LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 14 2005

Parabola

FireTune - The Firefox tuner

What does FireTune do?

According to your specific computer speed and internet connection speed, FireTune will optimize several internal settings of Firefox for better performance. FireTune does NOT modify the Firefox executable, or any other Firefox binary file. Everything can be undone easily provided you saved your original profile configuration file with FireTune's profile backup feature before.

In most of all cases you'll notice an improved browsing speed after optimizing Firefox with FireTune.

Link: http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

#2 April 14 2005

Parabola

Re: FireTune - The Firefox tuner

I measured the time to load http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ without using it, I got a time of 36 seconds. After, tuning Firefox with it I got a time of 23 seconds.

Impressing, eh?

#3 April 14 2005

mahdoum

yeah, but too mad I don't use firefox =P still use IE and awaiting IE 7

#4 April 14 2005

samer
Admin

eah, but too mad I don't use firefox =P still use IE and awaiting IE 7

uh-oh! i suggest you get it right away!

#5 April 15 2005

mahdoum

I did and then I got back to IE lol, I tried all of them even opera and maxtor for IE.

I just like the simplicity of IE and I guess i got used to it

#6 April 15 2005

samer
Admin

simplicity ? wait till you get infected with those annoying spywares ! and firefox is as simple as IE, its just more secure and is less targeted by advertisers and virus coders!

#7 April 15 2005

mahdoum

lol spywares don't exist on my pc I make sure they don't becuase of the programs i have + like i said i'm lookin forward to ie7

#8 April 15 2005

Parabola

FireFox is a great FREE powerful browser.

Samer did you try FireTune?

#9 April 15 2005

samer
Admin

i suggest you read the other firefox topics.
you won't regret the switch ;)

#10 April 15 2005

mahdoum

i tried it and didn't like it, regardless of what people say =P my opinion still rules lol

#11 April 18 2005

Charly

i made the switch abt 2 months ago, and i dont regret it ;) i least i dont get those annoying security warnings when im accessing some sites, or some annoying popups  while surfin the net

#12 April 20 2005

rolf

I have nothing against IE, but it has the nasty habit of behaving erratically when I open more than say 15 windows (I always do that! - I know, I'm sick).
Plus the development on IE seems to be frozen. They only fix stuff, and add a stupid feature every year or so.
Not mentionning all the spyware that gets stuck to IE.

For the spyware, I advise you to check microsoft anti-spyware, it's great. (download it without registering your PC if you dont have an original windows install)

#13 April 20 2005

rolf

Well they are some disadvantages to firefox, though, mostly some menu effects do not look as pretty as in IE, and some rare pages lack functionnality. It is not the fault of firefox but that of the page developper who used non-standard IE features in his page.

#14 April 20 2005

samer
Admin

mostly some menu effects do not look as pretty as in IE

you could download themes for firefox.

#15 April 20 2005

mahdoum

I'll always stick with IE becuase it is so simple and IE 7 is intended to be a recode of the browser including new security features, tabbed browsing and other details.

#16 April 25 2005

darkstar

I like/dislike IE , i think its still a gr8 browser although there are numerous alternatives , as long as IE is not hijacked I still continue to use it , and the only feature i miss in IE is the tabbed browsing which is coming in IE7 and a pop up blocker already exists with IE !!

Board footer