LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#226 November 25 2014

nefe_lpmk

Re: World of Warcraft - Game Thread

sfcmradj wrote:

Hi everyone, i am new to WoW and i already created account on Emerald Dream server. any guide or help or i just play till i reach level to be able to join your group?

Do you play horde or alliance ?

#227 November 26 2014

sfcmradj

I play a human hunter for the alliance. Well I am still new level 6 player.so I can create another character if need be.

#228 November 26 2014

maulader

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Join us , we are a group of Lebanese friends on Emerald Dream - US  ( good 50/50 world pvp server)

how are you handling the high pings there? my 70ms to EU is frustrating enough...

#229 December 15 2014

ghattas.akkad

Hmmm i just switched to EU with a 100 Worgen warlock
any EU realm guilds here?

#230 December 15 2014

NAM

I'm playing EU server "Auchindoun" level 100 blood DK "Hordecore" .. in a guild, not a very good one though

#231 December 22 2014

user

Guys, is wow worth getting into now? It has been launched years ago, would I be completely useless if I joined now? And is the game still a good game?

I am looking to play a game with guilds and voice chats and have dungeon raids and cooperative gameplays and stuff... Would it be the game for me?

#232 December 22 2014

NAM

It is at least one of the top 3 mmorpgs till this day .. the community is active .. but you should find a good guild.
as for the game-play now it is very competitive now after the launch of the new patch ... a new feature was the introduction of a instant level 90 with each purchase of the game (not sure if this is still applicable) .. the level 90 boost can also be bought multiple of times .. so if you are a new player and if you are familiar with mmorpgs then you can level up after the first 20 levels or you just level one character like i did and then invest the boost in a character you think that might suit your game-play better.

in short a very good and active game for now, but unfortunately things will settle soon, so better try it now i think you will like it.

#233 July 26 2015

ghattas.akkad

hello any active users still playing the game I have a level 100 warlock worgen alliance on EU server and my main account is a US account on emerald dream realm "guild angels of apocalypse" with 2 level 90s (human warlock:guigoo and worgen DK:thedarkened) alliance I will getting the expansion on the US as I have some good professions and gold and I will boost a horde paladin to 90 and move on to 100 on both

if there are still someone active on any of those servers let me know

#234 August 10 2015

Kazouza

Anyone playing on Argent Dawn, Sylvanas, Ravencrest EU?

#235 September 9 2015

Totoro

Kazouza wrote:

Anyone playing on Argent Dawn, Sylvanas, Ravencrest EU?

Hey Kazouza, I'm taking a break at the moment, only playing Hearthstone and some other games, I'm on Ravencrest Alliance.
Btag: Melkor#2987 if interested. I play Retribution and Mage ! :)

#236 May 1 2016

Ploto

Legion on august 30th, 2016

Who wants to play the expansion?

i will be raiding on twilight's hammer-EU as a boomkin. If anyone is good and wants to raid mythic and still has interest in the game contact me please.

Also concerning the warcraft movie, if you would like to go watch it with 10+ warcraft fans till now, give me a direct message.

Thanks

Ploto#2903

#237 May 1 2016

Anthony2000

Ploto wrote:

i will be raiding on twilight's hammer-EU as a boomkin. If anyone is good and wants to raid mythic and still has interest in the game contact me please.

Also concerning the warcraft movie, if you would like to go watch it with 10+ warcraft fans till now, give me a direct message.

Thanks

Ploto#2903

i have not touched the mmo,
but i have played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
and i really look forward to the movie mainly because i like fantasy stuff + the lead actor is awesome
is it enough for me to join you guys ?

Last edited by Anthony2000 (May 1 2016)

#238 May 2 2016

bermudapineapple

Don't join WoW now. It is at it's lowest point since the game was created. Wait until the reviews for Legion or until Blizzard makes legacy realms.

#239 May 3 2016

Totoro

Anthony2000 wrote:
Ploto wrote:

Thanks

Ploto#2903

i have not touched the mmo,
but i have played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
and i really look forward to the movie mainly because i like fantasy stuff + the lead actor is awesome
is it enough for me to join you guys ?

I agree with tt400 about the game, don't join now, wait for Legacy servers or play a month before Legion.
Also, I'll be watching the movie (which comes out on March 26th in Lebanon) at CityCenter because I'm sure they'll put it on IMAX.
Been waiting forever for this movie! It's finally here.

@Ploto. I'm guessing you're horde if you're on Twilight Hammer. I'd love to raid during Legion, I play Shadowpriest as Horde on Kazzak and Holy Paladin as Alliance on Ravencrest.

Last edited by Totoro (May 3 2016)

#240 May 3 2016

xterm

tt400 wrote:

Don't join WoW now. It is at it's lowest point since the game was created. Wait until the reviews for Legion or until Blizzard makes legacy realms.

Doubtful you'll ever see legacy(vanilla) servers:

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic … 6?page=1#1

-

For a new player, it does not matter when to start playing, you have a long way before anything related to Legion matters to you.

#241 May 3 2016

Totoro

xterm wrote:

Blizzard are meeting with the people who created the private server Nostralius this week I believe. They're working something out. And if that doesn't work out they'll create a pristine realm for players that resembles Vanilla, of course no one would want that as much as classic WoW but still it's something.

