LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 16 2004

samer
Admin

Moving to Linux? Try Starting Small

Red Hat surprised me with the range of choices and the flexibility of the system. It was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Windows. No longer did I feel at the mercy of a complex software system completely out of my control. Rather, I chose exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it to work and the installer customised the package to reflect my needs and wishes...

full story

great article!

#2 November 16 2004

Charly

Re: Moving to Linux? Try Starting Small

well yea, every1 advices to start off with Red Hat if u're a new linux user .... i started off with fedora core 2, which is kind of "red hat 10" in other words, as advised by a linux pro "Basel Ghsoun" min wajjehlo ta7iyyeh  although it's not the easiest distro!!

#3 November 27 2004

l33thium

Caldera or Mandrake are the easiet every first timer user should try them  or pass by them to get used to *nix

#4 November 29 2004

Charly

caldera is no more, and the company who created it (SCO) is now against linux and is trying to sue it! and mandrake is very buggy and slow :}

#5 December 1 2004

rohalabi

what the !@#!@$ are you still doing with linux......don't mess with an OS if it dosen't have software support for it...........just don't use it............keep it in a lock drawer until it does have support .......trust me on this.............microsoft is trying its best not to be compatible with anyone....trust me i have the experience.....ask charly!

#6 December 1 2004

samer
Admin

in my opinion,  if you want a secure os, mostly for networking then go with linux. Mac Os X for web and graphic design.

#7 December 1 2004

Charly

yea, i recently had a conflict on my system between FC2 and windows, the thing that made me simply go CRAZY, losing my ALL my files.....but again, thx to Basel and Rony, they helped me out figuring the problem...Basel by helping me retrieving 90% of my files back using Knoppix, and Rony by making me delete FC2 from my system :twisted: lol...
anyways, im not against linux, i really like to get to know it more, but of course, not to let it steal all my files again :( i'll simply be sad again

#8 December 22 2004

Ragnar78

what the !@#!@$ are you still doing with linux......don't mess with an OS if it dosen't have software support for it...........just don't use it............keep it in a lock drawer until it does have support .......trust me on this.............microsoft is trying its best not to be compatible with anyone....trust me i have the experience.....ask charly!

Are you serious?
tell me what software you can't find for any linux distro

#9 December 26 2004

Ozzi

lol, rohalabi come on everything being done today are targetting all 3 major OS even macintosh! and it is know the great compatibility and portability between Microsoft and Unix, there are still some small problems, but we're getting there!

#10 February 22 2005

mezin

i started off with SuSE is that good ?

#11 April 6 2005

rolf

i started off with SuSE is that good ?

You'll have to decide

#12 April 7 2005

mahdoum

I started by downloading 2 linux os's that are bootable from a cd (ie they can be run from the cd) I guess for me it's one of the safest as I don't have to install anything

#13 April 8 2005

Charly

one of them is knoppix right?

#14 April 8 2005

mahdoum

yup knoppix and mepis

#15 April 8 2005

samer
Admin

i'm going to test up Linspire (formley known as Lindows) - i got my copy using the trick Ragnar78 posted:
Download linspire for free

#16 May 10 2005

darkstar

I am gonna start with fedora core 3!

But i am still worried about partitioning since i already have my win xp and have some backup which i am afraid of losing.
currently i am doing alot of reading on how to partition and stuff , if anyone can also add in some more info that would be helpful

#17 May 10 2005

rolf

Ahh yes, I know the partition - bootsector - MBR, etc... stuff really sucks.
I avoid this stuff like hell.
Although I'd have to say linux usually handles installations well on a multipartition system.

#18 May 10 2005

rolf

Well maybe I can bless you with my extensive experience (hinhinhin)

I use "partition magic" to resize partitions. Get the latest (illegal) version, because version 7.0 does not handle well XP partitions. And backup your crucial data, this program has already messed up my disks more than once.

I use "ranish boot manager" (free) to clone partitions
and disks mainly. You can also use it to format, delete, add partitions, fix the MBR (but not comlpex things such as resize, move...). It holds on a bootable floppy.

If you mess up your disk and dont see any partition anymore, dont panic, you can use "rstudio" to retrieve your data, even after a format (you'll need another PC or another hard disk though, to run windows and rstudio on it).

#19 May 10 2005

rolf

If you have enough free space on your disk, you can reduce the size of your XP partition using partition magic (defragment before doing that), then create a linux partition in the unpartitioned space that you just created (just run fedora installer and tell him to install in that unpartitioned space).

#20 May 10 2005

mahdoum

lol rolf i've noticed that you always post like 2 different posts after each other  how come?

#21 May 10 2005

rolf

weird huh?

#22 May 10 2005

rolf

Weird indeed. Happens sometimes. (ok this time I did it on purpose :) )

I think it's because read again after posting and realize that I didn't answer the question completely or clearly. I tend to repeat, double-check, redo lots of things in life.

And as you can see I am still editing my post...

#23 May 10 2005

mahdoum

lol

#24 May 11 2005

darkstar

Hey thanks rolf for the info and stuff , but i already got my partitions ready i got a 120 gb hdd partitioned in to c,d,e,f . C,D,E are gonna be for win xp and F is gonna be for fedora core . But my problem is that i am afraid to do some mistake while partitioning in linux( using disk druid) and ruine my data!

Board footer