LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 5 2018

Xsever

Re: How to deal with sound nuisance from cars and motorcycles

Jerome wrote:

That also applies to getting angry at traffic. Some just view cars as moving objects, others view them as people who intend to make your life difficult.

Traffic used to bother me so much more when I first moved back to this country from Canada. The solution I found is my news feed reader app on my smartphone called greader. It can read all the articles in my news feed through the car's Bluetooth system. That's my morning ritual in traffic now and since I started that, the cars became "moving objects".

I still get bothered a bit from time to time when traffic is crazy, but I try to focus on isolating myself from the outside by listening to articles and learning new stuff. This time in traffic has allowed me to become much more knowledgeable about topics that I used to know nothing about.

I don't bury my head in the hand and pretend that this country is fine, but sometimes happiness and peace are a matter of perception and contentment.

#27 March 9 2018

rolf

I just found this study:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/235618/

Basically it says that intrusive noise pollution is directly related to level of health. Or in other worlds noise pollution is unhealthy - just like other types of pollution.

My question is whether anyway has any tips or support to offer in trying to report the issue ad have it dealt with by police (or such)?

#28 March 12 2018

Guitaret

rolf wrote:

I just found this study:

My question is whether anyway has any tips or support to offer in trying to report the issue ad have it dealt with by police (or such)?

This is case by case, and in all cases you can only work on mitigating the issue and not beat it to death.

Please bear in mind that is a very difficult problem to fix and I often read about celebrities facing the same issues and sometimes there is nothing they can do about it even with their huge bank account.

If you are referring to the noisy roundabout near your place, the police will definitely not help, I suggest you go beast mode in solving this:
Put it a number one priority to plant speed bumps on all roads near that roundabout, this will take the fun out for your friendly night-riders. This is election season and I am sure that if you take some of you neighbors with you to the municipality and ask for this you might get some help, if not ask for a meeting with the minister of transportation (وزير الأشغال). I am telling you that I have seen people getting what they want from officials by knocking on every door. Just don't give up and you will get this request answered, remember that corruption is a coin with 2 faces. Even if it is illegal to put those speed bumps, use all the means you have access to in order to get what you want.
Another thing that might help is putting a sign near this roundabout, a custom one made by the municipality to tell people to keep it quiet a night, one that is photo-luminescent. This will help a bit (I have seen this before in some streets in Lebanon). Some will tell you that it is useless and that all people will ignore it, I am telling you that not all people will ignore it, not all people are 100% careless.

Because you have my sympathy, I tried to help but I am not sure my ideas will be useful to you. I am sure there are plenty of other stuff you can do but remember a noisy neighborhood will always be a noisy neighborhood because population is going up, not down and so is the chaos.

Cheers

#29 March 12 2018

rolf

Thank you.

This is a difficult issue to solve but I've lived 4-5  years in Europe and never endured this problem. The only think I can think of is when I was in Germany, in a particular neighborhood, I suffered once or twice from Turkishmen "talking" (=shouting to each other in turkish) in the middle of the night, right under my window. I also had to endure noisy roommates, which was quite annoying.

But anyway the point I'm trying to make is that with some enforcement this issue can go away. It might be difficult for me to do any enforcement, especially on my own, however I don't think it's that difficult for police and authorities. I'm thinking all it would take is to post a staffed police car there, late in the afternoon and during the night for a few days to a week, and stop a few offenders, to make most if not all of the problem to go away. After all they're just a handful, maybe just 2 or 3 bikes, that are cause for all this. It would also be a good precedent to set.

Most of the annoyance comes from motorbikes, and I have observed that these have no license plates, so there is an excuse to stop them. Which by the way means the speed bumps might not be a great solution. There are already a few of them, and they mostly annoy the cars, that includes almost everyone in the neighborhood. Speedbumps might not get me many friends.

However you do make many good points. I also think that officials need a bit of pushing, but things can and do happen like that.

I think the best leads at the moment are, broadly:
- Try to talk with neighbors, gather support to create effective options
- Try to get the police/municipality involved

You mention that this is a difficult issue and that the population is going up and down, this should be good motivation to act. Unless we want to have even worse living standards than today in 10 years from now, something needs to be done about it!

Thank you for your support and advice, it is highly appreciated. Any amount of support is needed and welcome.

Last edited by rolf (March 12 2018)

#30 July 18 2019

rolf

Board footer