has changed.

But if active cabinet was installed, why is my speed limited to 23 mbps? isn't it supposed to be at least 50 mbps as Ogero chairman stated multiple times?

#3325 May 20 2017

Mylo89

kfc wrote:
Mylo89 wrote:
kfc wrote:

9 months ago, my attenuation was 52! So something drastic has changed.

But if active cabinet was installed, why is my speed limited to 23 mbps? isn't it supposed to be at least 50 mbps as Ogero chairman stated multiple times?

Wow man! When they start with VDSL service, you will be able to get a speed up to 40 mbps. You have to buy a vdsl modem then to get that speed

Board footer