LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 22 2015

tbaba

VPS suggestion

I'm looking to rent a vps, with low price ( not like azure ), do you have any suggestion ?

PS: i found DigitalOcean.com but it's refusing my credit card ( Master Card )

#2 February 22 2015

Alloushi

Re: VPS suggestion

tbaba wrote:

I'm looking to rent a vps, with low price ( not like azure ), do you have any suggestion ?

PS: i found DigitalOcean.com but it's refusing my credit card ( Master Card )

What are you going to use the VPS for

#3 February 22 2015

rtp

http://www.accuwebhosting.com , i purchased the windows VPS (SSD), they are very helpful, so far so good.

#4 February 22 2015

tbaba

@Alloushi, I'm going to use it for hybrid mobile apps, needs traffics as priority, no need for high CPU or RAMs since it's just JavaScript Code ( ionic framework )
@rtp the traffic there is only 150Gb which is a risky for me

#5 February 22 2015

Alloushi

tbaba wrote:

@Alloushi, I'm going to use it for hybrid mobile apps, needs traffics as priority, no need for high CPU or RAMs since it's just JavaScript Code ( ionic framework )
@rtp the traffic there is only 150Gb which is a risky for me

if money isn't a problem go with ovh, they're reliable.

#6 February 22 2015

ironman

Try Linode

#7 February 22 2015

user

Ramnode, I really like them. The owner Nick Adams is reachable by email and responds very quickly should you have any problems what so ever. That said, they are cheap(like digital ocean) the cpu they give you is powerful(it's much more powerful than digital ocean, I benchmarked, and my websites benefit from the improvement) storage is good. The downside is they have a policy against running your virtual cpu to 100% for more than an hour a day, but you should never have that problem in any reasonable usage.

Digital ocean is fine too, but I dislike them not having an option for larger storage, and their support is very stiff.

#8 February 22 2015

Hybrid

Digitalocean accepts only credit cards (not debit cards)

If you're looking for a cloud similar to DO try vultr.com https://www.vultr.com/pricing/

Thumbs up for Ramnode as well.

I wouldn't suggest OVH VPS, haven't been getting good reviews lately

Edit:
Here's a quick benchmark of Do vs Vultr (both $5/month plan)

Digitalocean (NYC):

# bash bench.sh
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  2399.998 MHz
Total amount of ram : 490 MB
Total amount of swap : 511 MB
System uptime :   7 days, 20:44,
Download speed from CacheFly: 70.8MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 56.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.17MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.24MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 9.60MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 85.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.61MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 12.9MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.7MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 56.1MB/s
I/O speed :  220.1 MB/s

Vultr (Europe):

# bash bench.sh
CPU model :  Vultr Virtual CPU 2
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency :  3392.158 MHz
Total amount of ram : 742 MB
Total amount of swap : 710 MB
System uptime :   179 days, 19:32,
Download speed from CacheFly: 78.8MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 13.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 9.56MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.44MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 52.4MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 12.5MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.12MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.86MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 7.95MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 13.1MB/s
I/O speed :  426 MB/s

Last edited by Hybrid (February 22 2015)

#9 February 22 2015

user

It's weird though, I am a long time subscriber of digital ocean with a audi debit card(master card) I wonder when they changed that

#10 February 22 2015

Hybrid

user wrote:

It's weird though, I am a long time subscriber of digital ocean with a audi debit card(master card) I wonder when they changed that

Several months ago, due to high number of chargebacks.

#11 February 22 2015

Stygmata
Banned

Check cedarshost.com. ..I already have 3 vps and 18 domains with them ...they are a lebanese company

#12 February 22 2015

user

cedarhost looks very far from cheap, at ~50$ a month for the cheapest linux vps.10 times more expensive than the competition.

#13 February 22 2015

Stygmata
Banned

user wrote:

cedarhost looks very far from cheap, at ~50$ a month for the cheapest linux vps.10 times more expensive than the competition.

10 times cheaper? ?? Come on ..

#14 February 22 2015

user

Considering the storage and the virtual cpu that we know nothing about, yes. If we're talking about ram, then 3 times cheaper.

They are expensive, I can get a dedicated server with that much money. There is also no mention(at least I could not find) of the location where they are hosting. It makes a great deal of difference what the location is, the latency can vary depending on the distance from your clients to the server

#15 February 22 2015

Hybrid

I agree with "user", cedarhost are considered expensive.

If I remember correctly, they were banned from this forum a while back for advertising and not giving much info and using nulled scripts.

