LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

local knowledge base

hello
i am planning to implement a local KB in my company .
i already finished the data but i have no clue about the program or how to build a local website .
i need it to be light ,  a bit manageable and free .
please advise

#2 March 17 2015

scorpioxy

Re: local knowledge base

There's not enough information in your post to suggest anything specific. But usually, the easiest to manage and implement this is through a wiki and some access control. There are many out there, obviously the most popular one is the mediawiki engine which runs wikipedia itself. The choice of engine has a lot to do with what your infrastructure is.

Having said that, the term "knowledge base" can mean a lot of different things so i might be way off.

#3 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

a wiki can help me out ..
the KB will contain few documents ( pdf , pictures ) nothing big .
my local infrastructure is good enough to support a small KB
what information do you need more ?

#4 March 17 2015

scorpioxy

Well then a wiki might be the best choice for you. The infrastructure bit was because mediawiki is php-based and after seeing many horrors, I never assume anything about an existing infrastructure.

The more information statement is due to what I said in my message. It can mean different things. But it doesn't look like you need anything complex.

#5 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

no no nothing complex , something a bit pretty and user friendly ..where users can view the KB articles that's it . i will be the only one editing .

#6 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

so i found this : https://www.dokuwiki.org/ but it requires PHP and such and i have no clue how to install it .
can somebody give me some points on how to install it on a server ?

#7 March 17 2015

MrClass

You can setup a local wiki server via Apple server. If you have a mac laying around, you can use that.

#8 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

MrClass wrote:

You can setup a local wiki server via Apple server. If you have a mac laying around, you can use that.

No I have no mac ...I need help to setup the iis and php for the docuwiki

#9 March 17 2015

samer
Admin

Wamp gives you all the dependencies you need to run Doku in one package.

#10 March 17 2015

cgsawma

You can use wamp as samer mentioned and you can also use xampp
They give you local apache server and you can build a local website by using just a notepad or an ide like NetBeans
Then you website will be accessed by localhost/folder/index

#11 March 17 2015

Stygmata
Banned

thank you guys   ..ill try the wamp tomorrow...any ideas about the installation? ?

#12 March 17 2015

paco

In windows all you have to do is to download and install the file wamp.exe
Then you can access your server by entering the localhost in your browser.
The files will be in the folder www

#13 March 18 2015

Stygmata
Banned

i installed wamp successfully .
as per the dokuwiki manual i should do the following :
Step 0: Make sure your server meets the requirements.  DONE
Step 1: Download the newest release from the Download Page.  DONE
Step 2: Read the security page before you begin installing. Take it seriously. If in doubt, ask on the mailing list
Step 3: Unpack the distribution tarball and upload/copy the files to your webspace. 
Step 4: Open the install.php file in your browser and follow the instructions. (For additional information, see the installer page.)
Step 5: Enjoy your DokuWiki install and browse through the manual to discover what you can do with it.

i do not have a webspace only a local server .
i created a new directory in the www folder in wamp and copied the doku files to it .
if i go to http://localhost i can see all the info on wamp and the created directory ( named it Tarek ) is shown like this :

1_2.jpg

if i go to doku.php i get the below image but if i try to go to install.php i get 404 error

2_2.jpg

#14 March 19 2015

Stygmata
Banned

so after several trials and tweaking i was able to make it work , now the thing is it needs a lot of customization ( php and html perhaps )
who is willing to help me start this KB probono ? i will put his name on the project , issue him a paper of service ( in case he wants to add it to his CV ) and in case i have clients for a website i will propose him

Board footer