LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 March 31 2012

babum

Re: Feedback for Ogero

it could be that in order to afford higher bandwidth (Because of the much higher night demand) they have to resort to buying bandwidth from satellite rather than fiber because it is cheaper. This way day internet could get affected.

Also, as you may have read many comments of people saying that they will switch to Ogero if it happens. They will also be using the internet during the day, straining the current capacity of the system.

#27 March 31 2012

The-MMMs

I think were generalizing here

Im pretty sure that Ogero will FUP the abusers (even though it will be unlimited FREE night)

That being said, Ogero, why am i still on 256kbit connection; ive nagged on twitter to Sehnaoui about it, managed to get a reply, replied back but nothing, so now ive just passed all my research onto Ontornet; i hope they come up with some solution to these areas, or at least some compensation (im not asking for the impossible to happen, but it isn't fair that others enjoy the faster speeds and i don't at the same price)

Last edited by The-MMMs (March 31 2012)

#28 March 31 2012

DG

babum wrote:

Also, as you may have read many comments of people saying that they will switch to Ogero if it happens. They will also be using the internet during the day, straining the current capacity of the system.

You have a point. Let's hope this doesn't happen... or we can, kiss online gaming goodbye as xterm said.

#29 March 31 2012

babum

Well I think it is going to be like that in the short term, lower speeds and very bad connection. But once Ogero settles down and increases capacity things will go back to normal.

#30 March 31 2012

DG

The funny thing is that Ogero's connection has been bad for the past 2 months or so.
I get extremely low download speeds at night and speetest's page doesn't even load... and the unlimited night traffic is not even on yet.

#31 March 31 2012

Fischer

If you're interested you could do like me :)

in lebanon we have ogero, and independent Isp right?

I don't use ogero, even if ogero gives you a very fast internet connection, it give 4 gb bandwidth per month, you know what lets assume it is 10 gb, not enough for me, it's enough if you just use facebook and these stuff,  i waste 2gb of bandwidth per day lol,, coz i keep downloading and uploading stuff lol

what i did is go with an independent isp, which give a "good" speed, with 2 gb of bandwidth per day, and to boost my internet speed i use google dns, (you could use opendns, in my case google dns is better, it depends on your location)

and now i can fully load a 30m youtube video in 1m or less  i have an internet speed about 5mb/s... you may say not as fast as ogero... i say i don't have to worry about my bandwidth

#32 March 31 2012

yasamoka

someone wrote:

If you're interested you could do like me :)

in lebanon we have ogero, and independent Isp right?

I don't use ogero, even if ogero gives you a very fast internet connection, it give 4 gb bandwidth per month, you know what lets assume it is 10 gb, not enough for me, it's enough if you just use facebook and these stuff,  i waste 2gb of bandwidth per day lol,, coz i keep downloading and uploading stuff lol

what i did is go with an independent isp, which give a "good" speed, with 2 gb of bandwidth per day, and to boost my internet speed i use google dns, (you could use opendns, in my case google dns is better, it depends on your location)

and now i can fully load a 30m youtube video in 1m or less  i have an internet speed about 5mb/s... you may say not as fast as ogero... i say i don't have to worry about my bandwidth

I didn't understand what you did there. May you explain more clearly please?

Last edited by yasamoka (March 31 2012)

#33 March 31 2012

Fischer

I didn't understand what you did there. May you explain more clearly please?

I went with an independent isp, which gives you  2b of bandwith per day, but it is not as fast as ogero. there are a lot of independent isp companies

and i use google dns, instead of the default dns that i have, to boost the speed

https://developers.google.com/speed/pub … docs/using

please note that i am paying 45$

#34 March 31 2012

babum

independent as in local guy?

#35 March 31 2012

Fischer

@babum well yes, but there are companies like fastnet and others

#36 March 31 2012

yasamoka

someone wrote:

and i use google dns, instead of the default dns that i have, to boost the speed

https://developers.google.com/speed/pub … docs/using

please note that i am paying 45$

Doesn't your choice of DNS only affect DNS lookup, which is how long it takes the DNS server to resolve the IP address of the domain name requested and send it to you? As in, how would it affect speed other than web browsing?

