LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1176 August 2 2017

m0ei

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:
m0ei wrote:

IDM just upgraded my speed to 8mbps! My line can freaking handle up to 18mbps and they gave me 8mbps.

Hello Ogero... here I come.

EDIT: Noise Margin dropped from 17dB to 9-10dB.

Which CO? and did the SNR margin dropped after the upgrade or was it 17 at 8 Mbps in the morning and it just dropped now?

CO: Rass el Nabeh, Line Attenuation was always 17.5dB

Noise margin fluctuates between 14dB and 18db depending on the electricity.

The modem max rate was always between: 14mbps and 18mbps.

My current modem doesn't show the SNR value, I didn't check if it's possible via telnet but will do now.

Today they upgraded my speed from 6mbps to 8mbps which was followed by a drop in the noise margin from around 16-17dB to 9-10dB.

EDIT: Current max rate is 13mbps.

Last edited by m0ei (August 2 2017)

#1177 August 2 2017

wollyka

m0ei wrote:
wollyka wrote:
m0ei wrote:

IDM just upgraded my speed to 8mbps! My line can freaking handle up to 18mbps and they gave me 8mbps.

Hello Ogero... here I come.

EDIT: Noise Margin dropped from 17dB to 9-10dB.

Which CO? and did the SNR margin dropped after the upgrade or was it 17 at 8 Mbps in the morning and it just dropped now?

CO: Rass el Nabeh, Line Attenuation was always 17.5dB

Noise margin fluctuates between 14dB and 18db depending on the electricity.

The modem max rate was always between: 14mbps and 18mbps.

My current modem doesn't show the SNR value, I didn't check if it's possible via telnet but will do now.

Today they upgraded my speed from 6mbps to 8mbps which was followed by a drop in the noise margin from around 16-17dB to 9-10dB.

EDIT: Current max rate is 13mbps.

It is normal for the SNR margin to drop but the drop is large for only a 2 mbits increase.

#1178 August 2 2017

m0ei

I called IDM and they told me that they can't give me more because my line will start disconnecting. While talking to the support, I changed the modem from the rj11 jack in my room to another one in living room with a TP Link modem.

The line attenuation increased from 17.5 to 19.8.

In my room:
Netgear SNR was 9.8 with 8mbps.
TPLink SNR was 13.5 with 8mbps
Line attenuation for both was around the same ~17dB.
Max rate for the netgear is 14.5mbps.
Max rate for the tplink is 12.5mbps

In the living room (haven't tested the netgear):
TPLink SNR was 15.5 with 8mbps.
Line Attenuation was 19.8.
Max rate was 15.6mbps.

The 8mbps upgrade was applied while I was using the netgear modem in my room. SNR before the upgrade was around 14.5dB.

Note: I remember the line attenuation in my room being around 15dB few weeks ago.. all what changed is the RJ11 cable. I'm using a cheap chinese one, is it possible for the line attenuation to increase by around 2dB for the change of the cable?

An electrician is coming tomorrow to change the cables to CAT6 from the phonebox, just told my friend to get me a CAT6 3M roll. While at it, I will let him check the wirings in the my room.

Last edited by m0ei (August 2 2017)

#1179 August 2 2017

Toufic

m0ei wrote:

I called IDM and they told me that they can't give me more because my line will start disconnecting. While talking to the support, I changed the modem from the rj11 jack in my room to another one in living room with a TP Link modem.

The line attenuation increased from 17.5 to 19.8.

In my room:
Netgear SNR was 9.8 with 8mbps.
TPLink SNR was 13.5 with 8mbps
Line attenuation for both was around the same ~17dB.
Max rate for the netgear is 14.5mbps.
Max rate for the tplink is 12.5mbps

In the living room (haven't tested the netgear):
TPLink SNR was 15.5 with 8mbps.
Line Attenuation was 19.8.
Max rate was 15.6mbps.

The 8mbps upgrade was applied while I was using the netgear modem in my room. SNR before the upgrade was around 14.5dB.

Note: I remember the line attenuation in my room being around 15dB few weeks ago.. all what changed is the RJ11 cable. I'm using a cheap chinese one, is it possible for the line attenuation to increase by around 2dB for the change of the cable?

An electrician is coming tomorrow to change the cables to CAT6 from the phonebox, just told my friend to get me a CAT6 3M roll. While at it, I will let him check the wirings in the my room.

