LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 6 2008

Halo

Latency Problems... Sorry To Be Such A Bugger!

Got some problems, I just want to make some things clear. I was getting latencies around 200 ms to google.com at around 4:00 today, now at 9:30, they've become 500 ms. Is this because it's peak time? Because in the traceroute, normally it passes through something with seabone.net in its name, now it's passing through stuff with London and Amsterdam, and it's taking longer. Is this only because it's peak time, or is this a change in backbone? (I'm on VISP)

#2 February 6 2008

darkstar

Re: Latency Problems... Sorry To Be Such A Bugger!

Hi there,
Whose your isp, I am planning to subscribe to DSL but I am afraid of the high latencies.

You might want to give that another test later on.

I am not sure but it might be affected by the fiber backbone that has been damaged in egypt.

#3 February 7 2008

Halo

I have VISP, and I'm using its free dial-up.

I don't think it has anything to with with Egypt, doesn't seabone have to do something with Italy?

Right now, at 7:00 in the morning, I'm still getting the same latencies :( Why?

#4 February 7 2008

Tigerheart.Hackers

Halo dude, it does have to do with the Egypt issue. I was down at VISP this morning. They had zero connection. They're fixing it though. Ninja.

#5 February 8 2008

WizaRd

Latency through DSL ?

Get Wise or Sodetel :) Both playable under 300ms ALL DAY LONG (for 512K and above) - tested for 2 weeks and confirmed.

#6 February 9 2008

Halo

Tigerheart, you got VISP wireless? What latencies are you getting to google.com?

BTW, it's okay now, I"m getting latencies of 200 ms (with dial-up).

Flyingwizard, you should get VISP, they have a good backbone connection, it takes around 80 ms to reach America, if only we could get something like ADSL because the ADSL modem doesn't add to much time to the latency, but wireless and dial-up (especially dial-up) do. If VISP has ADSL for home users, we would probably be getting latencies of like 90 ms to the US :) Which, BTW, is pretty cool ;)

VISP is connected through seabone, right? I've been waiting for almost 2 months now for VISP to come and install the wireless on my building, I don't know why I'm still waiting because they said they have a base station in our area... I called today, no one was there, I called multiple times on other days, they say they'll call back or they'll reply in one week and they even ask where we live and what our name is and all that,but they haven't come yet...

#7 February 10 2008

WizaRd

See how much latency you have with an online game and Teamspeak/Ventrilo open and talking on it.

#8 February 10 2008

Halo

Well, I don't speak too much, but when I do, everyone hears me fine, even during games, but if I talk too much in a game, I start to lag a bit, but that's a bandwith issue (since I have 33.6 kbps dial-up right now)

I know VISP has a really good backbone, takes like 80 ms to get to google.com. Just the amount of time it takes to get to the VISP base station is all to really worry about.

#9 February 11 2008

WizaRd

Well if I remember correctly, 2 years ago VISP were the only ones bragging about offering DSL in lebanon (you can check the forums) and what I do not understand is why DSL hasnt made it to their front page yet.

I know you can go to their services then choose DSL but its a really old page there with useless information.

So yea, it would be good to see some update and/or official responses concerning this. I am not sure about the 80ms to North America since im pretty sure it needs about the same from Europe to USA alone.

Google.com cannot be used as a reference for pinging "continents", they have many servers around the world and it just redirects you to the nearest one.

Anyway I wish you luck :) and ofc when you get DSL if they are offering it, please do post some feedback

#10 February 11 2008

Halo

What website should I use to test the latency to the U.S.? I've tried bbc.co.uk, got around 200 ms latency (with dial-up, 120 ms from the modem, 80 ms from VISP).

I don't think I'll be able to get DSL, just the wireless, yes, you're right, they haven't really updated the ADSL page and everything, but I'm pretty sure they do have better latencies than other ISPs since they are connected through seabone. You can read about seabone here-
http://www.ti-sparkle.it/our_services/i … eabone.htm

Anyway, I have IDM dial-up and VISP dial-up, both tested with the same modem, same speeds, and same time, and IDM had latencies of 500 ms while VISP has a latency of 200 ms.

Board footer