LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 October 21 2009

J4D

Re: Computers Faster Only for 75 More Years

smalla mitl man2oosht il jebneh    the size of each wafer is huge !!!

#27 October 21 2009

nourberro

well the PS3 has seven cores! yeah i guess thats why the PS3 only millions huh?

#28 January 29 2010

kareem_nasser

nourberro wrote:

well the PS3 has seven cores! yeah i guess thats why the PS3 only millions huh?

But it has 6 SPE for gaming code and 1 PPE in control of the all SPUs

#29 January 29 2010

J4D

Only good for gaming the cpu's of the PS3 are RISC not CISC!

<admin edit: Jad, no need for all-caps and #FF0000 to be heard. Review the writing guidelines>

#30 January 29 2010

arithma

don't confuse parallel throughput with serial throughput. I can make a billion ghz pc by putting a billion cpu's of 1GHz in parallel? Hardly.
Sequential computation is king. Though it's limited with heat. That's the only reason why we go in parallel. Two CPU's will always be slower than a single CPU twice their speed - synchronization and waiting for locks takes time.
Anyway, I lost the links but the web is full of talk about 80GHz diamond based CPUs. Diamond being synthesized for the cheap (tell your moms to sell them now).

#31 January 29 2010

Georges

No offense guys, but who knows what type of computation we will be doing in the next 5, 10 [let me say 20] years...
What about the next 75 years ?

No one can predict even for the next 10 years in technology...

#32 January 29 2010

rolf

It is my estimation that 90% of the CPU capacity is swallowed by inefficient code...

#33 January 29 2010

arithma

Yorgi wrote:

No offense guys, but who knows what type of computation we will be doing in the next 5, 10 [let me say 20] years...
What about the next 75 years ?

No one can predict even for the next 10 years in technology...

So we don't speculate? Anticipation is always useful.

#34 January 29 2010

Georges

My futuristic look to the world is humans living in isolation and interacting through surrogate robots ( Ahh yes. Just like Surrogates [the movie].... though i hate that ), or some mind controlled machines... something WAY Way beyond our expectations.

Unless we Died in 2012...

#35 January 29 2010

GN90

Yorgi wrote:

My futuristic look to the world is humans living in isolation and interacting through surrogate robots ( Ahh yes. Just like Surrogates [the movie].... though i hate that ), or some mind controlled machines... something WAY Way beyond our expectations.

Unless we Died in 2012...

didn't we say the same thing when the cell phone appears ? didn't people say no one will talk to each other face to face again ? lol your talk here remind me of that.

you can't know what will happen for sure cause go back 10 years, no one expected stuff to advance so fast; the internet booming (Web 2.0) that started with Napster was not expected.  So you don't know what will a dorm genuis come up with in the next 10 years and that will give idea for new creations we did not think about now.
and in the same time while we talk about how fast tech moves, i think we are moving slower than expected cause if you go back to the 80's they said they will be flying cars by the year 2000 and this did not happen so maybe we expect great things that we soon realize it is impossible it or we shift the focus of our development.

Now its all about the internet and web and cloud computing but who knows what will happen and make stuff go into another direction

#36 January 29 2010

Georges

I think we are moving slower than expected cause if you go back to the 80's they said they will be flying cars by the year 2000 and this did not happen so maybe we expect great things that we soon realize it is impossible or we shift the focus of our development.

We have the technology to build "Flying Cars"... But Companies don't want to do that for the moment ? After all, everything is plausible nowadays.

As an example... The Lockheed SR-71 is an advanced, long range, Mach 3 strategic reconnaissance aircraft developed by Lockheed in the mid 50's, put in service from 1964 to 1998.

You might also take a look at this example :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … Rose-4.jpg

The technology is here. WE don't want to use it.

#37 January 30 2010

GN90

um i know this exists i saw it on national geographic channel and plus i did say that there are stuff we abandon.

and this did not happen so maybe we expect great things that we soon realize it is impossible or we shift the focus of our development.

Board footer