LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 9 2021

leblinux

SpaceX Starlink in Lebanon

Dears,

Do you think it will be possible when Starlink rolls out of beta and be available to consumers that we can purchase the kit and install it in Lebanon without problems with Ogero/Government?
I saw videos on youtube how easy to install and get internet access with a 100Mbps speed its amazing! Especially in areas where we still suffer from internet connectivity.

They are in beta now in US, Canada and UK and the kit costs 500$ for the satellite,router kit and 100$ monthly.

Youtube video worth watching:

https://youtu.be/Ob1es7rFtZY

#2 February 9 2021

nuclearcat

Re: SpaceX Starlink in Lebanon

Highly unlikely on foreseeable future. They will work first to cover rural areas of rich countries.
Their specifics - they need uplink way closer to end-user than traditional geo satellite, and Lebanon is not that zone that will have lot of sales with good payments.

#3 February 9 2021

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

#4 February 9 2021

beezer

No you wouldn't reach their satellites from here until they start covering part of Europe at least. Even so, it doesn't work in the traditional way a satellite does where you would be able to get it off a European beaming satellite by getting a bigger dish. We would need them to directly beam it on the middle east and the middle east with all its bureaucracy is not worth the headache.

Think of it this way, Tesla with their power walls and solar panels would be a prime candidate for every country in the middle east (who gets more sun than this region?). But for them to come to Saudi, UAE, Kuwait (talking big countries with a lot of money, not Lebanon with a million citizens most of which are in apartments) the requirements are ridiculous so no real reputable self respecting company would invest and share their technology there. They fell for that trick in China and never again.

Arab leaders are too disconnected and arrogant. It ain't happening, and also, an uncensored, unmonitored internet in the middle east?! That's blasphemy!

#5 February 9 2021

NuclearVision

just hope you won't be accused of treason.

#6 February 9 2021

DNA

very few will able to afford in anyways, the government doesn't allow competition to Ogero from local companies you would be crazy to think that they would allow something like starlink they would ban it for sure.

#7 February 9 2021

nuclearcat

It is banned and illegal already, fines are quite severe.

#8 February 9 2021

RandomMemory

All data must pass through ogero here, making sat internet illegal to use. You can get fined 10M+ LBP as an individual if you try to use sat internet and you will most likely be accused of treason.

#9 February 9 2021

xazbrat

I am not sure they can stop this (at least this regime)---all you need is a starter kit ($500)--not sure if it is Canadian or USD though and you are off---and also, $100 for unlimited use.  I was watching this and found this pretty funny----start around 10 minute mark https://youtu.be/Fh1a2K9ZgNA  when he is talking about latency.

#10 February 9 2021

leblinux

Thanks for your feedbacks.

#11 February 9 2021

RandomMemory

xazbrat wrote:

I am not sure they can stop this (at least this regime)---all you need is a starter kit ($500)--not sure if it is Canadian or USD though and you are off---and also, $100 for unlimited use.  I was watching this and found this pretty funny----start around 10 minute mark https://youtu.be/Fh1a2K9ZgNA  when he is talking about latency.

that's nice and all but how are you gonna get it into the country?

#12 February 10 2021

xazbrat

RandomMemory wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

You may have to go outside the country to bring it in, but it is pretty low profile, so it could be brought in parts and wouldn't raise any flags.  Doesn't matter anyway, it will be a while before it is even potentially available in this part of the world.  The only coverage seems to be in the US and Canada atm and as has been pointed out in many places, every single large scale satellite internet venture has failed, so may be for naught anyway.

#13 February 10 2021

DNA

nuclearcat wrote:

It is banned and illegal already, fines are quite severe.

Yea right, it already falls under the category of sat internet

#14 February 10 2021

RandomMemory

xazbrat wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

You may have to go outside the country to bring it in, but it is pretty low profile, so it could be brought in parts and wouldn't raise any flags.  Doesn't matter anyway, it will be a while before it is even potentially available in this part of the world.  The only coverage seems to be in the US and Canada atm and as has been pointed out in many places, every single large scale satellite internet venture has failed, so may be for naught anyway.

