LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 10 2018

beezer

ISP Overrride DNS

So I've been trying this new microwave internet connection, after getting a "real IP" things have gotten easier and browsing has become better. I've tried using my own DNS but it seems they are overriding the settings.

Put them in my router, in my computer and they show up when I do an ipconfig /all
However when I try to access websites it goes to their dns servers.

Anyone have any ideas?

I tried editing the hosts file and pointing their DNS IP to my DNS but that didn't work.

#2 August 10 2018

nuclearcat

Re: ISP Overrride DNS

You need to run DNS over HTTPS, this one cannot be overridden, or VPN, where you can pass your DNS requests.
ISPs do that because everybody start to put without need 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 and it makes issues with CDN (google/facebook/netflix), and some equipment is even worse, supplied and using such DNS while ISP provide recommended DNS.

#3 August 10 2018

rolf

I don't know what is happening. You can manually set the DNS on your computer.
However it is possible that the ISP will transparently redirect any DNS request to their server, effectively hijacking your connection.
As nuclearcat pointed out you can use secure DNS or you can use a VPN (possibly a Socks proxy would work too). This should be impossible for them to intercept.
I have to ask, you say "it didn't work". How exactly did you determine that?

#4 August 11 2018

beezer

I ended up using DNS over VPN which is not the most economical way since it can only be run on computers.

I determined that they are hijacking the dns by using a traceroute when I put my own dns servers. It totally ignored them, when using the hosts file it seemed like it worked but then trying to access what I wanted to access, it didn't work.

I'm wondering if I enable static routing on the router
isp dns -> my dns
But not sure what netmask address to put? 255.255.255.255?

#5 August 11 2018

rolf

If they are hijacking DNS then routing will not change anything.
Also if they are hijacking DNS it should not affect traceroute because traceroute uses ICMP packets which is something else.
Hijacking DNS means it detects any packet destined to port 53 (DNS) and instead of forwarding it to the DNS destination server (for example 8.8.8.8) it will redirect it to their own DNS server (and pretend that it is 8.8.8.8). So there is nothing you can do because it happens "in secret" inside the ISP network.
SSL (secure connections), they cannot mess with them, and VPN uses a secure connection.

Last edited by rolf (August 11 2018)

#6 August 13 2018

Hybrid

Which ISP

#7 August 14 2018

beezer

Hybrid wrote:

Which ISP

Not really sure, just a guy out here who's supplying a microwave connection.

Board footer