LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 4 2015

DG

Installing Deluge on Centos 6.6

Hello,

I currently have rtorrent 0.9.4 installed and, apparently, it's an unstable version. Every time I add or delete a torrent there's a 50% chance it will crash. So I decided to try Deluge and I found this tutorial. However, I have a few minor questions for people versed in Linux:

The tutorial: http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop … os#p197273

The questions:
1) Will this guide install the latest version of Deluge for me ?

2) I understand the following command adds a user called Deluge "sudo useradd --system --home /var/lib/deluge deluge" but why do we need to add that user and what are the options "--system" and "--home" ?

3) I already have torrents that I am seeding in the directory home/myusername/downloads. Can I just point Deluge to look there and start seeding them automatically ?

4) Will it be easy to uninstall Deluge and remove any trace of it from my system in case I decide to do that later ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DG (July 4 2015)

#2 July 4 2015

DG

Re: Installing Deluge on Centos 6.6

I went ahead and installed it and I got version 1.3.5. However, there are several columns lacking such as "seeds" "peers" "total uploaded" and "total downloaded" etc...
My guess is those were added in a later version. What is the highest version of Deluge I can install on Centos 6.6 ?

#3 July 4 2015

TheStunMan

#4 July 5 2015

DG

I did (I tried version 2.84) and its interface is also very basic compared to rtorrent. Unless I installed some outdated version.

Any other Linux client, with a new complete interface, that I can use (apart from rtorrent, transmission and deluge) ?

Last edited by DG (July 5 2015)

#5 July 5 2015

Hybrid

Not really familiar with deluge, but for your
2)

-d, --home HOME_DIR
    The new user will be created using HOME_DIR as the value for the user's login directory. The default is to append the LOGIN name to BASE_DIR and use that as the login directory name. The directory HOME_DIR does not have to exist but will not be created if it is missing.

-r, --system
    Create a system account.

System users will be created with no aging information in /etc/shadow, and their numeric identifiers are choosen in the SYS_UID_MIN-SYS_UID_MAX range, defined in /etc/login.defs, instead of UID_MIN-UID_MAX (and their GID counterparts for the creation of groups).

Note that useradd will not create a home directory for such an user, regardless of the default setting in /etc/login.defs (CREATE_HOME). You have to specify the -m options if you want a home directory for a system account to be created.

I'm guessing You need to add a new user to run the program/script, because running is as root could potentially be dangerous and can jeopardize your entire server in case your program/script was vulnerable .

Last edited by Hybrid (July 5 2015)

#6 July 5 2015

DG

Ok guys, upon trying this tutorial: http://idroot.net/tutorials/how-to-inst … -centos-6/
I also used "yum list deluge" and got the "1.3.5-1.el6" version which is very basic (missing several UI columns such as "seeds", "peers", "downloaded", "uplodaed", etc...)
How can I know what the latest Deluge version that will work on Centos 6.6 is ?
How can I install the latest version since the "yum" repository I am checking doesn't seem to be up to date ?

#7 July 5 2015

DG

Ok I installed Deluge and found the option to add/modify columns. I will try it out. Thanks for the replies

Board footer