LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 10 2019

Joe

First human pictures of a blackhole

Supermassive black hole

The NSF just held a conference to unveil this. You can probably find out more about it on their Youtube channel

#2 April 10 2019

rolf

Re: First human pictures of a blackhole

Doesn't a blackhole absorb light? So how would light come out of it? What is that light actually?
I didn't see this on their youtube channel

#3 April 10 2019

Joe

They said words. I nodded and pretended to understand.
I just found the picture pretty :)

#4 April 10 2019

Joe

okay rolf, I spent the past 30 mins trying to understand what's this light. It's ... ugh, I'm not smart enough to get it.

However, some people are smart enough to explain it in simple words and simple drawings. This video does a good job I think of showing how light rays behave around a black hole (and yes, most of them will be absorbed).

#5 April 10 2019

rolf

Yes black hole would conceivably be the... black hole in the middle!
So anyway I am not that smart either I just know that a black hole absorbs the light. I was just curious where that light was coming from. Thanks, I'll check it out.
Thanks for trying to answer my question!

Last edited by rolf (April 10 2019)

#6 April 10 2019

infiniteloop

rolf wrote:

Doesn't a blackhole absorb light? So how would light come out of it? What is that light actually?
I didn't see this on their youtube channel

The light you see is from the accretion disk which is composed of dust and matters turning around the black hole at light speed so at very high temperatures making this light, but the center is black as expected, btw anything in the accretion disk is doomed, be it planets or stars, only something faster than speed of light can escape but nothing is faster (for now)

#7 April 11 2019

Tech Guru

The black hole - specifically not the black hole it self we are seeing but event horizon : ring of light — disrupted matter and radiation circling at tremendous speed at the the edge  — due to the sheer gravity of the black hole.  

We are seeing in the photographs is the way it looked 55 million 'light years' ago..its extremely far away. Remembering that light travels at a certain speed, and considering the extreme distance of the black hole..the light we are seeing from it is very old.

Perhaps it doesn't even exist anymore..due to the fact that we can't see it in 'real time'.

Speed of Light: 300,000 km/s

Light Travels in One Earth Year: 60 × 60 × 24 × 365 × 300,000 = 9.46 trillion km 

Distance : 55 million × 9.46 trillion km =  520,200,000,000,000,000,000 km

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 11 2019)

#8 April 11 2019

Hybrid

If it swallows planet earth, I wonder if we can survive in another universe. A blue sun would be cool

#9 April 11 2019

MrClass

Check these videos to understand more:

Images of the blackhole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_GVbuddri8

How to Understand the image of a blackhole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

#10 April 11 2019

VincentKeyboard

Hybrid wrote:

If it swallows planet earth, I wonder if we can survive in another universe. A blue sun would be cool

A blue sun is much hotter than a yellowish one so the planet will have to orbit around it at a larger radius, correct?

#11 April 11 2019

Tech Guru

Hybrid wrote:

Basically nothing will be escaped from a black hole , even light.  Due to the cheer gravidational pull of blacks , planets approach it will stretch & torn apart. The Question is does time ecape a black hole or it will stop there ?

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 11 2019)

#12 April 11 2019

DNA

infiniteloop wrote:

The light you see is from the accretion disk which is composed of dust and matters turning around the black hole at light speed so at very high temperatures making this light, but the center is black as expected, btw anything in the accretion disk is doomed, be it planets or stars, only something faster than speed of light can escape but nothing is faster (for now)

Actually matter in the accretion disk doesn't move at light speed, and no the accretion disk can be escaped with speed lower or equal to speed of light.

Tech Guru wrote:

Basically nothing will be escaped from a black hole , even light.  Due to the cheer gravitational pull of blacks , planets approach it will stretch & torn apart. The Question is does time escape a black hole or it will stop there ?

Your question doesn't make sense, time is a relative thing and it works relativistically normally even inside the event horizon!

and for the sake of this topic. guys you are thinking of black holes in the perspective of Newtonian gravity that is acceptable in a general casual discussion but that becomes so wrong when anyone tries to explain things you need to think of General relativity and forget about regular gravity. I know most of you aren't in depth with this stuff but if you are seeking answers you need to look in the right direction.
as an example related to what was discussed earlier that black hole's gravity is so great that light can't escape that statement is correct BUT light has no mass and Newtonian gravity as powerful as it gets cant interfere with Light. Light can't get sucked into a black hole nor it is literally bend to orbit the event horizon gravity itself doesn't interfere with light at all, light moves in a straight line in a vacuum. So you may ask then why it bends and even cant escape the event horizon if "gravity" isn't pulling it?? That's when general relativity steps in, a very simplified answer would be that the black hole's "gravity"  warps spacetime in such a way that straight lines in space  always point towards the singularity in a sense that if you move in the other direction you going back in time and you cant move back in time so after the event horizon the only way in space time is towards the singularity. that's the correct way of looking into it . i know it is too simple of an answer  and there is more ways to explain it but that's just to point you in the right direction.

#13 April 12 2019

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:

Your question doesn't make sense, time is a relative thing and it works relativistically normally even inside the event horizon!

"However black holes are even stranger than that. As you get closer to a black hole, the flow of time slows down, compared to flow of time far from the hole. (According to Einstein's theory, any massive body, including the Earth, produces this effect. Earth's gravity is so weak that the slowing of time is not noticeable, but the effect has been confirmed using sensitive instruments. For example, at sea level you age one-billionth of a second less every year than you would if you lived on top of Mt. Everest.) Near a black hole, the slowing of time is extreme. From the viewpoint of an observer outside the black hole, time stops. For example, an object falling into the hole would appear frozen in time at the edge of the hole".

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/seuforum/bh_whatare.htm

#14 April 12 2019

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:

NASA  need to recruit you asap :) , It is an open discussion here - none of us is  an astronomist here!

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 12 2019)

#15 April 12 2019

DNA

Tech Guru wrote:
DNA wrote:

NASA  need to recruit you asap :) , It is an open discussion here - none of us is  an astronomist here!

I know that, if my post appeared as if i am having attitude or something then you are wrong i answered your question  man the exclamation mark was to represent fascination.

#16 April 12 2019

infiniteloop

You gotta love the TV series ''How the Universe works'' it's addictive

blue sun? well their life is shorter than stars like ours and when they explode, because they have more mass they turn into a neutron star or a Black hole. Neutron stars are also very dangerous if you come too close to it

Board footer