LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 8 2005

mahdoum

Google could be an OS

Rumors are all abuzz that the search outfit Google is sitting down and writing its own operating system. The rumour started on http://www.scripting.com/ and is based on nothing other than the fact that the writer Dave Winer thinks it's odd that Google has hired Microsoft’s operating system architect, Mark Lucovsky. Winer reasons that they wouldn’t hire someone like that just to make the tea. Fair enough, if an OS is on the drawing board, chances are it would be based on something Vole has already done anyway, thus Lucovsky’s skills would be required. But then what would Google want with an OS? Alternatively Lucovsky could just make very good tea, which is an asset in any organization. One of Microsoft's key Windows architects has defected to Google. But at least so far, no one is talking about what Marc Lucovsky's new role will be at one of Microsoft's major rivals. A 16-year Microsoft veteran, Lucovsky was one of a handful of "Distinguished Engineers" at Microsoft. He is credited as one of the core dozen engineers that came from Digital Equipment Corp. to Microsoft and built the Windows NT operating system. He was charged with building the Windows NT executive, kernel, Win32 run-time and other key elements of the operating system. NT was the precursor to Windows Server. In 2000, Lucovsky was named the chief software architect for Microsoft's .Net My Services.

Source: here

Personally from reading round about this topic, it is highly unlikely that it could become an OS, but the a more reasonable reason for bringing Lucovsky to google is to integrate the .Net services into google services.

Has anyone else noticed how quickly and rapidly google has grown, they've aquired a number of program and services and are big right now

#2 March 8 2005

samer
Admin

Re: Google could be an OS

Has anyone else noticed how quickly and rapidly google has grown, they've aquired a number of program and services and are big right now

they are HUGE - checkout the google labs (labs.google.com) to see the new stuff they are working on. Their latest projects are Google Maps and Google Video.

#3 March 8 2005

mahdoum

Yeah i know about them two, and both has been released as beta. They also now have google weather. (google maps is now for USA and Canada)

#4 April 14 2005

rolf

mmmh, google is the n.1 search engine, and the most visited site on the net, BY FAR... now they are trying to become the n.1 email provider...
What's their next step towards world domination?

#5 April 15 2005

mahdoum

Buying a country I guess, so that they can compete with USA

#6 April 15 2005

samer
Admin

according to alexa yahoo is the most visited website, then comes MSN.com and in position three is Google.

full list: alexa.com/site/ds/top_500

#7 April 18 2005

Charly

well, from the first time that i went online (1996) uptil now, yahoo has been my homepage... i got used to it more than google, although google is kinda faster, and wider, but i got used to yahoo more :)

#8 April 19 2005

samer
Admin

yahoo search results used to be powered by Google, now they are powered by Inktomi.

Board footer