LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#5676 September 5 2019

Nemesis-301

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Nemesis-301 wrote:

anybody know if the ISP switch is still happening? or we have to wait 2 months if we wanna switch?
I'm switching to global vision, and they are claiming they need a maximum of 10 days to give me my internet.
While when I called to cancel from wise they told ogero redisabled this from happening and it would take them 1.5 - 2 months for switching ISPs....
1 of them is lying or uninformed, I took the risk and asked wise to cancel it, since they could easily lie to discourage me from canceling..

I feel I should give an update on this. I received a phone call today from global vision, they are gonna install the new router tomorrow.
turns out all they needed was 3 days, and now we know who was lying/uninformed.
I will post gaming ping and speed results in comparison with that of wise tomorrow night on the "feedback for THGV" thread.

#5677 September 5 2019

nuclearcat

Nemesis-301 wrote:
Nemesis-301 wrote:

anybody know if the ISP switch is still happening? or we have to wait 2 months if we wanna switch?
I'm switching to global vision, and they are claiming they need a maximum of 10 days to give me my internet.
While when I called to cancel from wise they told ogero redisabled this from happening and it would take them 1.5 - 2 months for switching ISPs....
1 of them is lying or uninformed, I took the risk and asked wise to cancel it, since they could easily lie to discourage me from canceling..

I feel I should give an update on this. I received a phone call today from global vision, they are gonna install the new router tomorrow.
I will post gaming ping and speed results in comparison with that of wise tomorrow night on the "feedback for THGV" thread.

We might need to do some tuning and tests for your account, as thgv have several options for gamers ping. I think it worth to try all of them.

#5678 September 9 2019

Cage

Nemesis-301 wrote:
Nemesis-301 wrote:

Oh wow welp they took 40 days to switch isp s for me

#5679 September 12 2019

xazbrat

What does it mean when the downstream attenuation is zero/zed/nil?

Mode:    ADSL_G.dmt    
Traffic Type:    ATM
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):    On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):         210      280
Attenuation (0.1 dB):             0        270
Output Power (0.1 dBm):    164    119
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    4802    1188

This is on an ogero 2mb 'unlimited' connection

#5680 September 19 2019

Delacroix

Nemesis-301 wrote:
Nemesis-301 wrote:

I'd love to hear your feedback

#5681 September 22 2019

ahk40a

xazbrat wrote:

What does it mean when the downstream attenuation is zero/zed/nil?

Mode:    ADSL_G.dmt    
Traffic Type:    ATM
Link Power State:    L0

Downstream    Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):    On    On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):         210      280
Attenuation (0.1 dB):             0        270
Output Power (0.1 dBm):    164    119
Attainable Rate (Kbps):    4802    1188

This is on an ogero 2mb 'unlimited' connection

How far away do you live from the CO? it could be a case where you are connected to an active cabinet in your area as well.
There should be attenuation for sure.

#5682 October 28 2019

Techlover

Hello guys,

I am with ogero subscribed to the open speed 100 GB plan and getting speeds around 13mbps on adsl.

I saw packages of other ISPs . I liked Terranet and Mobi plans for example. I especially need the unlimited night traffic .
Which of the private ISPs would you recommend . Will i find an ISP as stable as ogero or at least close ? And which do you recommend . I previously heard IDM was the best but now their support is very bad .

#5683 October 29 2019

TheIlluminative

Stay with Ogero.

#5684 October 29 2019

xazbrat

Techlover wrote:

Hello guys,

I am with ogero subscribed to the open speed 100 GB plan and getting speeds around 13mbps on adsl.

I saw packages of other ISPs . I liked Terranet and Mobi plans for example. I especially need the unlimited night traffic .
Which of the private ISPs would you recommend . Will i find an ISP as stable as ogero or at least close ? And which do you recommend . I previously heard IDM was the best but now their support is very bad .

I agree--stay with Ogero.  The other ISP's always have an asterisk with FUP or other limitation(s) which makes their offers too good to be true.  If you need more capacity for downloads,  and you don't care about the speeds, subscribe to one of the unlimited plans, but you get slower internet with is frustrating, or you could jump up your plan in 50 gig increments for $10.

#5685 October 29 2019

LifeEngineer

I have 2 questions so I'll devide them into 2 posts coz they are not related.

Sorry to ask in here, but has anyone faced issues with some games on specific networks?! It's annoying the hell out of me.

I'm on PC:

-I can play Squad on wifi home ogero network but not on my 4G mobile hotspot network. I technically can, but only find couple of chinese servers only, while when i'm on wifi i can see all servers European, ME, American etc...

-I can only play Battlefield V on my 4G mobile hotspot network and not on my wifi home ogero network. It even doesn't load on wifi and says that it's offline. Once I switch networks it works like a charm.
Other Origin games like Apex work perfectly fine on wifi.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (October 29 2019)

#5686 October 29 2019

LifeEngineer

Has anyone done any tests regarding wifi vs lan?!

I'm on ogero and my ping is bad although they have put me on interleaving off / low ping mode.
It hovers between 90 and 120 with occasional spikes to thousands for a couple of seconds each like 5 minutes. It gets very annoying while gaming.

