LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 2 2019

Tech Guru

Home Surveillance System Recommendation

I am moving to a new apartment in a relatively secured area (Kraytem) since I am getting married soon. I like to have an added layer of home security. I am thinking to install a reliable surveillance complete system that includes(not limited to) a  4 cameras and a DVR.

Any one who installed a similar system in his home , may give me some  recommendations:

A reliable store in Beirut for surveillance / security systems, that comes and do the complete installation.

A reliable brand of the cameras / DVR / etc.. (I heard that HiKVision is Good)

NVR or DVR ?

Do I need a DVR + HDD or a Standalone DVR is sufficient ?

What Do You Think of Wireless connection Cameras ?

Is a UPS needed ?

Thank You

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 2 2019)

#2 August 3 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Home Surveillance System Recommendation

i have a hikvision nvr with hikvision cameras .. pretty easy to install .. good pricing .. but bad customer service
small nvr/disk/4 cameras will cost around 700$

i tried wireless as well , needs more tweaking and are not as reliable as the cabled ip cams - nvr and dvr generally don't have any storage .. so you can connect them to a NAS , PC or add a hdd which is best for this setup

ups is always good in our country

#3 August 6 2019

beezer

Cameras are not security, they are a deterrent for first time crooks but not seasoned ones. Invest in strong doors/windows and a dog trained in protection.

If you go wireless you will have that 1-2minute of down time every time the electricity switches over which is just enough time to break in unless you have each device hooked up to a UPS.

I've seen videos of criminals steal cars, motorcycles, homes, and people in the street. Guess what, they were never caught. Videos of them stealing power lines, cutting telephone cables and no one caught them. They stole a car from across a police station once and no one caught them. And these criminals are smart, they hide from cameras, or cover themselves up so they can't be seen, or they wait until the dawn/dusk time when the cameras are still on day mode but haven't kicked in to IR mode or the other way around. Hell, I've seen videos where they don't care about the cameras and just steal in plain sight. Invest in some fake cameras, put them up and then with the money you save, get a trained dog.

If someone wants to steal something, they will find a way and a camera only shows you what they did after it's too late.

#4 September 24 2019

Tech Guru

I ended Up getting a

Dahua 4 Channels FHD NVR
1TB Segate HDD 7200 /Rpm 64mb
Two Wireless Dahua Pan–Tilt–Zoom Camera (PTZ 360° cameras) with mition detection , IR  ,  and Email Notification

Area of Coverage:

Main Door Space / Ceiling Mounted
Home Corridor /Ceiling Mounted

24/7 Surveillance ,  HDD and Cloud (annual Membership)

Very Satisfied from the Results & remote home surveillance from my mobile anywhere / anytime.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 24 2019)

#5 October 13 2019

Techlover

Hi,
I need to install 4 outdoor poe ip cameras ( i prefer dahua or hikvision) with a poe switch and a small nvr.

What resolution for the cameras do you recommend and which switch brand ?
And can you recommend where can i find the best prices ?
I don't need the installation, i can do it .
I onky need the components .

#6 October 13 2019

duke-of-bytes

Hikvision have their own poe switch brands ..very cheap
Any other poe switch that supports 802.3af protocol should work
As for the resolution it is up to you (how muxh you need) how much storage you have ...and what does your nvr support

Board footer