#37 March 31 2012

Fischer

@yasamoka true it only affects web browsing everything load faster, pages, youtube videos that;s what i said

#38 March 31 2012

Kassem

someone wrote:

@yasamoka true it only affects web browsing everything load faster, pages, youtube videos that;s what i said

No it does not.

#39 March 31 2012

Fischer

@kassem
yes it does, if u don't believe, read this post

http://lifehacker.com/5835775/google-dn … peed-boost

if you don't believe it, try it, if you don't want to, well... stick to what you believe, we all believe in things, whether they are right or wrong, if everyone believed in 1 thing, we would all have one religion... or no religion lol

DISCLAIMER I said in some cases, open dns is better than google dns, it depends on your location

Last edited by someone (March 31 2012)

#40 March 31 2012

Kassem

The reason behind the speed bump is that OpenDNS and Google are working with Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) to attach location data to the DNS requests, so when you request a web page, it will go to a server near you rather than, as previously mentioned possibly a server that's not closest to you.

That simply confirms yasamoka's post. But that does not mean that if your connection is 1Mbps, it's going to boost it to 4Mbps, not even to a 1.1Mbps. It simply means that it will cut down on the time it needs to resolve and locate the requested content, but it won't make the rate at which the bytes are transferred over the internet any faster.

Got it? :)

Last edited by Kassem (March 31 2012)

#41 March 31 2012

babum

Kassem wrote:

The reason behind the speed bump is that OpenDNS and Google are working with Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) to attach location data to the DNS requests, so when you request a web page, it will go to a server near you rather than, as previously mentioned possibly a server that's not closest to you.

That simply confirms yasamoka's post. But that does not mean that if your connection is 1Mbps, it's going to boost it to 4Mbps, not even to a 1.1Mbps. It simply means that it will cut down on the time it needs to resolve and locate the requested content, but it won't make the rate at which the bytes are transferred over the internet any faster.

Got it? :)

I love the tone of your message man, hahaha.

Anyway, I never felt any improvement whilst using any public DNS over the ISP's ones. (In terms of location of content speed)

#42 March 31 2012

yasamoka

babum wrote:

Anyway, I never felt any improvement whilst using any public DNS over the ISP's ones. (In terms of location of content speed)

Well, if your ISP's DNS server updates regularly, and doesn't need to redirect DNS requests to another DNS server, then the latency involved in DNS resolution would be equal to the latency between you and the ISP. Since this is naturally the lowest latency possible concerning any connection you make with an external IP address using your internet connection, then it makes sense that public DNS servers would not offer improvement over the ISP's ones. However, for less common URLs, a public DNS server may offer lower latencies to resolve the IP address of the domain name requested.

Kassem sums it up nicely.

Last edited by yasamoka (March 31 2012)

#43 April 1 2012

Kareem

Am I teh only one having issues wiz proper english in zis thread or wat ?

Edit : ....?

Edit2: l.o.l  it.s t.h.e  first of April

Last edited by Kareem (April 1 2012)

#44 April 1 2012

xazbrat

Anyone know if this measure made it to a vote yet?

#45 April 2 2012

thechosenjester

they shouldnt have mixed the upload with the download -.-

#46 April 2 2012

Raficoo

hopefully after today's cabinet meeting we'll hear some news of it

#47 April 3 2012

maba723

Nicolas Sehnaoui
Good News: Unlimited Quota from 12AM to 7AM just been accepted by the Council of Ministers! Activation after publishing in Jaride Rasmiye

#48 April 3 2012

Metalloy

and that would be effective starting tommorow?

#49 April 3 2012

xazbrat

Metalloy wrote:

and that would be effective starting tommorow?

It would be whenever they get around to publishing it--IIRC it gets released each Thursday, so it may make it this week.

Edit:  corrected day

Last edited by xazbrat (April 3 2012)

#50 April 3 2012

Aly

Now in order to have unlimited night traffic with Ogero:
1- You should wait for it to be published in the official gazette.
2- Once posted it will be applied on the beginning of the next month.
3- The beginning of the "next month" you will contact Ogero they will tell you they didn't hear about it yet.
4- Then when Ogero hears about it they will say their servers and infrastructure cannot handle it.
5- They will borrow a couple of routers and servers from a private company again.
6- They will start implementing this new feature on a slow pace, 4-5 centrals each month.
7- Goodbye QoS.

So the whole process, if everything went as planned, will take about 5-6 months.

Board footer