LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 2 2017

Tech Guru

New TV Set - Sony x930e 4K HDR

Just sold  Samsung KU 7000 55 Inch 4K HDR TV by USD 500 and I am thorough review and searching in Lebanon I spotted the Sony X930e at Tahan ( Fattal Closed in Lebanon) and I pulled the Trigger at 1900 USD for the 55inch. All reviews are positive and highly recommended about this TV especially with peak brightness in HDR and very good local dimming. At the end it is a Sony very relieable engineering. The x800e , x850e , x900e are all available put I went the top end X930e due to is X1 Extreme Processor witha dolbly vision support in the future it is design , and very good HDR Perfromance, screen uniformity , very high HDR Peak Brightness (1375 cd/m2) , very good contrast , deep blacks , very good motion handling. I found it a better choice that Samsung Qled Series or LG Nano Panels. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/led-lcd

#2 November 2 2017

H.S

Re: New TV Set - Sony x930e 4K HDR

Was it worthy to upgrade from the KU 7000? Did you notice any major improvements? The input lag is good for 4K but bad for 1080p @ 60Hz. 42.3 ms according to RTINGS. There are still a lot of games to play @1080p 60Hz.

#3 November 3 2017

ManOwaRR

i'am still waiting  for a 4k monitor + hdr+ gsync + low input  lag , tv still tv which  i consider bad investment for gaming , great investment  to watch 4k movies

42.3ms  =))

#4 November 3 2017

anayman_k7

1900$ for a "GAMING TV" ! Seriously! Waste of money and won't justify the prices/specs, the TVs has a looooooooong road to reach the Gaming Monitors levels, 1-5ms Response, up to 240Hz (real Hz) Refresh Rate

#5 November 3 2017

infiniteloop

No need for a 1 to 5ms input lag or 240hz to enjoy single player missions, now if you are a multiplayer fan yes I agree, but personally I am a single player player and a TV with even 30ms input lag is more than enough for me, this sony has 25ms input lag with 4K HDR 4.4.4 60fps which is pretty good, though I won't pay this insane amount of money for a TV, the samsung MU7000 for instance has a weaker HDR but a very low input lag of 20ms when at 4K HDR 4.4.4 60fps and for a sweet price of 630$.
Now the other question to ask: should I get a 4k TV when even my geforce 1070 can't give me something above 1440p if everything is on Ultra to keep 60fps with actual games?

#6 November 3 2017

Tech Guru

I will be grabbing the PG 35 VQ when it is released. I consider this TV a decent overall around usage with a great HDR and a nice piece of hardware to have at Home for movies , some gaming on the Pro for Sony Exclusives ( the library of games supporting HDR 10 is increasing) , some 4k HDR Gaming from the PC ( 3rd Person Shooters , Driving , Adventures etc..) The HDR on this set is awesome with a decent local dimming that eliminates blooming and increase black levels . It is agreat upgrade on the mediocre KU or MU , I am enjoying it a lot. Tested some 120hz input on 1080p which Sony panel suppprts on the x930e no flickering and very smooth. Motion Handling is great on the Sony without any soap opera effect.

4k @ 60Hz + HDR  : 25.8 ms

1080p @ 120 Hz  : 14.5ms

4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 25.7 ms

In actual gaming experience I did not feel the input lag Tested with a PS4 Pro and My Desktop with a 1080ti.

Last edited by Tech Guru (November 3 2017)

#7 November 3 2017

beezer

I still use my Panasonic plasma from 10 years ago. :/ lol

#8 November 4 2017

nefe_lpmk

I like LG 's OLED in TVs (not phones )

#9 November 4 2017

Tech Guru

nefe_lpmk wrote:

I like LG 's OLED in TVs (not phones )

Agree. The LGs in 2017 are very good , including the C7 , E7 , G7 (Singrature ) in addition to the Sony A1E.  The LGs 2017 55 ich OLEDs  are expensive here ( starting 2800 USD Plus). One draw back of the OLEDs tvs are image burning / retention and lack of maximum HDR Peak brightness which is a core for a better HDR Expereince.

