LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 June 3 2011

Monkey D. Luffy
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

When I bought my htc Hero in 2010 it cost me 700$ from Micro Age... talk about stealing when I could find for 480$ a Nexus 1 "tehrib" :/
Since this happened to me I guess I wouldn't care less from where I buy my phone as long as it is cheap and good quality

Offline

#27 June 4 2011

jsaade
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

If you keep buying tehrib, you will never get official device at a cheap price.
This is the same as Software Piracy. If the country and its people only use pirated material (software or hardware) all the manufacturers will drop the support and actually this is why we are such a third world country (no real laws applied).
You are searching for a good and cheap product and the laws do not protect the rights of the providers so you take advantage of that.

In a more specific way, let's say you have a friend in the US who got you the latest phone at 530$ and it is priced here at 1000$ and at Amhaz @ 560$. If you go and buy it at 530$ from the US, it is the same as buying it at 1000$ from here, you are paying the company the right to sell in the US or in Lebanon. If you buy it from Amhaz or whatever at 560$ you are making sure that Company X that manufacturers this device will never open in Lebanon and you will never get this phone at 530$ some day in the future.

I know it is not our job to make sure all this happen, but we can have a little bit of social awareness and not be so public about advertising such Companies that are in my opinion ruining our economy.

Offline

#28 June 4 2011

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Again Zeraw we are with you in your logic BUT the problem is mainly the Lebanese mafias who claim themself as businessman and want to win at least 150$ on every single phone they sell.
If they didn't steal from us on the first place a shop like amhaz wouldn't even exist, how can you explain that a 500$ phone is sold 1000$ here (iphone4)??
So we need HTC,SE and Motorola themself to open their own showroom with the real international prices in Lebanon if we don't want to be stealed.
I don't see any difference between some Lebanese businessman and the guy who steal a bank

Offline

#29 June 4 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

since there is no law in lebanon that make piracy or hacking illegal you can't stop softwares piracy and due to unreasonable high prices of official distributors in comparison of "tehrib" phone and the "falaten at gamerik" so all the illegal phone can enter lebanon so easy. the only solution is that Alfa and MTC provide legal locked phones for cheap prices. i have an Alfa line and i am not planning to change it so i don't care if my phone is locked and maybe they can offer 2 or 1 years plan so you can get your phone free or almost free. it's the only solution if official distributors don't afford lower prices and if "tehrib" stays .

Offline

#30 June 5 2011

samer
Administrator

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

since there is no law in lebanon that make piracy or hacking illegal

Of course there is.
Lebanon signed both the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works and the Universal Copyright Convention according to this. You need to do some research before posting something that you present as a fact.

Offline

#31 June 5 2011

WizaRd
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Even though wikipedia is 95% correct in most cases, the first rule you learn at university is to never refer to it.

We're well accustomed to the Lebanese way of signing on something and doing technically nothing when it comes to the implementation anyway.

Offline

#32 June 5 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

@Samer sorry for the incorrect info that i have posted, but i don't remember (maybe there is some case that i don't know about it for accuracy) any time that someone was accused for hacking or piracy and you can see that the market is fulled with pirated softwares and movies
and my idea was why we don't have sim locked phones from MTC and Alfa for cheap prices ?

Last edited by m.sabra (June 5 2011)

Offline

#33 June 5 2011

samer
Administrator

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

WizaRd wrote:

Even though wikipedia is 95% correct in most cases, the first rule you learn at university is to never refer to it.

I used wikipedia merely to locate the information. The actual sources are Unesco and the WIPO.

Offline

#34 June 5 2011

jsaade
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

m.sabra wrote:

@Samer sorry for the incorrect info that i have posted, but i don't remember (maybe there is some case that i don't know about it for accuracy) any time that someone was accused for hacking or piracy and you can see that the market is fulled with pirated softwares and movies
and my idea was why we don't have sim locked phones from MTC and Alfa for cheap prices ?

Because the cellphone dealers need direct access to the providers and in our case the providers need authorization from the government for every single move.

Offline

#35 June 5 2011

Monkey D. Luffy
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

ZeRaW wrote:
m.sabra wrote:

@Samer sorry for the incorrect info that i have posted, but i don't remember (maybe there is some case that i don't know about it for accuracy) any time that someone was accused for hacking or piracy and you can see that the market is fulled with pirated softwares and movies
and my idea was why we don't have sim locked phones from MTC and Alfa for cheap prices ?

Because the cellphone dealers need direct access to the providers and in our case the providers need authorization from the government for every single move.

