LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 5 2008

Halo

Dial-Up Modem Problems

Okay, now while I'm still waiting for VISP to install wireless at my house, I decided to follow teodor's advice given to me about a year ago and dug up a US Robotics external modem.

I got it plugged in and everything, and considering my old internal modem was a winmodem, I noticed a big change in latency and with the computer speed (since external modems don't use up the computer's CPU) with VISP's dial-up.

I got, instead of 350 ms to google.com, 200 ms, which is IMPRESSIVE. I'm very surprised and very excited to start going and playing online, but I have one problem.

For some reason, although VISP has V.90 56K dial-up, I'm dialing 33.6K with it - ALL THE TIME! So, it's defiantly not Visp's fault, it's the modem's fault. Anyone know how to fix this problem? I tried messing around with the settings on the modem, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.

#2 February 6 2008

WizaRd

Re: Dial-Up Modem Problems

it could be the central's capacity in your area for dial-up is limited

#3 February 6 2008

Halo

I used to dial 56K with my old internal modem though...

#4 February 6 2008

Halo

Oh nevermind, I figured out the problem, my external modem isn't V.90, it's x2. Anyways, the latency right now is like 500 ms to google. Is that because it's peak time now?

Board footer