#10 November 21 2017

Tech Guru

Tech Guru wrote:

Just sold  Samsung KU 7000 55 Inch 4K HDR TV by USD 500 and I am thorough review and searching in Lebanon I spotted the Sony X930e at Tahan ( Fattal Closed in Lebanon) and I pulled the Trigger at 1900 USD for the 55inch. All reviews are positive and highly recommended about this TV especially with peak brightness in HDR and very good local dimming. At the end it is a Sony very relieable engineering. The x800e , x850e , x900e are all available put I went the top end X930e due to is X1 Extreme Processor witha dolbly vision support in the future it is design , and very good HDR Perfromance, screen uniformity , very high HDR Peak Brightness (1375 cd/m2) , very good contrast , deep blacks , very good motion handling. I found it a better choice that Samsung Qled Series or LG Nano Panels. 

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x930e

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/led-lcd

Well I was suprised that the Sony X930e can do actually 1080p 240hz or 1440p 144hz , they listed that in can do 120hz on 1080p. I was trying and testing   different  custom resolutions / refresh rates  (Nvidia Control Panel) , and this set nail it well. Awsome playing Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on 55 inch with 144hz locked using Vsync. Very Good for a TV Set with great HDR Capabilities.On the X930e it is a real feed , check rtings.com. Nvidia will not allow you to check it if was interpolation , you need to do a test if the TV actually accepts this signal.  The mouse cursor changed , felt the difference directly. Input lag is about 20ms which is  tolerable  plus on a high refresh rate you will not feel it that much , every thing is snappier.

jnBGnA2.jpg

6FZRpST.jpg

RvpAHPL.jpg

GaIJbRB.jpg

BhQ5oZ4.jpg

#11 January 4 2018

AVOlio

What is a Good 55' 4K TV to buy now?

I have someone offering me a Samsung 55HU8500 4K LED 3D TV, it is old, from the year 2014, shall i buy it, for 800$?

If not, which TV should you recommend, i can go up to 1000$ or 1200$ max if necessary.

#12 January 4 2018

infiniteloop

AVOlio wrote:

I have someone offering me a Samsung 55HU8500 4K LED 3D TV, it is old, from the year 2014, shall i buy it, for 800$?

If not, which TV should you recommend, i can go up to 1000$ or 1200$ max if necessary.

HDR is very important nowadays for 4K TVs, this 2014 wouldn't have HDR so better get Sony 2017 model 55X8000E at 850$ (Kintaro) it's not the deepest blacks but its HDR and input lag are great, or wait till June for the 2018 models, don't get the MU7000 series, I heard it has lot of problems

#13 January 5 2018

Tech Guru

AVOlio wrote:

Pay 1400 usd and go with awesome Sony x900e 55 inch - Tahan

Respectable HDR Peak Brightness
Fall Array Local Dimming " very imortant for HDR " , the x800e abd x850e misses that.
Good Contrast / Blacks (VA Panel)
Native 10bit 120hz Panel

I donot recommend any mu series (even the mu 9000) or tge x800e / x850e when compared to the x900e.

For Youe reference Rtings.com has a strong comparsion ool

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare … 0e/418/435

#14 January 5 2018

AVOlio

Actually i've set my eyes on LG OLED TVs.
Specifically the 55B7 or C7 whichever is cheaper, from what i've heard those entry point OLED TVs deliver the same picture quality as the high end Signature OLED TVs, they're just priced cheaper because of esthetics and sound quality and other stuff.

They have all the HDR formats available and they're OLED!
A bit pricey, at about 1800$ (which i saw online, i'm sure it's more expensive here), i'll visit the LG showroom in Dora soon.

Last edited by AVOlio (January 5 2018)

#15 January 6 2018

Tech Guru

AVOlio wrote:

Actually i've set my eyes on LG OLED TVs.
Specifically the 55B7 or C7 whichever is cheaper, from what i've heard those entry point OLED TVs deliver the same picture quality as the high end Signature OLED TVs, they're just priced cheaper because of esthetics and sound quality and other stuff.