#242 May 3 2016

DG

I don't care about the fact that the number of subscriptions might be at its lowest point and this kind of reasoning never appealed to me.
I personally play the game because I still enjoy it with friends (never stopped or took a break since 2009).
Of course, the game has gone through tremendous changes since its inception but it's still one of the rare MMOs that offer a lot of things to do (even at max level).

#243 May 3 2016

xterm

Totoro wrote:

Blizzard are meeting with the people who created the private server Nostralius this week I believe. They're working something out. And if that doesn't work out they'll create a pristine realm for players that resembles Vanilla, of course no one would want that as much as classic WoW but still it's something.

Maintaining diverging paths of software is way too costly and complex for any company. (even one as big as Activision-Blizzard)

Pristine realms aren't going to satisfy the Vanilla cravers and Blizzard has clearly said that they will not maintain or allow Nostralius folk to maintain a vanilla realm. The link was pretty clear on that.

My guess is they will simply keep the discussions open indefinitely or until such a time when they find good reason in having a vanilla realm. (factoring number of players, difficulty to maintain and income)

I'd much rather they invest every single asset they have making the game better, than worrying about vanilla, but that's just me.

#244 May 3 2016

Totoro

xterm wrote:
Totoro wrote:

Maintaining diverging paths of software is way too costly and complex for any company. (even one as big as Activision-Blizzard)

Pristine realms aren't going to satisfy the Vanilla cravers and Blizzard has clearly said that they will not maintain or allow Nostralius folk to maintain a vanilla realm. The link was pretty clear on that.

My guess is they will simply keep the discussions open indefinitely or until such a time when they find good reason in having a vanilla realm. (factoring number of players, difficulty to maintain and income)

I'd much rather they invest every single asset they have making the game better, than worrying about vanilla, but that's just me.

Yeah I wish they would do that too. But I would definitely play Vanilla-TBC realms if they were released again. I don't want to sound like the typical 'it was so good back in the day' guy but I actually had the most fun playing the first three expansions of WoW with friends. I've tried many MMO's and they were all just meh. After a while it just gets boring playing shooter and moba games.

#245 May 3 2016

bermudapineapple

xterm wrote:
tt400 wrote:

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic … 6?page=1#1

-

For a new player, it does not matter when to start playing, you have a long way before anything related to Legion matters to you.

It's about the money. I agree they won't create legacy servers just because they might make a profit since they can devote their efforts into creating something else which will net them even more profit in the long run. However, if Legion fails, the WoW subscription numbers are going to tank and this will raise a few questions about the direction of WoW and it may provide the incentive to create legacy realms.

Jagex did so and now there are two entirely different games of RuneScape, each being updated regularly.

The costs with creating and maintaining these legacy realms are also not expensive at all, considering a team of hobbyists were able to do it. Blizzard would rather tell its subscribers "we know what you want" than give them the honest truth about their profit margin concerns.

Money talks, and its voice is getting louder.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (May 3 2016)

#246 May 3 2016

xterm

However, if Legion fails, the WoW subscription numbers are going to tank and this will raise a few questions about the direction of WoW and it may provide the incentive to create legacy realms.

MMOs tend to be on a decline, they peak at some point and only pickup on new releases especially when you consider this game being on top of the subscriber chart, breaking most records in sales on release and subs for quite a long time (it's highest being during WotLK iirc?). I wouldn't expect it to get any better in Legion, it'll peak at the start but declined fast towards mid-life.

The current ~10k subs to Nostalrius may have a reason to play Vanilla (It was fun back in the day, I agree) but that doesn't mean that if Legion fails, people will resort to Vanilla servers.

Jagex did so and now there are two entirely different games of RuneScape, each being updated regularly.

The costs with creating and maintaining these legacy realms are also not expensive at all, considering a team of hobbyists were able to do it.

I don't know Jagex well enough to make an informed opinion, but I know software and diverging software paths are quite difficult to maintain *especially* when you have 8 years worth of bugs and fixes that ought to be in that vanilla realm. While a team of hobbyist quite easily could settle for a working vanilla instance disregarding the entire fixes that went through these 8 years (9 assuming pre 1.1?), blizzard would not.

Blizzard would rather tell its subscribers "we know what you want" than give them the honest truth about their profit margin concerns.

Money talks, and its voice is getting louder.

They've made and still are making drastic mistakes in their design decisions, which is costing them a lot of subs. Legion has the very same flaw that WoD had, they've simply renamed it "Order Halls".

I hope Legion succeeds.

#247 May 4 2016

bermudapineapple

xterm wrote:

MMOs tend to be on a decline, they peak at some point and only pickup on new releases especially when you consider this game being on top of the subscriber chart, breaking most records in sales on release and subs for quite a long time (it's highest being during WotLK iirc?). I wouldn't expect it to get any better in Legion, it'll peak at the start but declined fast towards mid-life.

The current ~10k subs to Nostalrius may have a reason to play Vanilla (It was fun back in the day, I agree) but that doesn't mean that if Legion fails, people will resort to Vanilla servers.

