LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 August 25 2011

belal

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

At what time is the Official Gazette going to come out?
Where can we check it out online? I found this website but I doubt they'd upload it instantly.

#27 August 25 2011

xazbrat

ZeRaW wrote:

From what I understand the 6-8mbps is capped at 30GB down and 30GB up.
What about upload speeds?

Upload speeds are 20% of the download speeds--so depending on what the actual connection speed is--- anywhere from 1.2 to 1.6 mbps up.

#28 August 25 2011

bilal.ghalayini

belal wrote:

At what time is the Official Gazette going to come out?
Where can we check it out online? I found this website but I doubt they'd upload it instantly.

This is the official website of the Official Gazette: http://jo.pcm.gov.lb/j2011/

#29 August 25 2011

pak90

At the moment i have a DSL connection of 256 kbps, and according to my ISP it's the maximum they can give me. The question is when the new speeds are offered how are they going to provide me with the speed? I mean i think the reason why they can't give me more is because of the distance ... does that mean i'm screwed?

#30 August 25 2011

nuclearcat

pak90 - yes, new offers just will drop for you price and will increase quota

#31 August 25 2011

pak90

Nuclearcat, I'm sorry but i don't think i understood what you said. Did you say i'm just going to get an increase in quota but no increase in speed?

#32 August 25 2011

vic

If you can't actually get the increased speed because of the distance/infrastructure, you will get the maximum speed your connection can handle [which might remain 256k in your case], with the new quotas/prices.

#33 August 25 2011

imadthemad

Thanks for the response xterm

additionally i called terranet customer support and got some information

it seems they cant apply the decree yet as visp already has because there are still some issues that are unclear
Bandwidth cost doesnt seem to have been set, and i think by that he was talking about cost of the government selling bandwidth to the isp.
And I asked him about user bandwidth if it was going to be 4$ per extra gb he said that isnt 100% yet.
I asked about cost of packages and he confirmed prices will be cheaper than ogero's prices.
I asked if unlimited night and double speed will still apply and he confirmed that if you currently have it, you will still have it when the new packages arrive.
Lastly he said changes will most likely take effect beginning of october so don't hold your breath come september 24.

Last edited by imadthemad (August 25 2011)

#34 August 25 2011

Sami27

I emailed IDM support and they said they will implement the new speeds on October 1st. But didn't answer the other 3 questions that I asked along with the date...

#35 August 25 2011

Nemesis-301

pak90 wrote:

At the moment i have a DSL connection of 256 kbps, and according to my ISP it's the maximum they can give me. The question is when the new speeds are offered how are they going to provide me with the speed? I mean i think the reason why they can't give me more is because of the distance ... does that mean i'm screwed?

just wondering, whats your isp and where do you live?

#36 August 25 2011

pak90

damn i'm doomed to slow internet forever! I live in nahr ibrahim above the french lycee, isp is idm.

#37 August 25 2011

belal

Thanks Bilal.

pak90 check This then This.

Last edited by belal (August 25 2011)

#38 August 25 2011

kfc

I subscribed with Ogero 2-3 years ago for a short period then switched back to an illimited cable subscription.  If I want to subscribe again now with a private ISP, will they oblige to buy a new modem from them or I can use the one I got from Ogero (there is an Ogero label on it and it supports a speed up to 8  Mbps)?

#39 August 25 2011

trophyhunter

wait so all ISPs will have the fast internet to offer in about a month ?plus,how can i know up to what speed my modem handles? i have a thompson tg585 v7 modem

#40 August 25 2011

ILIA_93

kfc wrote:

I subscribed with Ogero 2-3 years ago for a short period then switched back to an illimited cable subscription.  If I want to subscribe again now with a private ISP, will they oblige to buy a new modem from them or I can use the one I got from Ogero (there is an Ogero label on it and it supports a speed up to 8  Mbps)?

I called Sodetel for the same issue ( I'm with Ogero now ) they told me that i can keep my modem, but they'll need to reprogram it or something. You'll just pay the subscription fee.

#41 August 25 2011

kdawg4.956

There is word going around that ogero are going to implement the unlimited night traffic-double speed plan, has anyone heard anything about this yet?

#42 August 25 2011

kfc

ILIA_93 wrote:
kfc wrote:

I called Sodetel for the same issue ( I'm with Ogero now ) they told me that i can keep my modem, but they'll need to reprogram it or something. You'll just pay the subscription fee.

Good. Any idea how much does subscription cost at sodetel? Their website seems not to open !

In this case do they still need 1-2 months to give me the connection?

Last edited by kfc (August 25 2011)

#43 August 25 2011

ILIA_93

kfc wrote:

Good. Any idea how much does subscription cost at sodetel? Their website seems not to open !

