LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3276 May 13 2017

eWizzard

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

EzikMezik wrote:

Unlimited nights my arse, prepare to get smashed by the FUP hammer.

33nutu0.jpg

#3277 May 13 2017

andrew55

I wonder if all COs will have the "speed unleashed". I am not aware that all COs are equiped to handle such bandwidth. Maybe just COs in the large cities? Something to think about if the new packages are made official this Wednesday...

#3278 May 13 2017

infiniteloop

kfc wrote:
Draguen wrote:

Guys, super bad news.
Turns out our beloved and obviously far seeing visionary decided that FTTH is useless, so it won't be implemented, instead they will and i quote "only renovate and modernise the existing system", instead of swapping the whole copper network by fiber.

https://www.lorientlejour.com/article/1 … ernet.html

As per his opinion based by years of expertise in Lalaland, our network can deliver a minimum of 25mb once modernised (based on copper?).

Frankly whenever a politician make a promise, divide by 5 the minimum to be expected

Imad Kreidieh said that they will do fiber to the cabinet to everyone but fiber to the home for everyone is very costly.

Another excuse to promote privatization of telephony and internet in this country, if they let  private isp do the work then unleash a real competition between them we will all be wining, the isp will make lot of money and we will get faster and faster internet (while keeping prices low) . Tech evolution for the mass shouldn't be controlled by politics, these people give billions of $ for useless concerts (Byblos,Jounieh,...) but when it's for internet they suddenly don't have a penny

#3279 May 13 2017

nuclearcat

I am not sure it is good idea.
I believe ogero and private ISPs should co-exist, but this subject require balance finetuning.

#3280 May 13 2017

EzikMezik

eWizzard wrote:
EzikMezik wrote:

Unlimited nights my arse, prepare to get smashed by the FUP hammer.

http://i64.tinypic.com/33nutu0.jpg

oh my, this is genius
Well at least there's Solaire (obligatory praise the sun \[T]/) to help you with that fight in the game, in real life we're alone to the mercy of the evil ISPs.

#3281 May 13 2017

andrew55

infiniteloop wrote:
kfc wrote:
Draguen wrote:

Guys, super bad news.
Turns out our beloved and obviously far seeing visionary decided that FTTH is useless, so it won't be implemented, instead they will and i quote "only renovate and modernise the existing system", instead of swapping the whole copper network by fiber.

https://www.lorientlejour.com/article/1 … ernet.html

As per his opinion based by years of expertise in Lalaland, our network can deliver a minimum of 25mb once modernised (based on copper?).

Frankly whenever a politician make a promise, divide by 5 the minimum to be expected

Imad Kreidieh said that they will do fiber to the cabinet to everyone but fiber to the home for everyone is very costly.

Another excuse to promote privatization of telephony and internet in this country, if they let  private isp do the work then unleash a real competition between them we will all be wining, the isp will make lot of money and we will get faster and faster internet (while keeping prices low) . Tech evolution for the mass shouldn't be controlled by politics, these people give billions of $ for useless concerts (Byblos,Jounieh,...) but when it's for internet they suddenly don't have a penny

Becareful what you wish for. The telecom sector in the US is fully privatized yet each city has one or two Internet service providers at most and the speeds are slow and expensive at the same time compared to packages in some European and Asian countries. The major cities in Lebanon can have FTTH and the rest can get Internet via coaxial cables. DOCSIS 3.1 can provide speeds up to 10 Gb per second download. All that is required is fiber to the node which the government plans on deploying anyway but of course they want to keep ADSL and VDSL which are older technologies. High speeds can still be reached with copper although FTTH is much better quality but costly at the same time.

#3282 May 14 2017

raichu

Tayyar wrote on Twitter:
لا جلسة التشريعية غداً ولا قانون انتخاب https://t.co/6Dto3TkbIx

#3283 May 14 2017

Xsever

raichu wrote:

Tayyar wrote on Twitter:
لا جلسة التشريعية غداً ولا قانون انتخاب https://t.co/6Dto3TkbIx

That's the Parliament (Legislative تشريعية) not the Council of Ministers (Executive تنفيذية) which will convene on Wednesday.

Last edited by Xsever (May 15 2017)

#3284 May 14 2017

infiniteloop

About that, is the government going into summer holidays in June or July?

