LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 22 2010

samer
Admin

Fraud in Digital Cameras

Are you getting confused with the higher megapixel cameras and how effective they really are?
Check out this interesting article that explains it all:

Adding more pixels will not capture more detail. Neither will improved chip technology—we’ve hit a fundamental limit of optics.

People forget that “full” HDTV is only 2 megapixels (1920 x 1080). Or that a 6 Mp camera can make a fine 8″ x 10″ print. A camera with 2 micron pixels is just about the limit, in allowing you to stop down the lens at all. That means staying under 7 Mp, given typical point & shoot chip dimensions.

Full article: http://petavoxel.wordpress.com/2010/01/ … ion-fraud/

#2 January 22 2010

J4D

Re: Fraud in Digital Cameras

yeah , they can get more details if the size of the pixel on output devices <monitors , projectors ETC....> was reduced , which will eventually happen ;)

#3 January 22 2010

rolf

Some professional cameras have the same pixel count but with bigger sensors. I think (am pretty sure actually) their images are better when seen up close. Image quality also depends on quality of lens, and quality of the sensor and its attached circuitry.
That is why I personally dont give much attention to megapixel count. Just a little attention. I only conisder big differences in MP count to be significant, especially when the pixel count is low, or when dealing with professional material. The significance of the difference is inversely proportional to the MP count (didnt that sound smart...), that is the higher the pixel count, the higher the probably that these are bad quality pixels, unless you're paying thousands of dollars...

#4 January 22 2010

Xsever

Informative article. Thanks for sharing.

Something funny I learned yesterday: A pixel in Arabic is 3ounsoura!

#5 January 22 2010

kareem_nasser

or picture element and texture element = Texel

#6 January 22 2010

battikh

it's not fraud, it's customers' ignorance.
a 10 megapixel cam IS 10 megapixel, and it DOES have 2 more megapixels than an 8 megapixel cam, so where's the fraud?
even the stupid salesmen we have here would tell you that the 10 megapixel canon has a better image quality than the 12 megapixel sony because it has a better sensor.
the problem is not fraud, it's that people don't educate themselves before buying stuff. who still buys electronics without reading reviews first?

#7 January 23 2010

rolf

I am not sure but some people enjoy having more megapixels on their cameras then other people.
It's a "I have more megapixels then you" thing.

#8 January 23 2010

J4D

rolf wrote:

I am not sure but some people enjoy having more megapixels on their cameras then other people.
It's a "I have more megapixels then you" thing.

HAHA ! , yeah i get that a lot and i constantly try to explain that the lens and sensor play an important role in the sense that in a battle between a 5MP phone camera and a 5MP normal camera  the camera WINS !

#9 January 28 2010

EddieEC

Exactly. It's not fraud. I agree with battikh. But Lebanese are stupid, like rolf said, it's a megapixel thing. It all is related to the lens and sensor.

Board footer