Upstream    Downstream
Current Rate (kbps)    404    6400
Max Rate (kbps)    418    7680
SNR Margin (dB)    7.3    9.9
Line Attenuation (dB)    36.7    24.3
Errors (pkts)    89    504

I'm fine with downloads speeds but the ping issues are irritating me.

So would a LAN cable be very beneficiary for my case?!!
I'll have to go like 10m and cut through a wall so it's a bit of hassle that's why I'm asking, to see if it's worth it.
Would the ping spikes begone? How much would the ping be lower? Will it be more stable?!

I'd like to know if anyone conducted a quasi-scientific quantitative/qualitative tests about this matter: Wifi vs Lan.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (October 29 2019)

#5687 October 30 2019

AVOlio

Guys, does anyone know a good reliable internet provider in Monsef (above byblos).
There is no phone line, so dsl is not an option.

#5688 October 31 2019

ahk40a

AVOlio wrote:

Guys, does anyone know a good reliable internet provider in Monsef (above byblos).
There is no phone line, so dsl is not an option.

If you have a 4G enabled phone, try manual searching for available networks. if you find in your area a 4G network for Ogero, then your area is covered by LTE network by OGERO. it would be faster than ADSL.

#5689 October 31 2019

AVOlio

And then I would subscribe for LTE from alfa or touch?
I would rather not seeing the prices.
I was talking about cable internet.

#5690 October 31 2019

ahk40a

AVOlio wrote:

And then I would subscribe for LTE from alfa or touch?
I would rather not seeing the prices.
I was talking about cable internet.

What I mean is the following:
In some rural areas, there is no Ogero cable network, and they provide internet and landline over LTE.

if there is 4G network for Ogero in your area, you can buy that service from them. it is the same price as regular DSL and far more stable than cable.
https://www.ogero.gov.lb/dep.php?id=1
https://www.ogero.gov.lb/Maps/?id=1&subcat=23

Edit: I just looked your place up, and by checking the plan, your area is far from any LTE tower for Ogero. Sorry for that!

Last edited by ahk40a (October 31 2019)

#5691 November 26 2019

Techlover

Guys,
Which ISP would you recommend after Ogero?
I don't really care about gaming. I just need a stable connection but the private ISPs offers are better than ogero.
Any suggestions?

#5692 December 15 2019

Ari

if you live near jbeil, try fast2serve they are very reliable company that i am working with. no crazy speeds or crazy pings, just regular internet  pings around 150 180 and i have subscribed to 6mb 75GB and i usually get 5-4,7mb

#5693 December 23 2019

bobo619

Is anyone experiencing really slow bandwidth between 6p.m and 11 p.m ? I usually get around 16 mbps during non peak hours but for the last 3 weeks it drops to 1mbps from 6 till 11 pm . After talking to sodetel support she confessed that there is a nation wide problem with bandwidth. Is anyone have the same problem?

#5694 December 23 2019

nuclearcat

If they said exactly like that, then they lie, there is no nationwide problem with bandwidth.
But from 6pm till 11pm load is high on all ISP, and if ISP have decent bandwidth control, they might reduce priority on heavy accounts (depending on price of service) to reduce "pressure" on their backbone capacity.
if ISP is cheap - they lie about "nationwide problems".

#5695 January 14 2020

DG

https://libnanews.com/pas-dinterruption … rer-ogero/

Pas d’interruption d’internet au Liban, tente de rassurer Ogero

#5696 February 23 2020

DG

Edit: Contacted Mr. Kreidieh who assured me there will be no internet interruption.

Lebanese Telecommunications Might Crash in 10 Days

https://www.the961.com/lebanese-telecom … in-10-days

Apologies, should have posted this and the thread before under "articles".

Last edited by DG (February 23 2020)

#5697 March 15 2020

Tech Guru

#Ogero Started Rolling Out the 2x Speed 2X Quota from a  while.

Effective until end of April. (Possibility to Expand depending if the Corona Crises escalated more)

Check It Out.

#5698 March 15 2020

DG

Now that the government has stepped up containment measures and asked all private and public institutions to close their doors for 2 weeks, how will Ogero (and other ISPs) deal with the fact that people won't be able to pay their phone/DSL bills for the month of February which should have normally been issued after March 15th 2020 ?

#5699 March 16 2020

ahk40a

DG wrote:

Now that the government has stepped up containment measures and asked all private and public institutions to close their doors for 2 weeks, how will Ogero (and other ISPs) deal with the fact that people won't be able to pay their phone/DSL bills for the month of February which should have normally been issued after March 15th 2020 ?

The government, and since 17 of October had stopped all measures to freeze any landline due to lack of payment. This is still applicable till date. on the other hand, you may still pay your bills online using any debit card, if it is enabled for online payments by your bank. Check with your bank by calling the call center.

Also, you could pay your bill at any OMT branch.

Other ISPs has online payments as well, check their webpage for more information.

#5700 March 16 2020

Ezio

I'm a gamer, I was on ogero with open speed 200, though I was struggling because no unlimited night quota was provided. For that I decided to transfer to mobi 2 moths ago. However their service is disgusting and I'm unable to play online games since then. Are all private isp like that and if yes is there a way to avoid the 40 days no internet to go back to ogero.
Regards and f**k this country

Board footer