LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 2 2004

samer
Admin

Pi to one MILLION decimal places

it's about time that we post some geeky stuff

http://3.141592653589793238462643383279 … 44592.com/

Warning: the page is HUGE.

#2 October 2 2004

Charly

Re: Pi to one MILLION decimal places

hahahahaha looooooool nice one  but one suggestion, cant u just round it? 3.14  so now we REALLY know that Pi is infinite

#3 October 2 2004

waleed

hehehe gEeKy...the page is still loading...does it ever stop ?

#4 October 2 2004

Charly

yea it stops at some point  after a long time :lol:

#5 October 2 2004

samer
Admin

one MILLION decimal places

this is where it stops.

#6 October 2 2004

Charly

well at least we know the page will stop :lol:

#7 October 3 2004

Laurent

Check This Out :
Here is result of your request:
DNS error, can't resolve: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.com
Probably the requested site doesn't answer or it timed out. Check the address or try again.

Well, Al Least The Page Didn't Take A Long Time To Load, So I Didn't Have To Wait

#8 October 3 2004

ike

I used to know a site showing the numbers of pi after the decimal, but I don't remember if it reached 1,000,000
bas kam so2al ba3ed: shou sar fi li katabon  w ma ghallat bi shi ra2em ? w reji3 3emil check up 3layon abel ma ya3mil upload

#9 October 3 2004

samer
Admin

man, it's computer generated  for sure.

#10 October 3 2004

JorJ

Does Anyone Knows What Is Pi?
And How To Calculate It?

#11 October 3 2004

Charly

i just know these things (studied in skool ) :
perimeter of a cirlce = 2piR
area of a cirlce = piR^2
other than that dont ask me

#12 October 3 2004

samer
Admin

I think it's the perimeter of a circle divided by the diameter

pCirlce / dCercle

not sure though.

#13 October 4 2004

aymanc

I think it's the perimeter of a circle divided by the diameter

pCirlce / dCercle

not sure though.

there's a recursive function that does it ..

basic programming thing.

#14 October 4 2004

KingRhye

Samer your definition is correct, you can also say it's the area of a circle of radius 1. JorJ, check out http://students.bath.ac.uk/ma3mju/calc.html. AyMaN hook us up with this recursive function in here, I'd like to take a look at it and discuss it in depth.

#15 October 4 2004

aymanc

PI = limit as n->infinity of n(sin(180-(2(180(n-2)/2n))))/2(sin((180(n-2))/2n))

this is calculated .. following .. a procedure .. in which we get the perimetre of a polygon of n sides .. in comparison to the diagonal/2

if this polygon had infinite sides .. then the thing would be a circle .. and the diagonal would be the diametre of the circle ..

so .. as long as we keep increasing n .. PI gets more accurate. .  .. but it's one theorem of calculating PI)

and actually .. it's dumb to think .. that pi is the perimetre of a circle in relation to it's radius or so .. cuz u calculate the perimetre of the circle using pi ..

it's said how they do it .. in that link KingRhye posted..

been a long time ..  but .. the one they use in computers / calculators .. is actually .. the sum thing (Gregory and Leibniz's Method) in that link

#16 October 4 2004

samer
Admin

PI = limit as n->infinity of n(sin(180-(2(180(n-2)/2n))))/2(sin((180(n-2))/2n))

ya that 

#17 October 4 2004

KingRhye

AyMaN I thought you were talking about a recursive C function, cos I know how it's done in maths, I don't need formulas or even explanations, but I'm curious on how you could implement it in the "basic programming thing" you mentioned, as I intended to prove it's not so basic to calculate pi to the millionth decimal as you think it is, taking into consideration the restrictions on floating point decimals etc etc.. shall I elaborate or do you know what I'm aiming at ?

and actually .. it's dumb to think .. that pi is the perimetre of a circle in relation to it's radius or so .. cuz u calculate the perimetre of the circle using pi ..

You're wrong, pi was first introduced and calculated as a ratio between the perimeter and radius, not the opposite. Just ask yourself, where did the number pi come from in the beginning ? ;)

#18 October 4 2004

JorJ

Thanks For The Info. Guys.

#19 October 4 2004

aymanc

AyMaN I thought you were talking about a recursive C function, cos I know how it's done in maths, I don't need formulas or even explanations, but I'm curious on how you could implement it in the "basic programming thing" you mentioned, as I intended to prove it's not so basic to calculate pi to the millionth decimal as you think it is, taking into consideration the restrictions on floating point decimals etc etc.. shall I elaborate or do you know what I'm aiming at ?

