LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 March 3 2020

xazbrat

Re: Paying with Lebanese cards online

LifeEngineer wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

I believe the limit is now 15$ per month.

I bought last month what is estimated for around 80$ from AliExpress, steam and other outlets online. EMBARK Audi card here.

I don't think anyone knows what the limit is---I bought $60 something on iherb and some other expenditures and was near $100 on my blom mini card.  Of course, when I tried to pay my ogero bill, it failed as did my 'fresh' money card.  I think it has something to do with paying a LL bill with USD though.

#52 March 15 2020

Hamlock

So two years ago I opened a Maker's account with Byblos Bank in USD, I used to be able to put LBP into the Smart ATM and it would work fine until a few months ago. Really sucks cause I want to buy something for about $60 and as we all know it's impossible to get this nowadays, so I think my solution is to open a sub-account (or something?) in LBP so I can use it to buy stuff, the employee actually offered to open one for me two years ago but I turned it down for no reason.

I called the bank a few days ago to ask them about this but they told that I need to talk to the manager next week, cause they're not letting anyone open new bank accounts.

My question is, if I use an LBP account to buy online, can I buy things like a Netflix subscription or anything from Amazon? Or can I only use a USD account? If so, would it use the official exchange rate or the black market one? Also if there are any better options then I'm all ears.

#53 March 15 2020

Dan28

Hamlock wrote:

if I use an LBP account to buy online, can I buy things like a Netflix subscription or anything from Amazon? Or can I only use a USD account? If so, would it use the official exchange rate or the black market one? Also if there are any better options then I'm all ears.

No bank is allowing usd payments with lbp account anymore,  incase you have usd account, your payments are limited between 15-100$ per week or month depending on the bank and your account balance.

The only way as of now, is to exchange lbp to usd at the blackmaket rate then go to the bank and deposit them as fresh money, or have someone send you fresh usd from abroad.

#54 March 15 2020

Hamlock

Dan28 wrote:

No bank is allowing usd payments with lbp account anymore,  incase you have usd account, your payments are limited between 15-100$ per week or month depending on the bank and your account balance.

The only way as of now, is to exchange lbp to usd at the blackmaket rate then go to the bank and deposit them as fresh money, or have someone send you fresh usd from abroad.

Well that sucks, I guess no Netflix or games for me for a while. People with no USD pretty much can't buy most things online anymore.

Hopefully this whole thing blows over soon.

#55 March 15 2020

NuclearVision

The capital control paper is being drafted, lets hope for the best.

#56 March 15 2020

wollyka

The draft law won't change the international limits on cards. It is left for the banks discretion, so don't expect any changes this year at all.

#57 March 15 2020

NuclearVision

wollyka wrote:

The draft law won't change the international limits on cards. It is left for the banks discretion, so don't expect any changes this year at all.

I mean 15$? Come on.... I don't see this limit lasting.

#58 March 15 2020

wollyka

NuclearVision wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Please see this, it clearly says upon each bank's discretion, BDL can interfere but i doubt it will do that at first
Law

Last edited by wollyka (March 15 2020)

#59 March 15 2020

NuclearVision

wollyka wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Please see this, it clearly says upon each bank's discretion, BDL can interfere but i doubt it will do that at first
Law

I saw it earlier, You're right, but they're coming up with new cards you can use with fresh money, these have the old limits I believe.

#60 March 15 2020

wollyka

I have an Embark card with i use it with fresh money, i deposited 200$ (cash in the ATM)  but last time i couldn't use more than 100$ per month
Let's hope for the best

#61 March 15 2020

NuclearVision

wollyka wrote:

I have an Embark card with i use it with fresh money, i deposited 200$ (cash in the ATM)  but last time i couldn't use more than 100$ per month
Let's hope for the best

Thats sorcery, sorry my friend.

#62 March 17 2020

Madslm

Dan28 wrote:
Hamlock wrote:

if I use an LBP account to buy online, can I buy things like a Netflix subscription or anything from Amazon? Or can I only use a USD account? If so, would it use the official exchange rate or the black market one? Also if there are any better options then I'm all ears.

my BBAC card is still working, don`t know the limit though.

#63 March 17 2020

Kareem

Does anybody know how I can have a credit card in LBP ?

Some websites accept LBP currency ( I was surprised somehow ) but yes they do charge in LBP. I tried my USD credit card and they withdrew in LBP.

#64 March 17 2020

AVOlio

I know Amazon takes LBP.
What other websites can you give examples of?

#65 March 18 2020

Kareem

AVOlio wrote:

I know Amazon takes LBP.

Some luxury brands websites ( clothing mainly )

I need to buy something that was listed for 25 millions LBP. MSRP is $18500 USD so I was wondering if paying by LBP card is possible over the internet.

#66 March 18 2020

nefe_lpmk

Kareem wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

I know Amazon takes LBP.

Some luxury brands websites ( clothing mainly )

I need to buy something that was listed for 25 millions LBP. MSRP is $18500 USD so I was wondering if paying by LBP card is possible over the internet.

Don't think they allow 18M transactions, even in normal days. Once I paid 3000$, I got pending validation and got a call from my bank and they had to do it manually.

#67 March 18 2020

gamingindex

I have LBP credit cards, and when I try to buy from these websites they are still considered as part of the international limit by my bank, hence declined if more than 50$ a month.

#68 March 18 2020

samer
Admin

Admin edit: I merged a few topics, updated the title and made this a sticky as many questions are coming in this direction.

#69 March 19 2020

Hamlock

This whole situation is pretty damn shitty. All I wanted to do was buy Animal Crossing on Switch but the banks won't take my money, man I hate this country so much.

#70 March 19 2020

HellBz

Hamlock wrote:

This whole situation is pretty damn shitty. All I wanted to do was buy Animal Crossing on Switch but the banks won't take my money, man I hate this country so much.

I play switch on my PC Easy!!

Last edited by HellBz (March 19 2020)

#71 March 26 2020

Hamlock

I have an LBP account with SGBL, it's an iLive Debit Titanium Card, but it's declining all my online transactions on Amazon.
Weird life we live in.

#72 March 26 2020

NuclearVision

what do you guys buy on amazon anyway, i never found a product i wanted that actually shipped to Lebanon, I bought a few books but thats it.

#73 March 26 2020

Hamlock

NuclearVision wrote:

what do you guys buy on amazon anyway, i never found a product i wanted that actually shipped to Lebanon, I bought a few books but thats it.

Just digital stuff, I won't bother with anything physical cause it's too expensive.

#74 March 26 2020

Dan28

NuclearVision wrote:

i order everything from amazon even the toothpaste.

#75 March 26 2020

NuclearVision

Dan28 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

i order everything from amazon even the toothpaste.

Do you use a forwarder or do you live abroad?

Board footer