LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 5 2015

mickzster

illegally activated laptop

Hi,

I just bought a Lenovo G50-70 laptop that came with Windows 8.1 x64.
While I was uninstalling an application using Programs and Features, I found among the list "KMSpico" (for those who don't know it's an activator for Windows which installs a Windows activation key instead of having to buy the official Windows CD), I was not satisfied since I paid for this laptop which has a "fake" Windows key.
I bought this laptop from Syscom, Dekweneh.

So my question is, how should I act? What should I do ? No one pays for a laptop that has been illegally activated, laptops usually come with their stock genuinely activated OS, otherwise I shouldn't pay the whole 650$ I paid for my laptop..

Thanks in advance,
-Michael.

#2 September 5 2015

mickzster

Re: illegally activated laptop

[UPDATE]

I also saw in "Uninstall a program" that some cracked version of Microsoft Office 2010 has been installed on 12/6/2014, publisher says "S.a.c.c".
So, the laptop has been CLEARLY taken out of its box about a year ago.
I won't be able to return this laptop and hopefully get a refund till next Friday. Because Sunday Syscom is closed, and I won't be anywhere close to Dekwaneh in the next 5 days, but for the moment I'll be sending them an e-mail asking for a refund or whatever they are willing to offer.

-Michael.

#3 September 5 2015

NAM

if you are ever planning to leave lebanon and take the laptop with you .. return it and take your money back.
Cyber crime is the number one enemy of the whole world now (even worse than terrorism). if  you travel outside lebanon (mostly europe or america) you will be pursuit for illegal software and maybe put in jail. i know this is worst case scenario but better be safe than sorry.

#4 September 5 2015

rolf

If they will not concede anything (which they are likely to) you can threaten to go to Microsoft and denounce them. But of course the first step is to call and complain to Syscom (never heard of them; what an ugly name), maybe they will do something about it.

The details are very hazy, but there was a time where they would go into offices and check if Windows were genuine. I think there is a company or group representing the interest of Microsoft and other brands, but I forgot the details. Maybe someone else can fill you in.
This may scare them enough.

You could also try to get in touch with the manufacturer and denounce them, if they have some kind of "wikele" this *might* scare them into offering a refund, exchange, etc. I think you should still denounce them even if they do, for all the honest people out there who bother try to get original Windows and who do not screw their customers, but that's for you to decide.

All in all, it just sucks. At least it's only a laptop and nothing worse. Once I was sold a second hand cell phone and it turned out not to be working at all, not the camera, not the cell radio, not even the wifi properly. All it could do properly is play games, but it was symbian (Nokia N71 or something) so, well, anyway it sucks. That same guy defrauded me twice, by pretending that he could fix my iPhone 3, and then he said he could not, and never returned the parts. When I insisted he returned parts from an iPhone 1.

Good luck!

NAM wrote:

if  you travel outside lebanon (mostly europe or america) you will be pursuit for illegal software and maybe put in jail. i know this is worst case scenario but better be safe than sorry.

I have been living in Europe, and realistically they never check your private laptop. But who knows what they come up with, they always come up with new things.
I've even read about a GEMA in Germany suing a kindergarden. It's just too crazy to believe. But don't worry too much nobody is going to ask you to open your laptop and prove that your Windows is Genuine, in Europe anyway.

Last edited by rolf (September 5 2015)

#5 September 5 2015

bermudapineapple

I doubt you will get anything out of them. Counterfeit software is the norm here. Also it won't help threatening them that you'll inform Microsoft if they aren't even an official distributor. They couldn't care less what Microsoft thinks.

I hope you didn't mention the reason for your refund in your email otherwise they might make it harder for you since in their eyes it isn't a "real problem." Just get a refund and don't deal with them anymore.

#6 September 5 2015

mickzster

Okay, thank you all !
I upgraded to Windows 10 since Microsoft offers a free upgrade as long as your Windows 8.1 is activated (regardless of whether it is a fake activation or a genuine one).
So I chose to keep the laptop because after all it has quite good specifications for a 650$ Lenovo laptop..
If interested, here are the specifications :
CPU: Intel Core i7 5500U with Integrated Intel HD 5500 GPU
Memory: 8GB RAM
Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon R5 M330
Storage: 1 TB HDD
Quite good for a 650$ laptop, don't you think ?

Thank you,
-Michael.

#7 September 5 2015

Stygmata
Banned

mickzster wrote:

Okay, thank you all !
I upgraded to Windows 10 since Microsoft offers a free upgrade as long as your Windows 8.1 is activated (regardless of whether it is a fake activation or a genuine one).
So I chose to keep the laptop because after all it has quite good specifications for a 650$ Lenovo laptop..
If interested, here are the specifications :
CPU: Intel Core i7 5500U with Integrated Intel HD 5500 GPU
Memory: 8GB RAM
Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon R5 M330
Storage: 1 TB HDD
Quite good for a 650$ laptop, don't you think ?

Thank you,
-Michael.

This is the price for a lenovo 50-70 with the same specs but with dos ( no windows )
Even if not a distributor or reseller , microsoft will sue them ( happened with me )

#8 September 6 2015

bermudapineapple

Stygmata wrote:

Even if not a distributor or reseller , microsoft will sue them ( happened with me )

Will Microsoft really waste time and resources to sue a tiny company in a third world country? I'm pretty sure Microsoft is aware of the existence of millions of these types of companies but understands that it's almost certainly useless to do anything about it.

#9 September 6 2015

Stygmata
Banned

tt400 wrote:
Stygmata wrote:

Will Microsoft really waste time and resources to sue a tiny company in a third world country? I'm pretty sure Microsoft is aware of the existence of millions of these types of companies but understands that it's almost certainly useless to do anything about it.

It will be a cautionary tale to the rest..also they have special teams for this kind of issues

#10 September 6 2015

Die_Kapitan

Stygmata wrote:
tt400 wrote:
Stygmata wrote:

It will be a cautionary tale to the rest..also they have special teams for this kind of issues

They wouldn't even bother suing as the money they'll get from winning the case wouldn't be a fraction of what they'll spent to sue. Same with Adobe and Dassault, they know a lot of people pirate their stuff, but unless it's a company they don't even bother suing.

#11 September 6 2015

Stygmata
Banned

Die_Kapitan wrote:
Stygmata wrote:
tt400 wrote:

They wouldn't even bother suing as the money they'll get from winning the case wouldn't be a fraction of what they'll spent to sue. Same with Adobe and Dassault, they know a lot of people pirate their stuff, but unless it's a company they don't even bother suing.

It is a company : syscom

Board footer