LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 August 16 2017

dio

Re: How to use SNR tweaking for a faster or more stable connection

So i just realised my router can't adjust SNR margins. It's an TP-Link VR400. :(

#27 August 16 2017

Adnan

@dio it really seems that a whole lot of modems don't support this feature, I don't know why. You always have the option of contacting your ISP. Good luck.

Last edited by Adnan (August 16 2017)

#28 August 17 2017

TheLebGeek

Does anyone know if the Cisco-Linksys XAC1900 Dual Band AC1900 will be able to edit these values? I don't have the modem but I'm thinking to buy it

#29 August 17 2017

dio

Adnan wrote:

@dio it really seems that a whole lot of modems don't support this feature, I don't know why. You always have the option of contacting your ISP. Good luck.

Already did. Asked them if they could adjust the SNR margin on my line, they said it's not possible to do it for individuals, if they adjust it, they will have to do it for the whole area.

Which is starting to explain the fact that why my connection has decreased from 12 to 5 in a month.

Speaking of which, does anyone now if Ogero can individually adjust the SNR margin for a user? If so, who can I talk to to adjust it. Mr Rifai perhaps?

Last edited by dio (August 17 2017)

#30 April 18 2018

new_user

My modem is speedtouch 546 v6 with firmware 6.2.29.2. I need to downgrade to version 6.1 to be able to use SNR tweaking as this feature was disabled in version 6.2. I could not find the firmware anywhere except on this forum http://www.speedtouchforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=1089#8355

They seem to be the right firmware but I am afraid of bricking my modem.  Is there any precautionary step i can do to gaurantee I can get my modem to work in case they are not the right firmware or something goes wrong? For example can I download/backup the firmware on my modem before I start? What are your recommendations?

#31 July 17 2018

new_user

I want to buy a new modem specifically to get the snr tweaking feature. Can you please recommend a good modem that is guaranteed 100% to have this feature?

#32 August 20 2020

Idler

new_user wrote:

I want to buy a new modem specifically to get the snr tweaking feature. Can you please recommend a good modem that is guaranteed 100% to have this feature?

ASUS allows you to tweak you SNR by tweaking the DB in the interface.

#33 August 20 2020

wollyka

Idler wrote:
new_user wrote:

True but it only works on adsl connection in the interface and not VDSL

For VDSL, you have to use the command line:
wan vdsl2 set target_snrm XXXX
wan adsl reset

However, Asus modems don't have a Broadcom chipset so they are more prone to CRC errors and are less stable on noisy lines.

Last edited by wollyka (August 20 2020)

#34 August 20 2020

Idler

I had the same thought until i purchased one, if you tweak it just about right its stable and pretty good i've been on stable 4mbps for about a year since i got it with minimum of CRC errors around 8000/month also you may install open source firmware that gives you a major boost to tweak it through SSH

wollyka wrote:
Idler wrote:
new_user wrote:

wan adsl reset

However, Asus modems don't have a Broadcom chipset so they are more prone to CRC errors and are less stable on noisy lines.

#35 October 13 2020

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

wollyka wrote:
Idler wrote:
new_user wrote:

wan adsl reset

i am doing that using putty to my asus modem but nothing is changing on the asus dashboard

also it lets me change the vdsl snr not the adsl and my connection is adsl

Last edited by TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge (October 13 2020)

#36 October 13 2020

wollyka

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge wrote:
wollyka wrote:
Idler wrote:

wan adsl reset

i am doing that using putty to my asus modem but nothing is changing on the asus dashboard

also it lets me change the vdsl snr not the adsl and my connection is adsl

Did you try using wan adsl set target_snrm XXXX or wan adsl2 set target_snrm XXXXinstead of vdsl2?
Also what target_snrm are you using?

When I had adsl, I was using the Asus interface and it was working just fine. When I switched to VDSL, i had to use putty and the commands

Last edited by wollyka (October 13 2020)

Board footer