They have all the HDR formats available and they're OLED!
A bit pricey, at about 1800$ (which i saw online, i'm sure it's more expensive here), i'll visit the LG showroom in Dora soon.

LG Oleds (2017) in Lebanon in the 2500-3000 USD Range for the C7 , OLEDs are great in real blacks and infinite contrast but beaware of

Image Retention
Image Burning
Along with an Average HDR Peak Brightness

LG in the 2017 OLED line pushed some software options to fight image retention and image burning with an 1 hour self restart. In my opinion  I can tolorate the bloomings and  none native blacks on a highend led tv with local dimming on retention / burning / and average hdr peak brightness on OLEDs.

The Sony A1E has the OLED technology draw backs but I prefer it over the B7 , C7 or E7 , due to the motion handling , upscaling , and build durability of the Sony Oled over the LGs Oleds. 

CES 2018 will introduce some sets with micro-leds which is the future and will replace OLEDs by countering its drawbacks. Read about this technology.

Last edited by Tech Guru (January 6 2018)

#16 January 8 2018

AVOlio

So I've seen the micro Led technology from Samsung in ces.
Theyre basically just like OLED, as in they're self emitting pixels with no need for a backlight plus they're not organic,  and that also prevents some of the disadvantages that OLED has like image retention and screen burn in and plus some longevity issues OLED TVs suffer.

This looks like a promising technology if indeed it produces the same image quality as OLEDs, and I guess I'll hold on of purchasing any tvs for now until these tvs become mainstream, even if it means waiting 1-2 more years.

One bad thing I saw though was the panel itself, it looked like it was individual puzzle pieces brought up together to make to make the full big panel.
It's not an attractive point if that will be the case for the consumer versions, well just have to wait and see.

#17 January 9 2018

Tech Guru

AVOlio wrote:

So I've seen the micro Led technology from Samsung in ces.
Theyre basically just like OLED, as in they're self emitting pixels with no need for a backlight plus they're not organic,  and that also prevents some of the disadvantages that OLED has like image retention and screen burn in and plus some longevity issues OLED TVs suffer.

This looks like a promising technology if indeed it produces the same image quality as OLEDs, and I guess I'll hold on of purchasing any tvs for now until these tvs become mainstream, even if it means waiting 1-2 more years.

One bad thing I saw though was the panel itself, it looked like it was individual puzzle pieces brought up together to make to make the full big panel.
It's not an attractive point if that will be the case for the consumer versions, well just have to wait and see.

Quick Hints
Sony will always be the leader in AV.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/s … first-look

In 2012 Sony demonstrated the first micro-LED TV (55", Full-HD) which they termed Crystal-LED. Sony's Crystal-LED never reached the market, but in 2016 the company unveiled its large-area outdoor micro-LED displays which Sony calls Canvas Display

Sony  pushed the quantum dot technology in 2013 ( Triluminos Display) ,  that Samsung Adopted in their high end tvs in 2016 (KS and Now Qled) and New  Samsung HG90 , HG 70 , FG 70 ) along with LGs Highend Nano Crystal TVs in 2017 like the SJ 8500 Nanocell , and upcoming gaming monitors  from asus like the pg 35 vq and pg 27 uq.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3881 … antum-dots

If I were in your shoes I will drop a x900e or the upcoming x 900f , and wait for mirco led to mature enough. The x900e currently sells for 1400usd at Tahan (55 inch) with FALD and 120hz on 1080p. A Definite grab for this awesome price/performance 4k hdr tv set.

#18 January 10 2018

yasamoka

Tech Guru wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Fall Array Local Dimming " very imortant for HDR " , the x800e abd x850e misses that.
Native 10bit 120hz Panel

I donot recommend any mu series (even the mu 9000) or tge x800e / x850e when compared to the x900e.

The Sony X900E's panel runs at 120Hz, however the TV does not support 4K 120Hz as an input signal. It supports 1080p 120Hz, however. Perhaps it might also support 1440p 120Hz, too, given it's within the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, but I don't know for certain. Just felt this should be clarified so that someone doesn't go and jump on the opportunity then finds out it's incapable of 120Hz at its native resolution.