Keep us updated about the difference after the work is done.
I'm eager to see if the correct wire change will make a difference, especially with an ISP (like IDM)

#1180 August 2 2017

wollyka

I sent IDM an email asking them why my max speed is locked at 12 Mbps since my line  can handle more. Just now, my actual rate was increased from 12 to 15 with only a 1 dB drop in SNR margin. I should be getting 16 - 18 but I accept that for now.

#1181 August 2 2017

kfc

wollyka wrote:

I sent IDM an email asking them why my max speed is locked at 12 Mbps since my line  can handle more. Just now, my actual rate was increased from 12 to 15 with only a 1 dB drop in SNR margin. I should be getting 16 - 18 but I accept that for now.

hek la7aloun they gave you extra 3 mbps? what is the magic trick you used to convince them?

#1182 August 2 2017

Silentcontrol

how are you reaching IDM support everytime i call my call gets dropped after a couple of minutes of ringing

Last edited by Silentcontrol (August 2 2017)

#1183 August 2 2017

wollyka

I sent them an email ccing upgrade2017@idm.net.lb.
No magic trick, I showed them some stats (exact same stats, two different lines same floor in my building but the other one is  from ogero with higher speed.)
Also I noticed that their support at late night is better than their support staff during the day. I sent the email at around 8 pm, they replied around midnight that they will look at it.

#1184 August 3 2017

kfc

I had a 45 minutes long call with a customer care agent at IDM regarding the difference in plans between GDS and Ogero DSPs and it took me quite an effort to convince her that quotas have nothing to do with who is the DSP and that they can easily give OS plans with 40 GB and 70 GB to all their users not only GDS ones for the sake of fairness and equality. She ended up agreeing that what i am saying is totally logical and she will escalate it to the top management.

She also told me that they are in a revision period because they are receiving plenty of complaints from unhappy customers...

So i call on all IDM users with DSP ogero to call and file the same complaint. Lets make our voices heard please!!!

Last edited by kfc (August 3 2017)

#1185 August 3 2017

m0ei

Ok, so the electrician came today and we managed to find out our phone line cables, so I tested the modem directly from there.

Here's what I got from the phone box directly:
SNR: 23
Line Attenuation 16.8
Max Rate: 22mbps

Here's what I got from the main phone jack at home:
SNR: 18.5
Line Attenuation: 19.8
Max Rate: 19mbps.

Here's what I get from my room's phone jack:
SNR Margin: 15.1
Line Attenuation: 19
Max Rate: 15mbps

I will be getting a CAT5E shielded cable for outside use and hook it externally to my router. I'm at the 7th floor.

#1186 August 3 2017

Adnan

m0ei wrote:

Ok, so the electrician came today and we managed to find out our phone line cables, so I tested the modem directly from there.

Line Attenuation 16.8

I will be getting a CAT5E shielded cable for outside use and hook it externally to my router. I'm at the 7th floor.

Nice ! My electrician told me he'd use "cablet lebnen" (cables of Lebanon) which I don't know what they are, should I really suggest using Cat cables or meh ? The theoretical max I can get is 8Mbps.

Also, can you provide me with the cost of your cable ? For the "cablet lebnen" cable he said it would be around 20,000LBP to get to the 5th floor.

Before I get to start I'll stress that I want a cable that doesn't get affected by potential electrical interference.

Last edited by Adnan (August 3 2017)

#1187 August 3 2017

m0ei

I was going to get it from Katranji, price is around $45 for 305m roll, it should be around the $40-$45 mark elsewhere (pcandparts).

The electrician told me that he can get me a phone cable roll which is intended for outside use. I didn't ask him for the price.

Last edited by m0ei (August 3 2017)

#1188 August 3 2017

Adnan

m0ei wrote:

I was going to get it from Katranji, price is around $45 for 305m roll, it should be around the $40-$45 mark elsewhere (pcandparts).

The electrician told me that he can get me a phone cable roll which is intended for outside use. I didn't ask him for the price.

Ok. And how are you going to get to the 7th floor ? Balcony/Window ? Is it a "warshe" ?

#1189 August 3 2017

m0ei

Adnan wrote:

Ok. And how are you going to get to the 7th floor ? Balcony/Window ? Is it a "warshe" ?

