LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 20 2004

Virgin Killer

AntiVirus...

I sometimes feel Norton Antivirus is useless in front of lots of worms and bugs...anno you always get infected...it's true by new worms but still it shouldn't happen...it's an Antivirus after all...
Is there any better of Norton or it's the besT?

#2 October 15 2004

samer
Admin

Re: AntiVirus...

I don't think that Norton is the best anti-virus, despite the fact that Norton's virus definitions are updated almost every 3 days, which is very good - but the thing is, you can't just leave the anti-virus to do everything, you'll have to update regularly (check for update everyday if possible) and not to forget that you'll also have to use your brain by not opening suspicious files, another security tip I'll give you is to enable the viewing of the files extensions, because some clever virus writers sends you files like: malcious.txt.exe or pic.jpg.pif.

so, in conclusion, there is no "perfect anti-virus", but you can protect your self against viruses by respecting some security "gold rules", never open a suspicious file, e-mail or whatsoever - never open files with pif or bat extensions, be carefully when you open *.exe s ...

Have a nice day :)
PS: sorry for the late reply, didn't notice your post earlier ;)

#3 October 16 2004

JorJ

Try using Kaspersky.

#4 October 16 2004

samer
Admin

Norton is just fine, all you have to do is to update and to use your brain .. though 2005 is a little heavy if you don't have lots of RAMs ...

#5 November 5 2004

ike

256 on a laptop are enough for N2005?

#6 November 5 2004

samer
Admin

well yes, I think so .. though I recommend you to install a liter Anti Virus. BitDefender maybe ?

#7 November 6 2004

Charly

i am using NAV2005 and i have 320 mb of ram....works perfectly

#8 May 26 2005

trdknight

I'd recommend you to use AVG, anyway, just running a single AV will not always get the wormstrojansviruses on your machine, head over to http://housecall.trendmicro.com and do an online, free, full system scan and be sure and have the 'Auto Clean' checked. Also make sure youve visited Windows Update and applied all security patches. Regarding spywares etc. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill, for more information regarding HJT point your browser to http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm and rtfm. Also make sure to update those programs before using. You can log your results generated by HJT and post'em anywhere on this forum and I'll be happy to guide you step by step.

#9 May 27 2005

rolf

Norton SYmantec is fine IMO, but it doesnt catch spyware. You need another program for that.
I use Symantec antivirus corporate edition + microsoft antispyware
I used to have lavasoft ad-aware as antispyware before.

Why symantec antivirus corporate edition? Light memory requirements, no virus definition subsription (update when you want), neat and discrete, centrally managed (very useful for more than 10 PCs, you can update all av clients from the server, lock options so that users dont change them, get alerted when a client detects a virus, etc...).

#10 May 27 2005

mahdoum

I got rid of NAV 2005 and downloaded Kaspersky I don't regret it one bit, it uses less system memory and has detected viruses that NAV didn't detect.

#11 May 28 2005

karim soubra

same here

#12 May 28 2005

Parabola

I am downloading Kaspersky right now. I'll tell you what I think about it when I start using it.

#13 May 28 2005

Cyril

what do u think of ZoneLab ?

#14 May 28 2005

Ragnar78

Excellent Firewall (if you know how to configure it)...worse than Kaspersky as antivirus

Board footer