LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 November 4 2019

Guitaret

Re: Lebanese lira to USD exchange

infiniteloop wrote:

Please boycott the exchange places, these criminals want to be billionaires in a couple of weeks while putting huge commissions on the rates, if we all boycott them including buying internet and cell phones line recharges we can make them return to normal.
I am upset that there are still no law to fix a max commission rate for them since the Lebanese war

@infiniteloop I am not going to describe you as naive but rather I will share with you my story regarding the shops that sell recharge cards.
My brother has a small cell shop and dealing with recharge cards is his daily business and here is what you need to know:
Service Centers (for Touch & Alfa) will sell you (dealer or regular customer) the recharge card with the exchange of 1507.5LL. Sound great? But guess what? They will only sell you a max of 3 cards because they want you to deal with their resellers. Their resellers (official or black market ones) will sell you at the exchange of 1600LL (3 weeks ago), 1650LL (2 weeks ago), 1800LL(last week) and now they will only accept USD.
In the case of my brother he has only a few USD in his cash drawer that will have to use to buy recharge cards to end up selling them to customers in LL for 3.5% profit if (and only if) the exchange is 1500LL. In this case, it will be very stupid of him not to sell his USD notes for a currency exchange shop for 1700LL (don't you think) and now he has 2 choices:
Sell the 1-month recharge cards for 49,000LL and risk being shout at and reported to the ministry.
Not sell recharge cards.

Now he is not selling recharge cards because he has no access to USD and adding to this problem the bad economy and low purchasing power of customers, he will shutdown his business soon.

Stop being angry at the "small" people.

#52 November 4 2019

DNA

It should be illegal to sell local services and non imported stuff for USD in lebanon, alfa and touch should charge in LBP it all boils down to the corrupt political system, enough said.

#53 November 4 2019

DNA

Ok so apparently recharge cards will be priced in LBP from tommorow, one step in the right direction

#54 November 5 2019

rolf

Guitaret wrote:

Stop being angry at the "small" people.

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

#55 November 5 2019

xterm

Kareem wrote:

Just to understand the situation better, they're taking 2% when you withdraw from ATM ? or counter ?

Counter, i had a quarrel with the branch manager to no avail. I ended up converting to LBP instead of losing a fairly large USD sum, which is not an issue considering I needed the bulk for LBP payments.

#56 November 5 2019

Hybrid

$1500 max withdraw per day, and they take $6 fees

#57 November 6 2019

Kareem

Just received a call from the branch manager at Audi Bank.... I can no longer collect cheques in cash if the value is above $3000 USD

#58 November 6 2019

AVOlio

Fransabank appearantly stopped exchanging money from lbp to usd in the online banking.
How am I supposed to cover my payments then?

#59 November 6 2019

rolf

Now is time for another demonstration...

Last edited by rolf (November 6 2019)

#60 November 6 2019

Hybrid

AVOlio wrote:

Fransabank appearantly stopped exchanging money from lbp to usd in the online banking.

Most banks stopped that months ago

#61 November 6 2019

rolf

I think they are in trouble and trying to maintain the USD / LBP exchange rate.

I'm afraid the fixed rate is going to drive us into the ground.  From Wikipedia:

Additionally, the stubbornness of a government in defending a fixed exchange rate when in a trade deficit will force it to use deflationary measures (increased taxation and reduced availability of money), which can lead to unemployment.

It looks like we are in the midst of a currency crisis.

Moreover:

The announced exchange rate may not coincide with the market equilibrium exchange rate, thus leading to excess demand or excess supply

Everyone knows that the market value for USD is 1600+ LBP. Therefore if you can get yours from the bank at 1505 then everyone will get all the USD they can and resell them on the black market for benefit. This is another reason why they are setting all kinds of limits on USD.

What a mess.

#62 November 6 2019

rolf

AVOlio wrote:

Sorry, do you mean that you are not able to pay online bills in USD using your Lebanese card?

#63 November 6 2019

user

Appearances can be deceiving, the exchanges are taking a risk selling usd for 1600 and 1700 lbp, I wouldn't do it. 1700 lbp for usd seems cheap to me given that we have a country that is the most indebted in the world, does not produce anything, NEEDS imports constantly for food energy and medicine. That is a financial death sentence right there. Our credit rating was downgraded again yesterday.

All of you, get all the USD bills you can, stash it at home. Whether or not you have money in the bank could become meaningless if things keep getting worse(and it seems they will) People who have farm lands maybe buy some plastic tents for farming and a system to collect rain water, it might become useful. Things are going to shit very fast, very very fast.

also this https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor … o&d=n&vh=i

Last edited by user (November 6 2019)

#64 November 6 2019

potato

@user dont forget to buy a cow just in case...

there is no war to exaggerate the situation, its bad not same level venezuela bad.

Last edited by potato (November 6 2019)

#65 November 6 2019

user

How do we know it is not Venezuela level of bad? I see a lot of similarities. No local production of goods and foreign money stopped coming in.
No dollar = no bread and no medicine.

Cows need medicine and feed, requires maintenance, no good.

#66 November 6 2019

AVOlio

rolf wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Sorry, do you mean that you are not able to pay online bills in USD using your Lebanese card?

I have an LBP salary account.
I have a USD credit card.

I cannot transfer money from lbp salary account to usd credit card account.
I have payments on it.

#67 November 6 2019

Kareem

I was at the bank today and the number of people trying to withdraw huge amount of cash is unbelievable.. I'm not talking about few thousands... I'm talking about people how have millions of dollars asking for " cheques bancaire...