In this case do they still need 1-2 months to give me the connection?

It's around 40$, as for the time you'll wait, I have no idea. Call 1268 for more and exact infos.

#44 August 26 2011

kdawg4.956

Can somebody please tell me why ogero doesn't have unlimited night traffic and double speed?! And higher prices?! PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!!

#45 August 26 2011

hussam

kdawg4.956 wrote:

Can somebody please tell me why ogero doesn't have unlimited night traffic and double speed?! And higher prices?! PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!!

Ask Ogero but the obvious answer is they have a monopoly. why would they want to give you free nightly bandwidth?

#46 August 26 2011

RyanM

Can anyone confirm when Ogero will start using the new plans? im guessing right at the end of the month since then everyone will pay for this months usage and they can start the new plans on a blank slate but im just guessing. so if anyone can confirm that would be great!

#47 August 26 2011

Kareem

Pardon my ignorance but I'm trying to understand couple of illogical things here :

When Ogero introduced the DSL packages and rate, they limited the DSL bandwidth to 1mbps claiming that any bandwidth above it is not supported due to old infrastructure ( from home to DSLAM etc.. ) and HDSL modem is required with separate connection to network whatsoever as we are still using copper twisted cables etc..

In that case, how can we get our 2mpbs - 4mbps connections ? should we all upgrade to HDSL ? which I highly doubt

What about the extra fee if you are a heavy user and what about the upload speeds

Actually When I upgraded my Ogero connection from 512kbps to 1mbps last year, I couldn't use the G.dmt modulation anymore which seems to work better than other type of modulation ( latency 10ms lower between host and DSLAM and the rate was 512kbps/128kbps vs 507kbps/121kbps reported by the modem )

On a 1mbps from Ogero, I can only connect using ADSL2 or ADSL2+ modulation which seems to be weird...

Anyway here's what my modem reports :

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 33.8 34.0
Attenuation (dB): 27.5 12.3
Output Power (dBm): 12.0 0.4
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 9820 324
Rate (Kbps): 1022 250
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 53 75
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 35 7
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 16
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 1
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16 16
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 1.0947 14.2222
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 380 81
D (interleaver depth): 64 4
Delay (msec): 17 14

Super Frames: 42750788 137181
Super Frame Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 2522296500 710643
RS Correctable Errors: 512 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

================================================== =======

Statistics -- ADSL

Mode: ADSL2
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 39.6 29.0
Attenuation (dB): 16.5 12.1
Output Power (dBm): 12.2 0.4
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 13817 324
Rate (Kbps): 1023 252
MSGc (number of bytes in overhead channel message): 53 75
B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 35 7
M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 16
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 1 1
R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 16 16
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 1.0947 14.2222
L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame): 380 81
D (interleaver depth): 64 4
Delay (msec): 17 14

Super Frames: 3477 3064
Super Frame Errors: 0 0
RS Words: 205164 15499
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

Under G.dmt the attainable download rate was around 11mbps and upload was 1.4 mbps; unfortunately under ADSL2/ADSL2+ modulation, it's only 324kbps for the upload... The SNR was higher and attenuation was lower...

I am not sure if the ISPs will provide the new advertised bandwidth to end-users , but without a good QoS and latency, those numbers mean nothing unless all we care about is the extra quota and lower prices; but again, still better than nothing... crossed fingers.

Appreciate any comment or clarification

#48 August 26 2011

Monkey D. Luffy

How will this upgrading in the bandwith and price reduction affect Universities? (like USJ where internet their sucks or USEK where it sucks more)

#49 August 26 2011

The-MMMs

trophyhunter wrote:

wait so all ISPs will have the fast internet to offer in about a month ?plus,how can i know up to what speed my modem handles? i have a thompson tg585 v7 modem

web browser

User/pass = user/user

Go to broadband connection on the left hand side

it should show the speed that your currently on with some other info.

RyanM wrote:

Can anyone confirm when Ogero will start using the new plans? im guessing right at the end of the month since then everyone will pay for this months usage and they can start the new plans on a blank slate but im just guessing. so if anyone can confirm that would be great!

I called Ogero, and the tech guy told me "starting" from sep 1... god knows what he means by that.

I didn't feel he gave me an answer, just a well educated guess, but regardless they are working at it as we speak.

kdawg4.956 wrote:

Ogero are more interested in personal gain and quality of their connections. Give people their double speed and unlimited night and bye-bye QoS

if you only have in mind heavy browsing and downloading, then there is no reason not to take with an ISP that offers double speed / unlimited night .

Last edited by The-MMMs (August 26 2011)

#50 August 26 2011

AvoK95

what's gonna happened to stuff like WINS or Wise or Mobi ?

Board footer