How is it low profile though it's a one piece dish

#15 February 10 2021

xazbrat

RandomMemory wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
RandomMemory wrote:

How is it low profile though it's a one piece dish

The dish itself is 19 inches (48cm) which can you can bring in as luggage (maybe change the packaging) and the whole package itself (everything) is 7-8kg.  Again, we are looking waaaaay down the future before it is potentially available.  According to Linus, he was getting 125 mb speed and I would think that some 'ishtirak' guys would bring this in and easily charge $50 (or more) for a 10 meg speeds for a dozen subscribers easily making up the $100 monthly fee that Starlink is charging now.  I wouldn't worry about it this happening anytime soon.

#16 February 10 2021

RandomMemory

I am 100% sure that if you go to certain areas of lebanon, companies are spoofing their traffic by getting most of it out of external sources still. Sadly all these ishtirak people only care about providing the bare minimum service and don't maintain their infra.

#17 February 11 2021

nuclearcat

RandomMemory wrote:

I am 100% sure that if you go to certain areas of lebanon, companies are spoofing their traffic by getting most of it out of external sources still. Sadly all these ishtirak people only care about providing the bare minimum service and don't maintain their infra.

As far as i know they don't. Last scandal was painful enough + they dont have $ anymore.

#18 March 1 2021

nosense

website now says that lebanon is target for 2022 and we can pay a deposit with first come first serve when it launches
what do you guys think ?

kCi5nmE.png

#19 March 1 2021

bobo619

nosense wrote:

website now says that lebanon is target for 2022 and we can pay a deposit with first come first serve when it launches
what do you guys think ?

https://i.imgur.com/kCi5nmE.png

It will 100% depend on legislation and will most probably be banned here.

#20 March 1 2021

beezer

Go for it. But know that you will definitely have to bring in with your luggage without getting caught. Others have done it for normal internet through satellite.

And make sure you install it and not tell anyone. Otherwise you'll be a "spy" lol.

#21 March 1 2021

RandomMemory

do you have 100$ to spare every month? That's the price of the subscription. And this amount is fully refundable, if you plan to stay here and can afford it go for it, if it doesn't work out they will refund you but you also have to spend 299$ more when it's out to get the actual product.

#22 March 1 2021

DNA

=beezer
And make sure you install it and not tell anyone. Otherwise you'll be a "spy" lol.

As if they can decrypt VPN connections a spy doesn't need a dish on his roof. it is all about the monopoly and keeping their pockets full, I am not sure what role does private ISPs play in lebanon other than reseller for ogero to steal more money for shittier service cause it is impossible that they provide better service than ogero given they need to share bandwidth but maybe they are smuggling bandwidth as I see ASs not linked with ogero and directly to foriegn ISPs but could be for something else.

If they allow them to get there own installations and get their own bandwidth from abroad so we can have some competition and let the price be set by the free market until then we will keep having shit service on bad infrastructure by trash ISPs who all belong to one or 2 companies different names same shit.
It is sad that starlink is banned before it rolls out as it falls under the sat internet category, am not sure if they can force starlink to not provide the service in one way or another. ikreidieh follows elon musk on twitter hope he learns something from him.

#23 March 2 2021

NuclearVision

private isp in lebanon= buy N bandwidth from ogero ->sell N/100 for 1000 clients, and throttle the heck out of them under what they call fup, until bandwidth <N

#24 March 2 2021

nuclearcat

beezer wrote:

Go for it. But know that you will definitely have to bring in with your luggage without getting caught. Others have done it for normal internet through satellite.

Some "others" got severe fines, and some spent time in jail. Be careful what you are advising for other people to do.
You advise people to commit a crime.
If the Internet is a question of survival for person, i advise to weigh all the risks. There are many ways to detect illegal satellite modem. From RF emissions, to ip leaks.
And even if you decide to say "yes", for example, you are a remote worker, and this internet is only your hope to have a piece of bread tomorrow, still discuss with some experts (preferably foreign ones) to reduce your chances of going to jail, not only technical advice, but legal one too.
And if you're chasing just extra megabits or gigabytes, i don't recommend it. Freedom is not worth it.

#25 March 2 2021

Hybrid

I know someone in Canada with a starlink, it seems pretty stable and fast.

Board footer