Plus these 2 providers have only a 1 year contract that they renew every year so :/

Offline

#36 June 6 2011

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Exemple: I talked to a Samsung salesman yesterday and asked about the SGS2...he said not before September!!!
Amhaz should get it this week ;)

Offline

#37 June 6 2011

AMDeeb
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

vegetaleb wrote:

Exemple: I talked to a Samsung salesman yesterday and asked about the SGS2...he said not before September!!!
Amhaz should get it this week ;)

So what? You get it before the distributor gets it, without warranty? without after sale service?

Offline

#38 June 11 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

yes an i don't have a problem with that

Offline

#39 June 11 2011

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Actual defaut of fabrication are obvious the first minutes you use the phone, so just try it in the shop before paying.
Software problems are not a problem anymore because with Android you can just flah the rom again and again (old nokia and SE proprietary phones are history now)
Just check screen,speaker,camera and try calling...if everything is good then mabrouk

Offline

#40 June 11 2011

AMDeeb
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

vegetaleb wrote:

Actual defaut of fabrication are obvious the first minutes you use the phone, so just try it in the shop before paying.
Software problems are not a problem anymore because with Android you can just flah the rom again and again (old nokia and SE proprietary phones are history now)
Just check screen,speaker,camera and try calling...if everything is good then mabrouk

Definitely NOT! Never heard of duty cycles? The electronic components might have limited duty cycle, so they will fail after a period of time! u cannot know at the very beginning.

Sensors, touch screens, scroll wheels....All these components might have a defect, thus they will fail before expected.

Last edited by AMDeeb (June 11 2011)

Offline

#41 June 11 2011

vegetaleb
Banned

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

It was true on the first devices using those technologies, now it's extremely rare

Offline

#42 June 11 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

in some samsung devices if you typed *#0*# you will get a screen to test your phone it includes scree,touch,speaker,camera,sensor,vibrator,camera flash ...

Offline

#43 June 11 2011

AMDeeb
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

m.sabra wrote:

in some samsung devices if you typed *#0*# you will get a screen to test your phone it includes scree,touch,speaker,camera,sensor,vibrator,camera flash ...

So for what reason there is 1 year warranty for phones, and up to 4 years warranty for Laptop if we can test our electronic devices from the first minutes ?

Offline

#44 June 11 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

in my opinion it's just madness to pay this much money just for warranty Samsung Lebanon claims that the GSII will be available for below 1000$ so maybe 900$ and it's available now for 675$ and i am certain that it will be cheaper in the next few weeks and as Vegetaleb said software and OS are not considered problems anymore and manufacturing problems are extremely rare so just don't be so pessimist.

Offline

#45 June 23 2011

mewar
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Thank you m.sabra for your previous reply. But is 675$ the final SGSII price? And does anyone know the current price of the predecessor the S one at the shop?

Offline

#46 June 23 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

correction the SGSII2 price at the last time i checked was 665$ and as i know yes the prices are final. but you should call or ask them at facebook for the latest prices because prices usually drop every week.

Offline

#47 June 23 2011

blabsters
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

Guys can we have one thread for phones/amhaz/ everything else ? Its a waste having a billion threads discussing the same two phones over and over again !

Offline

#48 June 23 2011

m.sabra
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

blabsters wrote:

Guys can we have one thread for phones/amhaz/ everything else ? Its a waste having a billion threads discussing the same two phones over and over again !

people are asking questions about this topic anywhere even in Forum loby and i am just answering it's not my fault.

Offline

#49 June 23 2011

rtwo2008
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

regarding buying tehreeb or not, lebanon is a city of 4 million people, so a dealership cant expect to become billionaires with such a small population of consumers. but for some reason they are actually trying to become billionaires by marking up the price so much that it's just ridiculous to buy any electronic device from the dealer.

so now we have 2 choices, either we dont buy from the dealer hoping that one he will wake up and join us on planet earth and give realistic prices (in the meantime we buy tehreeb to keep up with tech), or we keep buying from the dealer proving to them we r the gullible saps they thought we were.

tehreeb is the best resort in the current sick dealership system. and i seriously dont expect the dealer to lower the prices if his sales surge, he will be looking at the next yacht to buy with all that extra money and maybe he might grow a pair and even raise the price more just because "he can".

Offline

#50 June 24 2011

eurybaric
Member

Re: Amhaz (Stars Communications) shop

@rtwo what about import taxes? are they part of the dealer/importer's plan? are they private or public? aren't they the main reason behind the astronomical tech/everything prices in Lebanon?

Offline

Board footer