LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 11 2012

samer
Admin

Skype (PC-to-Phone) being filtered?

Skype Out is the paid service that allows you to make international calls via Skype.

For the past month, I have no been able to make any successful calls.
The phone rings on the other side, when the call connects none of the parties hear anything. After a certain number of seconds, the call is automatically dropped.
I have reproduced this on TerraNet, IDM and Alfa 3G. Can anyone confirm this?

Note: I am talking about the situation where you are calling from your PC to a landline or mobile phone. This does not affect PC-to-PC calling, which is working fine.

#2 March 11 2012

DNA

Re: Skype (PC-to-Phone) being filtered?

i am with ogero and the same thing happens to me, but i cannot confirm they are blocking it.

#3 March 11 2012

babum

Well I have been doing sip calling from Alfa 3G, so they might not be blocking voip. But no idea about skype out

#4 March 11 2012

eurybaric

tried running it through tor? it could prove if it were blocked or not, right?

#5 March 11 2012

samer
Admin

I'm trying to get external validity by checking if people with different setups than mine can reproduce the issue.
Assuming they are blocking it, it's interesting that they're allowing the handshake to take place, but not the actual voice data.

Update: I just talked to Nuclearcat (who works at VISP), it seems that Ogero has indeed blocked SkypeOut. This means all (legal) ISPs are affected. It seems that deep packet inspection is being used. Any further technical info about the filtering would be appreciated.

#6 March 11 2012

m0ei

Buy a VPN account with a dedicated ip ?
www.nvpn.net is a good and cheap one.

#7 March 11 2012

Kareem

samer wrote:

I'm trying to get external validity by checking if people with different setups than mine can reproduce the issue.
Assuming they are blocking it, it's interesting that they're allowing the handshake to take place, but not the actual voice data.

Update: I just talked to Nuclearcat (who works at VISP), it seems that Ogero has indeed blocked SkypeOut. This means all (legal) ISPs are affected. It seems that deep packet inspection is being used. Any further technical info about the filtering would be appreciated.

But I don't get it, why blocking skype and not all VoIP services ?  I am making calls over the Internet everyday, service has never been better.

#8 March 12 2012

samer
Admin

Buy a VPN account with a dedicated ip ?
www.nvpn.net is a good and cheap one.

The point was to investigate whether it were being intentionally being filtered by Ogero or if it is a misconfiguration issue.

But I don't get it, why blocking skype and not all VoIP services ?  I am making calls over the Internet everyday, service has never been better.

Eliminating 80% by doing 20% of the work.

#9 March 12 2012

Leonedes

I have a skype phone and I am experiencing exactly what you're facing with skypeOut. (TerraNet) Is there any workaround possible ?

#10 March 12 2012

GreenM

same here. I have Skype on my phone and I use it all the time to make calls to landline and mobile numbers and lately I have been experiencing the same, cant hear the other person and vice versa.

#11 March 13 2012

paco

Yes indeed they blocked skype out and all the other VOIP.
If you use windows Hotspot shield is your new friend for VOIP

#12 March 13 2012

Leonedes

I mean a "Skype Phone" as in literally a cordless home phone that has skype on it. Any solution for my case or am I obliged to use some vpn and call only over pc? The skype phone connects to the internet through lan, is it possible to connect my pc to a vpn and output a lan cord to the skype phone by maybe adding another lan card to my pc?

#13 March 13 2012

babum

I would say either use your PC as a server for your phone connected to a vpn or configure a vpn on your router (No idea if it's possible).

Though try searching for the answer online, Im sure other people have also had the same issue.

Last edited by babum (March 13 2012)

#14 March 13 2012

samer
Admin

Leonedes, as long as you are calling someone who is also using Skype, you don't need a VPN because those calls are not being filtered.

#15 March 13 2012

Leonedes

I am strictly talking about SkypeOut ... I use the skype phone to call relatives on their home phones abroad.

Last edited by Leonedes (March 13 2012)

#16 May 17 2012

GreenM

I just figured out how to use Skype on 3G. I created a free VPN account and set it up on my mobile! I can call numbers and the other party can hear me but of course I still can't receive Skype calls forwarded to my mobile number. I will have to have Skype app open all the time so to not miss any call.

#17 May 17 2012

AnTo

I have been facing this problem in the past months, i have tried with multiple ISP's (OGERO, Moscanet, and Lynx), it's the same.

Seems OGERO Blocked it.

#18 May 28 2012

Vartan

did you check if the port of skype out is blocked ?

#19 September 3 2012

BAgha

What about Signing a Petition and presenting it to the Minister of Telecommunications?

#20 September 3 2012

nuclearcat

Badga - he will send to you petition then, how you can help him pay country financial debt :)

#21 September 3 2012

redbyte

This may be off topic but Google's pc to phone service is not affected as I use it daily. Their rates are pretty good and call quality is superb, for those of you looking for an alternative

#22 September 3 2012

BAgha

nuclearcat wrote:

Badga - he will send to you petition then, how you can help him pay country financial debt :)

The country's financial debt was not my fault. They now discovered Gas. Let them use the Gas money to pay off the Debt instead of filling their pockets.

If we do not take action, then Ogero will gradually block all VoIP. Yesterday, it was Skype Out, today it's LocalPhone, tomorrow it'll be something else.

#23 September 3 2012

Cruel.C0re

nuclearcat wrote:

The country's financial debt was not my fault. They now discovered Gas. Let them use the Gas money to pay off the Debt instead of filling their pockets.

"offtopic" IF they Begin extracting gas.. we will not get a cent from it .they will keep filling their pockets cz no one will stop them  "/offtopic"

#24 September 3 2012

Opeth

I heard somewhere that it's blocked but I can't really confirm that.

Board footer