You're wrong, pi was first introduced and calculated as a ratio between the perimeter and radius, not the opposite. Just ask yourself, where did the number pi come from in the beginning ? ;)

recursion starts with math .. and as i said .. they used the sum formula .. that's a recursive function in math ..

which is simply implemented in C .. doesn't even need explanation .. u just need the formula..

eh .. it was calculated (like 4000 years ago) .. by putting a string on the perimetre of the circle and relatively to it's radius .. ya3neh .. if u were that dumb .. be my guest .. calculate it this way .. ya3neh .. get a rope .. and mesure the perimetre of the circle .. (ya3neh caveman methods.) ..
and if u know any other way of calculating the perimtre of a circle .. please tell me..

this is a chronology of PI

http://rpimath.topcities.com/irrationals/pi.html

and for the recursive C function .. here u go .. there's an explanation of a common formula..  in this link..
http://rpimath.topcities.com/Pi/doug05.html

and when i said "basic programming" ..  i ment .. that they teach u that when u start learning recursion in C ..  and u take it first in calculus. . taylor series .. i think ..  and u "apply" it in C.

#20 October 5 2004

KingRhye

recursion starts with math .. and as i said .. they used the sum formula .. that's a recursive function in math ..

which is simply implemented in C .. doesn't even need explanation .. u just need the formula..

eh .. it was calculated (like 4000 years ago) .. by putting a string on the perimetre of the circle and relatively to it's radius .. ya3neh .. if u were that dumb .. be my guest .. calculate it this way .. ya3neh .. get a rope .. and mesure the perimetre of the circle .. (ya3neh caveman methods.) ..
and if u know any other way of calculating the perimtre of a circle .. please tell me..

this is a chronology of PI

http://rpimath.topcities.com/irrationals/pi.html

and for the recursive C function .. here u go .. there's an explanation of a common formula..  in this link..
http://rpimath.topcities.com/Pi/doug05.html

and when i said "basic programming" ..  i ment .. that they teach u that when u start learning recursion in C ..  and u take it first in calculus. . taylor series .. i think ..  and u "apply" it in C.

Okay first things first, here's the definition of pi quoted from the Webster's dictionary:

a- the symbol pi denoting the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter
b- the ratio itself: a transcendental number having a value to eight decimal places of 3.14159265

You missed the point, pi didn't drop from the skies, it was defined as this ratio.
Now for the rest of what you said, a sum (infinite in this case) isn't a recursion, there's a huge difference. Anyway that's not the issue here, you also missed my second point. I checked out the methods you linked me to, and naturally I must say they stand correct, mathematically, no one can refute that, but my point is, when you're computing in C or any other language, you're using variables of a certain type, double or long double or whatever, and these variables are programmatically bounded by a certain precision, for instance, say you wanna define the simple ratio 1/3, we all know it's 0.3333... and there you've got an infinite sequence of 3's, so when representing this ratio in a variable, you can't define 1/3 infinitly, you're bounded by the precision of the type of variable you use, and that precision is finite, which introduces an error in your calculations if you're intending to calculate to a million decimals and more, and therefore, your precision is bounded by an epsilon limit. For instance, the last link you provided which illustrates the Gauss-Legendre Method algorithm uses the sqrt function, now suppose the algorithm encountered sqrt(2), which it did, then stores it in a variable, it's normal to expect a rounded value of sqrt(2) stored, not the whole transcending square root value of 2. So to obtain the very high precision needed, you have to use special libraries that provide such precision, for example the apfloat library.
I hope that by now you got my point, I tried to be as clear as I could. Nowadays there are fast methods of iteration to calculate pi, if you like you can search the internet and post them here. Good hunting.

#21 October 5 2004

mezin

ayman ... shu el fare2 if you got pi to be 3.14 or 3.14whatver those numbers were ?

so cavemen methods rule

#22 October 5 2004

aymanc

ayman ... shu el fare2 if you got pi to be 3.14 or 3.14whatver those numbers were ?

so cavemen methods rule

haha

#23 October 5 2004

samer
Admin

so cavemen methods rule

the difference is negligeable when you are making normal calcules, but i don't think that the NASA will program their stuff using PI = 3.14 but PI = 3.14whatever.

got the point ;) ?

#24 October 5 2004

KingRhye

LOL good point Samer.. Imagine USA nuking a "sister country" and hitting Lebanon by mistake cos they estimated pi to 3.14 

#25 October 5 2004

samer
Admin

hehe ...

Board footer