LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 11 2019

rolf

Vintage Lenses

I am looking for any mint vintage lenses.

Example:
example

They are manual lenses (even if "auto" is written on them, sometimes) from the 80ies and 70ies or even earlier. Usually made out of metal. If they were handled carefully, then they are still usable with modern cameras (using a lens mount adapter) and they are quite special.

If you have or know any for sale, please let me know.

If I make a benefit off them then you can have a commission as well.

Last edited by rolf (May 11 2019)

#2 October 17 2019

catdotgif

Re: Vintage Lenses

Based on the lenses in the picture, you seem like a Pentax user.   If you don't already have one, try to track down an auto-takumar 35mm 2.3.   Hands down my favorite vintage lens, if I had to glue one lens onto my Sony that would be it.

Is there a good shop in Lebanon for vintage manual lenses/cameras?

#3 October 17 2019

samer
Admin

You might be able to score some good catches in the Souk el Ahad (Sunday flea market). The sellers have wised up though, ever since analogue photography became hip again.

#4 October 17 2019

rolf

catdotgif wrote:

Based on the lenses in the picture, you seem like a Pentax user.   If you don't already have one, try to track down an auto-takumar 35mm 2.3.   Hands down my favorite vintage lens, if I had to glue one lens onto my Sony that would be it.

So far I have not found any shop. I think your best bet is olxliban.com . Most are overpriced, everyone who finds an old camera thinks they have found a treasure, but every once in a while you can find a good deal, which might be quickly snatched by someone else who is knowledgeable.

There is a man in Sinn-El-Fil, whom I met with. He had many vintage lens for sale  (film bodies as well). He let me try them and pick one. I picked a very nice looking one, super takumar 28mm F3.5.

However, I realized at a later time that the focus scale is very slightly misaligned and that there are scratches on an internal element, missed by the flashlight inspection because the scratches are circular and a the very edge of the element.

They have an obvious effect on photos taken wide open (see photo below) and into the light. I guess the lens had fungus and someone opened it up and cleaned it improperly.

Another lens that he was offering had scratches on the back element. I spotted them right away.

Therefore I cannot recommend him!

62455759-420957035159365-8865539801600818599-n.jpg

Yep, the moon has a brow!

These are my other vintage lenses:

Super Takumar 135mm F2.5
Pentax M 50mm F2
Canon FD 28mm F2.8

I have a Sony A7 (the original one) and am a bit worried about constantly swapping lenses. The mount is made of plastic and has been reported to eventually wear out and becomes loose.

Thank you for the advice! I like my Pentax 50mm, it is quite imperfect but in lovely ways! The Super Takumar is of an amazing quality (and heavy).

Regarding vintage lenses I will go with Canon FD in the future, the optical quality is great and they are light which makes them feel very balanced on the Sony body. Then I can just keep a Canon FD adapter on the body and just swap out the lenses.

Next lens will probably be a 35mm.

Good to finally meet someone who share the same interest!

If you ever get the chance, ebay is the best option by far. Many good deals in the UK.

If you are looking for something specific, please let us know, maybe someone can help.

samer wrote:

You might be able to score some good catches in the Souk el Ahad (Sunday flea market). The sellers have wised up though, ever since analogue photography became hip again.

I went there in May and was referred to a man who is a sad example of hoarding. He had a few crates haphazardly stacked full of cameras which were valuable models but all damaged beyond hope. I can only recommend him if you are looking for spare parts.

There might be some antiquity / vintage booth that I missed, or maybe new developments since.

I also took a few nice shots there.

P5260749.jpg

Last edited by rolf (October 19 2019)

#5 October 18 2019

catdotgif

Last time I was at the Garage Souk in Mar Mikhael (Sundays only, all day) there was a collector there selling some cameras.   He was clearly knowledgeable, we had a nice chat.   He had some interesting cameras, some not-so-interesting, but notably all of them seemed well cared for and functioning.   

Where can you buy film here?   Especially medium format?

#6 October 18 2019

rolf

catdotgif wrote:

Where can you buy film here?

Photo Jean (in Jal el Dib) sells 35mm film including B/W. It is not cheap (20 000 more or less per roll), however development is not too expensive.
Not sure about MF, but he may have a tip for you if you ask him.

Board footer