LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 July 6 2023

rolf

Re: Old users of lebgeeks where are you currently ?

I used to come here daily. I've grown a bit tired of seeing the same questions asked again, especially questions which are not directly related to tech (where do if find this or that, best shop in lebanon, how do i find a job).

My interest in tech also dwindled a bit and my attention was diverted by other platforms (mainly reddit) and I've put more time and energy in photography activities or sometimes exploring the city or the country - yet most of all daily life and chores.

Anyway here I am. About what happened in my life well it's a bit of a struggle in great part a consequence of the crime(s?) that happened in Lebanon at the national level ie the deliberate destruction of economy and living conditions.

In other part due to my personal lack of focus and decisions.

Once you get a bit involved and step out of your bubble in Lebanon it's hard to leave especially at an older age. We have a beautiful soulful country in Lebanon and I mean all of it, beyond Mar Mkhayel, Batroun, the Cedars and whatever other "politically correct" destinations people often try to promote as being Lebanon.

One that is killed a little again and again on a daily basis - economic crime, littering and cutting trees, poisoning the environment, oppressing the poor, sabotaging the economy, corruption, etc.

BTW the cat in my avatar was a very special cat, very vocal, smart and independent. He died about last year. Dark times.

Guitaret wrote:

I registered to this forum in 2012, do I qualify as an "old" member?

Yes

Last edited by rolf (July 6 2023)

#27 July 7 2023

Salloum

rolf wrote:

Once you get a bit involved and step out of your bubble in Lebanon it's hard to leave especially at an older age. We have a beautiful soulful country in Lebanon and I mean all of it, beyond Mar Mkhayel, Batroun, the Cedars and whatever other "politically correct" destinations people often try to promote as being Lebanon.

Nicely put. I agree with you completely. I have been out of Lebanon for 4 years now and I do miss it every day. There is something mystical about our country, because at face value, it sounds completely insane to want to be living there with the current situation. How I wish things could be different.

#28 July 7 2023

potato

rolf wrote:

I used to come here daily. I've grown a bit tired of seeing the same questions asked again, especially questions which are not directly related to tech (where do if find this or that, best shop in lebanon, how do i find a job).

My interest in tech also dwindled a bit and my attention was diverted by other platforms (mainly reddit) and I've put more time and energy in photography activities or sometimes exploring the city or the country - yet most of all daily life and chores.

Anyway here I am. About what happened in my life well it's a bit of a struggle in great part a consequence of the crime(s?) that happened in Lebanon at the national level ie the deliberate destruction of economy and living conditions.

In other part due to my personal lack of focus and decisions.

One that is killed a little again and again on a daily basis - economic crime, littering and cutting trees, poisoning the environment, oppressing the poor, sabotaging the economy, corruption, etc.

BTW the cat in my avatar was a very special cat, very vocal, smart and independent. He died about last year. Dark times.

Guitaret wrote:

I registered to this forum in 2012, do I qualify as an "old" member?

Yes

Sorry to hear that i get your point we all miss the old good times. But still good times is ahead of us at least thats what i believe. We should make way for the new generation. Our community or lets say our society is malfunctioning. If we dont fix it no one will.

#29 July 9 2023

AvoK95

Working at MEIT

focusing on components and presales

got more into cars, still in Lebanon

#30 July 22 2023

Azachariou

I'm gonna say 2014 qualifies as old
Tried to stay as long as possible, but around end of 2021 it became almost impossible to handle my international projects with all the connection and electrical issues. Hopped on a plane to france and been there ever since.

Still working mainly in 3D animation, but as I said all these years ago, looking to expand my skillset, I now work on interactive webgl experiences.

hope you're all doing well

#31 July 31 2023

nosense

Still in lebanon, getting by and hoping for a better future.

Glad to see the familiar names again, hope you're all doing well.

#32 August 8 2023

LifeEngineer

I could be old in here being registered back in 2012 :)

Like rolf, I checked this website multiple times a day. Seeing a bunch of similarly-minded people in a country where chaos seems to be the rule was fascinating.

I'm still at Alfa just like I was in 2012. That's probably bad and I know it, but yeah as many have eluded to, it gets harder to leave somewhere the more you spend time in and get more into your comfort zone.

Life has been very harsh to us, me and my wife. That's something I don't say to people I know, but it gets much easier to say in here where I feel in incognito mode lol. We ended up with 2 autistic kids and life feels like hell. Everything we hoped for, having kids like regular people you know, looking forward to their endeavors, helping them with their maths or physics homework, enrolling them in some activities like football, growing up and being independent etc..and now all we hope for is hearing any word from my 10y old boy... it hurts a lot and always fighting with all the negative (including suicidal obviously) thoughts and depression just thinking that if I and my wife die our kids probably can't make a day without us...

Anyways that's probably not what the OP wanted to know lol, so yeah still here and with all of the mentioned above, I reached a point where I really don't give a fuck about anything meaning being here or abroad won't change our lives much... That's life and it's not fair. Some people are meant for happiness and they deserve every bit of it, while others are meant for struggle and pain, and little they can do about it.

It was nice seeing some old familiar names in here :)

#33 September 30 2023

elchebib

Registered since 2009

Used to be very active until my last post in 2017. Left Lebanon in 2014 to the US to continue studies and landed a job there. Hard being away from family and have my own to provide for and live a decent living. No life is perfect and you try to take the positives and keep on walking

Miss the days back home although I did travel back for visits and noticed the huge change that time does for people (immediate and extended family and friends). The situation of the country doesn’t help for sure

I check the forum from time to time to see what’s going on from the tech/life side of things.

Board footer