#3285 May 15 2017

perfectable

أنّ الحريري أطلع عون خلال لقائهما أمس على جدول أعمال جلسة مجلس الوزراء التي دعا إلى انعقادها في السراي الأربعاء المقبل، مشيرةً إلى أنّ الجدول يتضمن 52 بنداً أغلبها بنود مالية، بينما أبرزها بند يخصّ وزارة الدفاع الوطني ويتضمن الموافقة على تطويع 4000 عسكري في الجيش

#3286 May 15 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

perfectable wrote:

أنّ الحريري أطلع عون خلال لقائهما أمس على جدول أعمال جلسة مجلس الوزراء التي دعا إلى انعقادها في السراي الأربعاء المقبل، مشيرةً إلى أنّ الجدول يتضمن 52 بنداً أغلبها بنود مالية، بينما أبرزها بند يخصّ وزارة الدفاع الوطني ويتضمن الموافقة على تطويع 4000 عسكري في الجيش

So it's a good or bad thing?

#3287 May 15 2017

AVOlio

Hopefully a good thing.
The meeting includes 52 clauses (says the article),  hopefully one of them will be the new interest plans.

#3288 May 15 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

52 seems like a big number, and there is the army thing (which will be the priority), and the ministry of defense clause too

Last edited by Ahmad Toutounji (May 15 2017)

#3289 May 15 2017

ManOwaRR

So i guess its gonna be next week again lol

I do hope not though

#3290 May 15 2017

enthralled

Will there be new mobile data plans/offers as well?

#3291 May 15 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

enthralled wrote:

Will there be new mobile data plans/offers as well?

Yes i forgot to share

#3292 May 15 2017

AVOlio

Inshalla kheir about wednesday!

About the mobile data plans offers, we will see how that would turn out to the general public.
Though on another note, my university just announced the new student plan to us, and asked us to provide our date (numbers and student IDs) and when i asked them when will it be available, they said max one month, and then you can start subscribing to it.

#3293 May 15 2017

infiniteloop

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:
perfectable wrote:

So it's a good or bad thing?

Nop!
They will lose most of the time for the army thingy
But anyway I am not unhappy because I prefer actual plans with unlimited night option than a possibility to lose it with very expensive quotas, they just switched speed with quotas relationship with price, so actual prices are high depending on the speed but you have unlimited downloads at night (optional), incoming plans prices are high if you want +150gb (and you will want that without unlimited night) but speed are better. Choose your poison

#3294 May 15 2017

Draguen

Guys, it's a long shot but at least it's kinda good to see
Twitter screen shot

Edit: im retarded with img tags so : https://ibb.co/dHDRfk

Last edited by Draguen (May 15 2017)

#3295 May 15 2017

nuclearcat

ot very pleased with your internet speeds? Think about the people Down Under. Australia's "bungled" National Broadband Network (NBN) has been used as a "cautionary tale" for other countries to take note of. Despite the massive amount of money being pumped into the NBN, the New York Times reports, the internet speeds still lagged behind the US, most of western Europe, Japan and South Korea -- even Kenya. The article highlights that Australia was the first country where a national plan to cover every house or business was considered and this ambitious plan was hampered by changes in government and a slow rollout (Editor's note: the link could be paywalled; alternative source), partly because of negotiations with Telstra about the fibre installation. From the report:
Australia, a wealthy nation with a widely envied quality of life, lags in one essential area of modern life: its internet speed. Eight years after the country began an unprecedented broadband modernization effort that will cost at least 49 billion Australian dollars, or $36 billion, its average internet speed lags that of the United States, most of Western Europe, Japan and South Korea. In the most recent ranking of internet speeds by Akamai, a networking company, Australia came in at an embarrassing No. 51, trailing developing economies like Thailand and Kenya. For many here, slow broadband connections are a source of frustration and an inspiration for gallows humor. One parody video ponders what would happen if an American with a passion for Instagram and streaming "Scandal" were to switch places with an Australian resigned to taking bathroom breaks as her shows buffer.
The article shares this anecdote: "Hundreds of thousands of people from around the world have downloaded Hand of Fate, an action video game made by a studio in Brisbane, Defiant Development. But when Defiant worked with an audio designer in Melbourne, more than 1,000 miles away, Mr. Jaffit knew it would be quicker to send a hard drive by road than to upload the files, which could take several days."

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/17/05/1 … t#comments

This is why it is not easy to do.

#3296 May 16 2017

Ahmad Toutounji

anybody knows when is the council tomorrow?

#3297 May 16 2017

InVader

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

anybody knows when is the council tomorrow?

11 AM IIRC

#3298 May 17 2017

GreenM

#3299 May 17 2017

Adnan

Perfect timing for bringing this up.

#3300 May 17 2017

infiniteloop

Is it finished?
Looks like we won't get new plans before September

Last edited by infiniteloop (May 17 2017)

Board footer