LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 March 1 2009

battikh

Re: The BarCamp LiveFeed! (barcamp-lebanon)

and why so few pics of the geekettes?

#27 March 1 2009

Padre

i think it is *safe* to assume that crazy has some "tendencies"  ;)

#28 March 1 2009

crazy

The geekette, hum.. they were 8-10 I guess at first, then 1 came and left, another one also came and left. So in total I think not more than 15  (that if I forgot someone...)

We were counting on mir to come with 10-15 girls... but she got stuck in the mountains

#29 March 1 2009

entropy

tich wrote:

haha it didn't turn out to be a hacking session... The guy had a good idea, which is to hold regular fate-to-face programming competitions (holding homemade bot contests...) if anyone is interested, his email is raja.baz (a/t) gmail.com . i think he's going to come and ask for volunteers here
anyways it just ended, and i have to start MY session, the network security one :)
i'll be back for more

Hey there, I am that guy :)
Just for the sake of clarification, the email is raja.baz (a/t) lau.edu.lb raja.baz@gmail.com was already taken when I got there >_<

#30 March 1 2009

Padre

ncie to see you in here
what exactly did u mean by bot contest
clarify it and i think u got urself a few "players"

anyone interested in a CTF on the next barcamp ?  (i know it's a bit out of the topic, but still nice to do )

#31 March 1 2009

tich

woops sorry entropy :)guess i was in a hurry to start my session  anyways, welcome to the forums, have fun :)
oh and mir, yes i AM the guy with the funny hair...got anything against that?
i love my hair
*goes off to watch Hair, the movie*

#32 March 1 2009

entropy

Padre, check out the notes: http://www.barcamp.org/OpenSesame-BarCa … ateRajaBaz
Tich, feel free to edit those, you were there as well.

By bot contest I meant writing AIs to play a certain game and pitting them together in a tournament. I got this idea from a friend who's studying at Mc.Gill and is currently working on this project: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/%7Ejpineau/comp … rough.html

#33 March 1 2009

mir

entropey : welcome to the forum as well

lol tich :rolleyes:
nothing against the hair :cool:

and it is safe to assume that battikh is the neswanjeh in here
I think like 80 person were registered to the event, what was the final number of the ppl who attended ?

#34 March 1 2009

entropy

I'd  say 40 people attended, but I may have my estimates way off

#35 March 2 2009

Padre

yeah great
let's start with it (with the little time on my hands, but still, it's a nice idea )

of course, we can select another game than this one, smth more "interesting" and other than chess
open a thread about it, games types, interfacing to the server, etc etc

Last edited by Padre (March 2 2009)

#36 March 2 2009

samer
Admin

entropy wrote:

I'd  say 40 people attended, but I may have my estimates way off

According to the press release "over 65 people came". :)

#37 March 2 2009

mir

shirts ?

#38 March 2 2009

crazy

Yes, you can see some people wearing them in the pictures. I ll shoot mine and put it here if you want.

#39 March 2 2009

mir

oh would be nice if u do :)
you traitors didn't get me one ?
I will have to stalk the streets of beirut at night looking on the manshar of gasil for open source shirts.. oh and yes i will steal them all back ... w hein !

#40 March 2 2009

samer
Admin

We've been mentioned on Donatella della Ratta's blog MediaOriente. Dona is the Arab World Media and Development Manager at Creative Commons

And lots of Lebanese Geeks that have kindly uploaded nice pics on Flickr! http://mediaoriente.com/2009/03/01/beir … hats-next/

Thanks to Crazy (Chris M) for the lovely photos :)

#41 March 3 2009

entropy

Padre wrote:

yeah great
let's start with it (with the little time on my hands, but still, it's a nice idea )

of course, we can select another game than this one, smth more "interesting" and other than chess
open a thread about it, games types, interfacing to the server, etc etc

Actually, that game is quite fun. I played a couple of games against a friend the other day. Matches are really quick(5-10min) and it requires quite a bit of thought to be able to win. Of course, not as much as chess(which I love) but for something quick(not 2hrs) breakthrough is really nice.

#42 March 3 2009

xterm

My first impression (quick glance) on the game is that its quite easy to implement an almost unbeatable bot for it. However, after i've read the "5 second" rule, i changed my mind.

It would be very interesting, squeezing in as many look-ahead moves as possible.

Optimization at its best!

Who need 2x2!
2<<1 for the win!

Good luck with your bots.

Board footer