Obviously the banking system in lebanon lost credibility and trust and I'm pretty sure that although people have money in their account, most of it doesn't really exist. Banks have been known for giving crazy interest rates, this alone had a very detrimental effect on the economy.

Just forgot to mention, BLOM starting from today, will not accept LBP for credit card payments.

Last edited by Kareem (November 6 2019)

#68 November 6 2019

VincentKeyboard

user wrote:

Appearances can be deceiving, the exchanges are taking a risk selling usd for 1600 and 1700 lbp, I wouldn't do it. 1700 lbp for usd seems cheap to me

Explain cheap. Do you want the rate to be above 1700 or back down to 1500?

#69 November 6 2019

Kareem

VincentKeyboard wrote:
user wrote:

Appearances can be deceiving, the exchanges are taking a risk selling usd for 1600 and 1700 lbp, I wouldn't do it. 1700 lbp for usd seems cheap to me

Rate is unrealistically low. it should be around 2500 LBP. Look around you.... Syria, Turkey, Iraq, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria... their currency couldn't hold against USD in the last 5 years.

We can't export anything anymore as it becomes more and more expensive to transport and sell goods abroad. We can't rely on immigrants money and tourism to survive each and every crisis.

#70 November 6 2019

rolf

VincentKeyboard wrote:

He us saying that $1 for 1700LBP is cheap. It should cost more to buy USD. More than 1700.
We are not discussing wants but expectations.
I think he is clear.

#71 November 6 2019

user

exactly, it's not what I want. I want one lira = 1 usd, but I'm discussing what I see. The country has no economy, it does not produce anything. And what little it does produce we don't sell in liras anyway. Because of our genius dual currency system, tourists when they come here just use dollars, they are not forced to buy the local currency like they would be in other countries. So there is 0 natural demand for lira, government employees are pretty much the only group forced to take liras as their salary. And depositors were fooled to putting money in Lira for higher interest.

The only reason 1500 liras was one usd was because Riyad Salameh was pouring billions of dollars to support it at that rate. He is out of money to artificially support it now and it has no base or natural use. And so I think it will go to shit.

The banking system that used to attract money from abroad has lost confidence and lost its reputation. We used to get 4 billions a year in foreign deposits, it would be a miracle if our net flow is even positive this year at all...

#72 November 6 2019

infiniteloop

Stop spreading panic, you are pushing people to withdraw too much money and exchange b***es to steal people, you are pushing people into a vicious circle.
A new government and hopefully technocrats one will be able to bring help in $ from friendly countries, I am perhaps one of the rare optimistic dude here but instead of shouting ''fire'' let's poor water on it

#73 November 6 2019

Kareem

infiniteloop wrote:

Stop spreading panic, you are pushing people to withdraw too much money and exchange b***es to steal people, you are pushing people into a vicious circle.
A new government and hopefully technocrats one will be able to bring help in $ from friendly countries, I am perhaps one of the rare optimistic dude here but instead of shouting ''fire'' let's poor water on it

We are spreading panic ? WE ? 

It's just that we're sharing our experience nothing less nothing more. It's the banks who are issuing capital control statements and we're SPREADING THE NEWS.

If they didn't tell you, my parents woke up one day when the dollar hit 3000 LBP. They had everything in LBP and lost most of their money. That was 3 decades ago. We've been there and no, we're not gonna go through the same again just because the BDL is in denial of the crisis.

If you still don't find any reason to panic i think Moody's report should ring a bell....

#74 November 6 2019

user

infiniteloop wrote:

I'm in Canada and my money is in TD bank. I am not in cahoots with the Lebanese exchange people. Don't rely on the corrupt politicians that broke it to fix it. They are ALL corrupt, and those who cried chastity turned out to be the dirtiest. It's better if everyone takes a cut of their money and survives rather than smart people savign all their money and the less savvy losing it all. If we had a morally decent government, they would have killed the peg and did a USD account haircut back in 2017 suddenly and overnight before anyone escapes, and they would have spread the pain and the system would have limped on. But what we have now is people who knew saved all their cash, and other people are grasping for hope.

Blom bank in 2015 warned that the debt will become unsustainable in 2020
http://blog.blominvestbank.com/wp-conte … txsbdGKc5U (see page 6, 2020 is one month away, cudos for the writer)

And politicians first pretended it is a rumor. When that failed they pretended it is the world conspiring against them. And all that wasted time while they hid their money and while wiser people got their money out. It is getting worse if you have not noticed. If you need to pay 10% extra for security so be it, insurance costs money. It's better to lose 10% and be wrong than regret it later...

The country loses 7 billion or so a year on trade deficits, dollars wasted on electricity ships, dollars wasted on projects and corruption. And you think because I am telling you to take out what? 10 000 usd at best (because the bank will not let you take more) that that is what crashes the economy?

Greece is expected to end austerity and finally be done with its crisis by 2064 or something, Venezuela is in shit mode. I am worried that our people in Lebanon are not really grasping what it means to have a financial crisis. Many think that it is something they will just shrug off and move on from in a year or 2. Financial sector confidence has been broken, and countries that used to help us abandoned us, nothing will fix itself.

I do admit I am a coward. I withdrew my money since 2015 and lost a lot of potential income from interest for 3 years straight which could have amounted to half of what I have now. But some things I cannot afford to gamble with or leave for luck and uncertainty.

#75 November 7 2019

rolf

Thanks for the link. World bank studies contained warnings as well.
You did well to withdraw your money and refuse to be part of this.

Board footer