EDIT: I see it's been clarified earlier and later. All good.

Last edited by yasamoka (January 10 2018)

#19 January 10 2018

Tech Guru

yasamoka wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Native 10bit 120hz Panel

The Sony X900E's panel runs at 120Hz, however the TV does not support 4K 120Hz as an input signal. It supports 1080p 120Hz, however. Perhaps it might also support 1440p 120Hz, too, given it's within the bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, but I don't know for certain. Just felt this should be clarified so that someone doesn't go and jump on the opportunity then finds out it's incapable of 120Hz at its native resolution.

EDIT: I see it's been clarified earlier and later. All good.

Certainly none of the TVs in 2018 too  will support 120hz @ 2160p due to lack of hdmi 2.1 , the x930e can do 144hz @ 1440p without frame skipping and interpolation.

Nvidia has a coming monitor - tv hybroid that supports 120hz @2160p with Gsync -65"  let us see what input doesnot use (DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.1).

#20 January 10 2018

yasamoka

G-Sync, unlike FreeSync, only works over DisplayPort and not HDMI unless they have changed that with this planned release. I can't see them moving towards HDMI as every single GPU that supports G-Sync has a DisplayPort, as well as the idea that they could have simply reused G-Sync modules that were already in production to be used with the upcoming 4K 144Hz 16:9 / 3440x1440 200Hz Ultrawide G-Sync HDR monitors, and those would surely come in DisplayPort format.

It's likely that moving forward, G-Sync will not support HDMI since it relies on a proprietary standard and I believe I have read that encryption on an Altera FPGA is USED. FreeSync (Adaptive Sync) is an open standard that could even be made to work over HDMI with a simple EDID tweak (but not over DisplayPort) - I have done that with my Qnix QX2710 and ran it at 1440p 55Hz (since the override forces HDMI mode which only translates to single-line DVI) back when I had 290X CrossFire.

#21 January 10 2018

LifeEngineer

Interesting topic.
I currently have an old smart samsung TV 6 series, 46" FHD.
I am currently working on selling my house and getting a new one. With that move, I want to get a decent 4K HDR TV for my PS4 pro (and PS5 in the future).
My main constraint is obviously price. I don't want to pay more than 1000$ max! Being 50"+ is also a requirement.
After some search, and thanks to Rtings, it seems the best budget 4K HDR gaming TV is the TCL P607.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ … tra-hd-uhd
I contacted TCL lebanon and they said it will be coming in February or March.
I'll probably be getting it, if priced below 800$.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (January 10 2018)

#22 January 10 2018

AVOlio

Guys on a further note regarding HDR,
i do not own neither a ps4 pro, not Xbox one X or S.
I got a PS4 only, and a PC of course.

Will HDR be useful to me on my platforms?? Is there any HDR content or Gaming on the PS4 and PC?

#23 January 10 2018

mmk92

Regular PS4 supports HDR and yes games like hitman and RE7 both support HDR on PC.

I have a pseudo-hdr TV and the difference with HDR on is gorgeous and very noticeable. It comes without saying that a TV with native 10bit hdr would look even better.

If you can afford getting a decent TV that supports HDR then it’s a no-brainer.

#24 January 12 2018

AVOlio

LifeEngineer wrote:

Interesting topic.
I am currently working on selling my house and getting a new one. With that move, I want to get a decent 4K HDR TV for my PS4 pro (and PS5 in the future).
My main constraint is obviously price. I don't want to pay more than 1000$ max! Being 50"+ is also a requirement.
After some search, and thanks to Rtings, it seems the best budget 4K HDR gaming TV is the TCL P607.

Could you please provide their official website?
or any info about them?

#25 January 13 2018

infiniteloop

LifeEngineer wrote:

Interesting topic.

It will certainly be below 800$ for the 50'', actual TCLin Lebanon  50'' 4K are around 500$ and 55'' 600$, so the P607 would be at these prices with perhaps 50$ more

Last edited by infiniteloop (January 13 2018)

Board footer