Though some of the reasons that their VPSes could be expensive, are because they are "Managed" VPSes with a cpanel.
Licensed cPanel is alone around $10 per month per VPS.
"Managed" server is a gray area, but usually it covers both software and hardware faults, plus tech support, patching, troubleshooting, backup and server monitoring.

If they are to be compared with unamanged VPSes, then yes they are more than 10 times expensive, probably 15 times or more. However, comparing them to other managed VPSes providers, they are around 10~50% more expensive.

#16 February 22 2015

Johnaudi

I personally use DatabaseMart, just because it's super cheap. It's for tests and small webservers, don't need something big.

#17 February 23 2015

rolf

I use a German company called Hosteurope. I have a Windows Server 2008 Datacenter R2 with a couple of Gigas of RAM, maybe 50GB disk, and unlimited very fast connection, and pay about 13 Euros/month (using my Lebanese card).
Might not be the best setup, especially regarding scalability, but it does the job rather well overall, considering the price.
The company being german, part of their interface is in German. It's not such a huge problem for me because I speak german, but it might be for you.

Last edited by rolf (February 23 2015)

#18 February 23 2015

tbaba

So based on your suggestions, we have these options:
- accuwebhosting ( @rtp ) 1GB RAM, 35GB HDD, 150GB Bandwidth, windows server => 8.15USD/Month
- ovh ( @Alloushi ) 2GB RAM, 25GB HDD, 10TB Bandwidth ( speed 100Mbps ) => 14.99USD/Month
- linode ( @ironman ) 1GB RAM, 24GB SSD, 2TB Bandwidth => 10USD/Month
- ramnode ( @user ) 256MB RAM, 25GB HDD, 1000GB Bandwidth => 8USD/qtr
- vultr ( @Hybrid ) 768MB RAM, 15GB SSD Disk, 1TB Bandwidth, linux => 5USD/Month // 2GB RAM, 40GB SSD Disk, 3TB Bandwidth, windows => 15USD/Month
- cedarshost ( @Stygmata ) 2Gb RAM, 40GB HDD, 1000GB Bandwidth, windows server 2012 => 60.45USD/Month
- databasemart (@Johnaudi ) Shared RAM, Unlimited Bandwidth, Windows server 2012 R2 => 4.99USD/Month
- hosteurope ( @rolf ) RAM: 2Gb, 150GB SATA, Windows/Linux => 12.99Euro/Month ( 13.65USD )

#19 February 23 2015

user

No, I am not suggesting you get openvz from ramnode, I am suggesting the KVM which is 7$ a month 60 GB storage(ssd cached) and 2 cores 512 ram.
OPENVZ is shared memory, so it is more vulnerable to security problems and I think it does not cache well in memory since memory is shared too.

I did not notice cedarhost was managed, then yeah they are not as expensive as I made them out to be, still expensive though.

I'll give a thumbs up to linode as well, I heard good things about them over the years.

Last edited by user (February 23 2015)

#20 February 23 2015

Stygmata
Banned

Cedarshost.com is fully managed with root access...I believe the servers are based in uk .
It is a lebanese company ..you have 100% support

#21 February 23 2015

Hybrid

@tbaba, if you know the exact requirements of the server you want in terms of RAM / HDD space, bandwidth, CPU, OS and expected uptime SLA (99%, 99.9% or 99.99%), I can recommend many more hosts.

I only recommended vultr since it's the closest thing to Digitalocean which you mentioned in your first post.

#22 February 23 2015

Prince

and there is Ramnode too OVH i had a bad experience with them ..

#23 February 23 2015

tbaba

@Hybrid, I'm looking for Windows Server OS or a Linux with visual interface (ubunto, fedora, etc.. ), minimum 1GB RAM and Bandwidth, I will use it to develop html5 websites and mobile hybrid apps ( mostly JavaScript Code )

I mentioned DigitalOcean because it was the first thing that my friend suggested to me

#24 February 23 2015

rolf

Nice list. Useful if someone is looking for a VPS. I'm always looking for something better myself.

I had Linux before but moved everything to Windows.
Windows has it's advantages.

Last edited by rolf (February 23 2015)

#25 February 24 2015

scorpioxy

Just chiming in because I read that you wanted a Linux box with a visual interface. It's not a good idea to have a desktop environment on a server. So if you're not comfortable with a Linux command line then you're better off with a windows server. It'll be a bit more expensive since the provider needs to pay for a license but you'll probably be more comfortable in a familiar environment.

Having said that, for VPS I host with Linode on 2 gig instances. Excellent service. AWS might be an option for you. You pay hourly and they have Linux and Windows machines.

Board footer