LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 16 2004

samer
Admin

Pentium 4 Reaches the Speed Limit

As expected, Intel has introduced a 3.8GHz Pentium 4 processor in what could represent the end of an era for the chip maker. The Pentium 4 570 processor at 3.8GHz will have the fastest clock speed of any processor available from Intel for an indefinite period. Intel has decided to cancel a planned 4GHz Pentium 4 processor and improve the performance of its desktop chips by adding cache memory.

Intel originally designed the Pentium 4 processor to run at faster and faster clock speeds and for years planned its marketing campaigns around those increases in clock speed. However, this year the company realized that the engineering resources required to eke out additional speed gains could be put to better use. The most recent Pentium 4 processors consume a great deal of power and can produce excessive heat within a PC, requiring additional testing and validation before they can be released.

3.8 is fast enough for me  :o

#2 November 16 2004

Charly

Re: Pentium 4 Reaches the Speed Limit

well 2 bad they're gonna limit it, but at least they limited it at something fast

#3 November 16 2004

ike

that would cost a hell of money, but I think with a 3.8GHz we'll race against the Ferrari F1 car.. lol

#4 November 16 2004

ike

any plans for P5?

#5 December 4 2004

karim soubra

i think i heard somewhere a guy overclocked his cpu with water cooling to a 4.2ghz from 3.4ghz i wish i had water cooling

#6 December 4 2004

samer
Admin

wow .. yes, watercooling systems are quite expensive.

#7 December 4 2004

Charly

water cooling? wuts that? thats the first time i hear of such thing

#8 December 5 2004

JorJ

They broke the 6 GHz barrier using nitrogen cooling!

#9 December 5 2004

karim soubra

well water cooling is basicaly same ascooling a car motor you need a radiator with fan attached abviously a water pump tubbing and water block that will be attached to the processor the graphic card in some cases rarelly the rams and hard disc not to forget the water tank it is pretty expensive and demands  a big case but it is completly silent a good water cooling will drop the cpu 11 degrees also check zalman reserator it is a kind water pump and radiator at the same time

#10 December 5 2004

Charly

interesting, but surely it's expensive

#11 December 5 2004

samer
Admin

They broke the 6 GHz barrier using nitrogen cooling!

any article jorj ? :)

#12 January 6 2005

mpytho

Well, we're only talkin of PCs right, coz supercomputers can reach speed in multiple THz, not GHz

#13 January 6 2005

Ragnar78

Actually its about CPU for PCs and anyway super computers combine a multitude of CPUs, which even though special, each one of them does not reach the Thz

But the new chemical industry was able to put in place a new "thing" that allows to put more transistors in one cpu, so the PIV stop at 3.8 but the next CPUs will be twice faster...nothing can stop progress hehhe

#14 January 7 2005

karim soubra

the new look for cpu is no more the core speed(as advertised by intel) but the fsb the higher the fsb the faster he cpu plus it is cost effective (motherboard manufactries have to deal with it) and the cpu multiplier also plays a big role for example intel cpus are multiplier locked so at the moment so little to do in the other hand amds aren't so there is a great deal of improvment to look for

#15 January 12 2005

mpytho

any P5 in the near future????

#16 April 20 2005

rolf

I read an article some time ago (more than 3 months anyway) saying that pentium had taken a bad decision by deciding to concentrate on increasing frequency instead of pushing efficiency AMD style, and that pentium will not be able to stand up to amd for some time (a couple of years maybe) until they come up with a radically new technology.
I have become an amd buyers since I have seen how much heat the pentium E give out.

Board footer