There's a window in my room, the phone jack is nearby so he'll just need to use a small piece of cord cover to hide the cable. It's similar to the "cable" internet, rather than going from the top of the building, it'll be from the bot. It should take him like 30 minutes all in all.

My other option requires a big "warshe", because the main phone jack in our house is in the entrance which is a bit far from my room. He'll have to drill through walls and remove lights and shit, to pass the cable from there.

#1190 August 3 2017

random_name

All of you complaining about getting 10 mbps instead of 15 mbps (which I totally understand) while I still haven't received my OS upgrade.

SNR: 23 down/ 24 up
attenuation: 48.7 down/ 32up
Max rate: 9.3 down/1.03up
Rate:2.198 down/532 up
CRC:0/0

Should I worry? Or upgrade might still come in the near future?

#1191 August 3 2017

kfc

random_name wrote:

All of you complaining about getting 10 mbps instead of 15 mbps (which I totally understand) while I still haven't received my OS upgrade.

You can hardly have more than 4 mbps with an attenuation of 48

#1192 August 3 2017

random_name

kfc wrote:
random_name wrote:

Even with 23 SNR?

#1193 August 3 2017

kfc

random_name wrote:
kfc wrote:
random_name wrote:

Even with 23 SNR?

Yes because you are far from the centrale

#1194 August 3 2017

random_name

kfc wrote:
random_name wrote:
kfc wrote:

Even with 23 SNR?

Well when they opened the speeds a month ago it cld handle 6+ mbps  snr dropped to 9

#1195 August 3 2017

kfc

random_name wrote:
kfc wrote:
random_name wrote:

Even with 23 SNR?

Well when they opened the speeds a month ago it cld handle 6+ mbps  snr dropped to 9

Ok fine you are lucky. When my attenuation was 52, i could barely reach 2 mbps.

. 4-6mbps is the max for you. Not more than this.

Last edited by kfc (August 3 2017)

#1196 August 3 2017

H.S

I am fed up with IDM, I told them about the interference on my line. Wanted to eliminate the interference so I can have more than 4mbps. They lowered my speed to 3999kbps, used to be 4399kbps, no issues.

If they won't revert the speed back, I am going to cancel my subscription and go with Ferrari Networks, it is wireless but I heard a lot of good news about them in terms of the latency and stability. I can get 5mbps with 2.5mbps upload, something I can't get on DSL.

#1197 August 3 2017

stief96

m0ei wrote:

Line Attenuation 16.8

i'm subscribed with sodetel,in the last two weeks my modem had those values when Electricity is off
vQLXg6m.png

starting from this month i had those values when also the Electricity is off
Fy0OzGk.png

when the Electricity is on
JdUBf8l.png

so i brought down near the telephone box an UPS and the modem to test the connection when Electricity is on.
i was surprised to see the same values as shown in the last picture.

An advise ,test first down stairs before rewiring.

seems open speeds is a big lie concerning private ISPs,it is capped by them.

#1198 August 3 2017

Toufic

stief96 wrote:
m0ei wrote:

Line Attenuation 16.8

i'm subscribed with sodetel,in the last two weeks my modem had those values when Electricity is off
http://i.imgur.com/vQLXg6m.png

starting from this month i had those values when also the Electricity is off
http://i.imgur.com/Fy0OzGk.png

when the Electricity is on
http://i.imgur.com/JdUBf8l.png

so i brought down near the telephone box an UPS and the modem to test the connection when Electricity is on.
i was surprised to see the same values as shown in the last picture.

An advise ,test first down stairs before rewiring.

seems open speeds is a big lie concerning private ISPs,it is capped by them.

Capped indeed.

Again, if you're not in it for the unlimited night traffic........ OGERO

#1199 August 3 2017

Silentcontrol

I will definetly switch to  ogero 3 days after they "monitored my line" max rate is randomly 9,999 mb lol my line atenuation is 21and my snr is 18.
Why advertise open speed and lie.

#1200 August 3 2017

Silentcontrol

i contacted idm i got one of the best customer support guy i know he can't do a lot to help me but at least he contacted me on a personal level to explain to me stuff he couldn't explain on the monitored line of IDM.
not gona give names to protect this guy's privacy but i respect what he did he basically told me that he has no idea if they are limiting my speed anjd some other stuff.
if this guy is on lebgeeks i wish that he can send me a direct message i will not tell on him i promise.

Board footer