LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 8 2023

potato

Old users of lebgeeks where are you currently ?

Share with us which company do you work currently for and hows life and everything going on with you ?
Ill give the start for someone else and share mine later on.

#2 February 14 2023

Guitaret

Re: Old users of lebgeeks where are you currently ?

I like that you are waiting for a person to start before you share your whereabouts, interesting.

I registered to this forum in 2012, do I qualify as an "old" member?

#3 February 14 2023

nuclearcat

I work for opensource consultancy, one of largest and most known, founded by... Lebanese. Company where top corporations call when they face problems they cannot solve and it is related to opensource.
He don't seek fame, but on my opinion he fully deserve it, if you look to his and then his company achievements.

#4 February 16 2023

Guitaret

I left Lebanon a few months ago seeking a better life in Europe, and as a consultant, I worked with more than one huge company which boosted my experience and career identity.
Now I am confident in comparing what is life/career like in Europe vs Lebanon, and as surprising as it is, I have to say that Lebanon holds few benefits.

#5 February 19 2023

Salloum

Left Lebanon in August 2019 - yes, I saw it coming, no, I didn't know it would happen that shortly after I left and that it would be as bad as it was/is. Lived in Kuwait until August 2021 and have been in Dubai ever since.

#6 February 22 2023

Joe

I moved from Lebanon in 2007, started working for Red Hat in 2013, moved to Italy in 2019, had 2 kids since.

Life is ... ups and down... After all this time, it's still hard being away from my family, but I have a good thing going on here.

Oh and I love my job.

#7 February 23 2023

Johnaudi

Left Lebanon in 2021, worked for BMW as an intern for 9 months in Munich then joined Amazon as an SDE2 in Berlin.

The job is nice, the living is okay. Life isn't as "exciting" as it was in Lebanon (in terms of lifestyle I would say, very monotone) but at least it's stable and safe so I cannot complain. Regularly visit Lebanon every few months, a bit hard to meet the people you used to see on a daily basis only twice a year or so. But I guess that's life!

But maybe that's bound to change once we have that piece of paper that makes me German. Maybe open up my own thing, be more "free" per se, who knows!

#8 February 24 2023

Guitaret

Johnaudi wrote:

But maybe that's bound to change once we have that piece of paper that makes me German. Maybe open up my own thing, be more "free" per se, who knows!

Yes, I do feel the same, getting a PR or a Nationality will definitely give us the freedom to acquire happier choices.
Germany was on my radar, but I did not like their 8 years minimum legal stay. Someone told me they will decrease it to 5 years, did they do that already?

#9 February 25 2023

DNA

How do you all just move to europe and find jobs just like that? do you know poeple there or there is something i dont know? i went once couple years back for couple of days for some business and visa was hard to get. i would really like to get a one way ticket and never come back

anyway i am currently in the shithole everyone loves for some reason, have my own business and work for several companies in IT / networking

Last edited by DNA (February 25 2023)

#10 February 25 2023

Guitaret

Hello @DNA, I work in software and it was easy (or easier) for me to find work abroad that sponsored my visa/work permit, I don't know anyone where I am right now to help me setup my life. I moved here like a hermit and learned everything on my own.

Do you have software development experience or other IT related (cybersecurity, data science, information security...)?

#11 February 26 2023

Johnaudi

Guitaret wrote:

Yes, I do feel the same, getting a PR or a Nationality will definitely give us the freedom to acquire happier choices.
Germany was on my radar, but I did not like their 8 years minimum legal stay. Someone told me they will decrease it to 5 years, did they do that already?

The new law will allow blue card holders to get it even earlier. And I believe it's 3 years if you have a C1 in German (someone told me that, though I couldn't find sources)
A PR would only take about 1.75 years with the blue card though.

#12 February 27 2023

Guitaret

--deleted--

Last edited by Guitaret (March 4 2023)

#13 February 28 2023

TheIlluminative

Moved from Lebanon at the beginning in 2021 and now living in Dubai and working as a TV commentator.

It's OK, life is easy here. I like it, but time goes so fast, you can't even imagine. I miss Lebanon and my family, but that's life!

#14 March 21 2023

beezer

Came back to Canada. Gave the middle east a try for 20 years...I work for a bank doing IT stuff.

#15 March 26 2023

Joe

DNA wrote:

How do you all just move to europe and find jobs just like that?

Left on a student visa. Finished my studies in France. It's considerably easier to get a visa as a student.

#16 April 19 2023

Padre

Glad to see Joe and nuc are still alive :)
Im here and there, in and out of many countries. Consulting, freelancing and even have 2 small side businesses, however i am settling for the next couple of years at a GCC country due to their high pay and no tax.

#17 April 24 2023

NuclearVision

Chose a long carreer still in lebanon, hard to leave in my domain. i studied 7 years and still have 5.

#18 April 24 2023

gamingindex

Working as a software engineer at a Lebanese company called CME. Although I had multiple opportunities to leave and work in europe, I'm one of the few who chose to stay. I'm satisfied with my my job, have my own apartment, travel every now and then.

#19 April 24 2023

potato

I dont see Samer post ;)
Ive gained enough systems/IT/network knowledge / salesforce / kubernities (in progress) combined with my telecom major. Im currently working in two different fields and very happy to jump between them.

Last edited by potato (April 24 2023)

#20 April 25 2023

samer
Admin

potato wrote:

I dont see Samer post ;)

Thanks for the nudge potato! I'll be posting an update when the time is right.

#21 May 1 2023

TheIlluminative

NuclearVision wrote:

Chose a long carreer still in lebanon, hard to leave in my domain. i studied 7 years and still have 5.

Wow, what are you studying? That's insane ;)

#22 May 9 2023

az09za90za

NuclearVision wrote:

May i ask what specialty have you chosen? ;)

#23 May 14 2023

Tech Guru

Left the government in June 2022 due to the devaluation of lira and economic crises. Then  joined a multi-national cloud , colocation , and managed IT services company based in CA, USA. They lunched a small office here back in June 2022 and they are locally expanding. In parallel ,I am a local trader of IT related stuff ,gaming desktops builds, laptops etc...

#24 May 24 2023

NuclearVision

az09za90za wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

plumbing

#25 May 26 2023

az09za90za

NuclearVision wrote:
az09za90za wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

plumbing

Still got 2 years in my plumbing career...

Board footer