I don't know Jagex well enough to make an informed opinion, but I know software and diverging software paths are quite difficult to maintain *especially* when you have 8 years worth of bugs and fixes that ought to be in that vanilla realm. While a team of hobbyist quite easily could settle for a working vanilla instance disregarding the entire fixes that went through these 8 years (9 assuming pre 1.1?), blizzard would not.

They've made and still are making drastic mistakes in their design decisions, which is costing them a lot of subs. Legion has the very same flaw that WoD had, they've simply renamed it "Order Halls".

I hope Legion succeeds.

I don't understand why a game's subscription numbers has to naturally decrease if the developer is providing incentive for subscribers to stay. What has happened at Blizzard is the complete opposite: not only are they not providing sufficient incentive, but they are actively alienating and destroying their user-base. Perhaps WoW reached a point where too many of its consumers were young, unintelligent teenagers (or perhaps this is a symptom of the progresson of our larger society, but that's another topic) that couldn't be bothered to think for themselves. Blizzard then realized that they wanted to cater to this new majority and so they did what they thought would best do so. And they failed. They made a bad decision.

One of the main reasons they are reluctant to create pristine realms is because they don't want to go back on their word and face embarrassment, especially considering how many expansions have been released after WOTLK.

There's no doubt it would not be easy to create these realms but Blizzard is a truly massive company with massive resources. There is no way this task would be too difficult or costly for them.

It's simply a matter of money and of sticking with the company's decisions and hedging their bets on Legion, for now.

#248 May 4 2016

xterm

tt400 wrote:

I don't understand why a game's subscription numbers has to naturally decrease if the developer is providing incentive for subscribers to stay. What has happened at Blizzard is the complete opposite: not only are they not providing sufficient incentive, but they are actively alienating and destroying their user-base. Perhaps WoW reached a point where too many of its consumers were young, unintelligent teenagers (or perhaps this is a symptom of the progresson of our larger society, but that's another topic) that couldn't be bothered to think for themselves. Blizzard then realized that they wanted to cater to this new majority and so they did what they thought would best do so. And they failed. They made a bad decision.

That's basically the gist of the matter; Blizzard took decisions in order to cater for the masses, all the while indirectly alienating the dedicated (not necessarily hardcore) player base. Take a look at the subscriber chart across expansions:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/506 … ubscribers

People have been bashing WoD to oblivion whereas the drops have been happening since Cataclysm. Cataclysm is the expansion when blizzard started caving in to demands on making the game friendlier, at which point it was all downhill. If we assume that blizzard has destroyed their game by alienating their player base, we can easily also take into account what would've happened if they had not catered for the none-raiding none-hardcore none-pro-pvp portion of their subscribers. So while we can easily blame the failure on dumbing the game down, I don't think we can be sure that it's the sole reason this happened.

I myself believe a major part of the drop was due to the story; Look at the chart again and see the climb in subscriptions during MoP ~900K whereas the climb in subscriptions during WoD was ~2.6M. I like to take that as simple evidence that people prefer the "Warcraft, Orcs and Humans" lore over anything else.

I seriously hope "Legion" will remedy this problem.

There's no doubt it would not be easy to create these realms but Blizzard is a truly massive company with massive resources. There is no way this task would be too difficult or costly for them.

You should consider that at the time when WoW was massively successful, blizzard only had to maintain 2 games. Now they have 6 and while they are of different Genre and different teams, I bet it's not helping the situation. Not to mention losing many of the original staff that made WoW successful.

#249 May 5 2016

The313

tt400 wrote:

-Quick reply to that is that NOW is the best time to try the game cause now you can buy it for a cheap price and for a new player that never played the game you have TONES of content to do (11 years worth of content) since every little thing the game would be new for a new player.

-About the legacy server discussion, I find other than the maintenance problem a problem that a vanella server(s) would not live long.
lets say they release there patches the same speed they did originally,
what will happen after 2 years when the expansion life ends??
they gonna keep the last patch for ever??
are they gonna release TBC then?? and the WoTLK and Cata and so on ??
so my point is if it's gonna be only vanella, you think blizzard will invest in (old) servers and in a maintenance teams for EU/US/NA for just a 2-3 years project??
and when a player go for the vanella server and be done with it, is he gonna come to the NEW expantion?? cause technically they would need to start all over again and there won't be any char progression feel for there Main char they played 2-3 years on.

-I am with the idea that Blizzard should just see what ppl enjoyed in vanella/TBC and try to implement it in there new stuff and ofc keep supporting the expansion and not abandon it half way throw.
I have high hopes for Legion, cause from what I see is that they are taking a lot of steps in the right direction.
Last, about the order halls, ppl on the alfa that don't just make rage vids for more money are saying that you only need to go there for 5 min every couple of days, on top of it's not a single player instance, this is nothing like the garrison.

#250 May 6 2016

Totoro

Yeah seriously if there order halls are the same as garrisons I'm going to rage at them.
Once thing I really dislike is the fact that they gave all classes the same artifact. I play a Paladin, if there was an Ashbringer, I would want to earn in and not just get it because i'm a special snowflake.

Board footer