LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#826 December 3 2015

Anthony2000

Re: Feedback for IDM

Raficoo wrote:
Anthony2000 wrote:

just started my new 2mbps unlimited plan with IDM this month. all i can say is that calling it a 2mbps connection is a joke. cant even get to 1mbps with all the FUP, does ogero have FUP on unlimited plans?

Ogero has absolutely no FUP whatsoever on all its plans, but they only offer one unlimited plan(2mbps). I've been on this plan since August 2014 and I haven't noticed a single drop in speed or spike in latency even after downloading sometimes 150GBs in one month. If you really need true unlimited and $50/month is not a problem for you I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for the info! will switch to Ogero ASAP. my line doesn't support speeds above 2mbps anyway so i think im gonna go for it with ogero.

#827 December 4 2015

shady282

hey, i would like some help, i m currently switching from a private cable ISP to a new ISP.. and i would like to know your opinion about which one is better... i was thinking between :

- IDM: 2M - 45GB    2 Mbps    45 GB    $ 19
- IDM: 4M - 15GB    4 Mbps    15 GB    $ 19
- Sodetel: 4m              1 Mbps      25GB      $ 21

I actually prefer sodetel option since it is higher speed and i m the only user of this internet and i m not that much of a heavy user. i do download sometime few GB movies or programs but i do watch a lot of youtube but i read how much sodetel is horrible and it is getting worse after the new service...
Thanks

Last edited by shady282 (December 4 2015)

#828 December 5 2015

NAM

shady282 wrote:

hey, i would like some help, i m currently switching from a private cable ISP to a new ISP.. and i would like to know your opinion about which one is better... i was thinking between :

I actually prefer sodetel option since it is higher speed and i m the only user of this internet and i m not that much of a heavy user. i do download sometime few GB movies or programs but i do watch a lot of youtube but i read how much sodetel is horrible and it is getting worse after the new service...
Thanks

I have IDM 4mbps 15gb  and i'm happy with their download speeds (since there is no actual FUP for downloading at night on limited plans) while i read before that sodetel has FUP even on limited plans .. but there is also some congestion on peak hours (it becomes sometimes as low as 1mbps for some  hours).

Very important note to take is that lebanon has a very weird network .. while i can get the 4 mbps; my neighbor by the end of the road (about 200 meters away) is still using a 1mbps .. so please ask your neighbors about their speeds and recommendations before signing up for a new ISP since changing one in lebanon takes too much time and energy, and as always the best ping is reserved for ogero users so if you plan to play any online game go for ogero.

#829 December 5 2015

shady282

NAM wrote:
shady282 wrote:

Thanks

I have IDM 4mbps 15gb  and i'm happy with their download speeds (since there is no actual FUP for downloading at night on limited plans) while i read before that sodetel has FUP even on limited plans .. but there is also some congestion on peak hours (it becomes sometimes as low as 1mbps for some  hours).

Very important note to take is that lebanon has a very weird network .. while i can get the 4 mbps; my neighbor by the end of the road (about 200 meters away) is still using a 1mbps .. so please ask your neighbors about their speeds and recommendations before signing up for a new ISP since changing one in lebanon takes too much time and energy, and as always the best ping is reserved for ogero users so if you plan to play any online game go for ogero.

but is 15 GB enough ? i m really interested in high speed but yesterday i installed glasswire to monitor my pc traffic, and browsing with few youtube videos 240p got me 500mb usage..other than windows updates that sometimes are heavy and phone apps from updates to VOIP (like whatsapp, viber or skype).. Just a little confused since never had a limited plan in my life.

#830 December 6 2015

NAM

@shady282 .. here is the weird part .. IDM changed their policies toward recharging your account .. if you finish your account you have to buy extra bandwidth (1gb for 2-3$) untill your account finishes it's estimated cycle .. now on the new cycle you can charge whatever plan you want .. even a downgrade (i never tried this though) ...  i got the 4mbps 25gb for a couple of months and it was more than enough.
A small note .. for the first day power up the pc after 11pm and update everything specially if you have win10. some updates would download automatically.

#831 December 6 2015

shady282

NAM wrote:

@shady282 .. here is the weird part .. IDM changed their policies toward recharging your account .. if you finish your account you have to buy extra bandwidth (1gb for 2-3$) untill your account finishes it's estimated cycle .. now on the new cycle you can charge whatever plan you want .. even a downgrade (i never tried this though) ...  i got the 4mbps 25gb for a couple of months and it was more than enough.
A small note .. for the first day power up the pc after 11pm and update everything specially if you have win10. some updates would download automatically.

Thanks !

#832 December 6 2015

Super Official

shady282 wrote:
NAM wrote:

Thanks !

Keep in mind that unlimited night traffic is no longer complementary and you have to buy the service using a 3$ service card for 2-4M plans and 6$ for 6-8M plans.

#833 December 7 2015

shady282

Super Official wrote:
shady282 wrote:
NAM wrote:

@shady282 .. here is the weird part .. IDM changed their policies toward recharging your account .. if you finish your account you have to buy extra bandwidth (1gb for 2-3$) until your account finishes it's estimated cycle .. now on the new cycle you can charge whatever plan you want .. even a downgrade (i never tried this though) ...  i got the 4mbps 25gb for a couple of months and it was more than enough.

Thanks !

Keep in mind that unlimited night traffic is no longer complementary and you have to buy the service using a 3$ service card for 2-4M plans and 6$ for 6-8M plans.

yeah true.. and i have been told u have to pay 10 000 L.L. if you want to change to a higher speed ... but i m not sure about downgrading the speed.

#834 December 12 2015

Super Official

So I remember myself downloading torrents at a 225kb/s speed on 2 MBPS. I wanted to download a torrent today and it downloads at 40-150kb/s, every other online activity is at 2MBPS. So are IDM throttling torrents and P2P? And if yes that's bad as many video games I play use P2P like GTA V, COD, and Destiny.

#835 December 12 2015

Georges00

Super Official wrote:

So I remember myself downloading torrents at a 225kb/s speed on 2 MBPS. I wanted to download a torrent today and it downloads at 40-150kb/s, every other online activity is at 2MBPS. So are IDM throttling torrents and P2P? And if yes that's bad as many video games I play use P2P like GTA V, COD, and Destiny.

Yes. I posted it before. They throttle torrents.

#836 December 12 2015

shady282

Georges00 wrote:
Super Official wrote:

Do they throttle only unlimited plans ? or all plans ?

#837 December 12 2015

NAM

shady282 wrote:
Georges00 wrote:
Super Official wrote:

I stated this before that i have no problem with the p2p download (420kbps on the 4mbps plan) ... also u stated that a simple free vpn solved your problem. This is not to say that in rush hours they will throttle you regardless of your download history.

Don't forget that P2P also depends on the seeders/leechers correlation so the download is not always optimal.

Some forums would condemn you for not seeding for 2:1 ratio (which is impossible for Lebanese because of low upload speeds) and they will label your IP as low priority and you will get bad speeds.

#838 December 12 2015

Georges00

shady282 wrote:
Georges00 wrote:
Super Official wrote:

Unlimited plans as far as I know.

#839 December 12 2015

Georges00

NAM wrote:
shady282 wrote:
Georges00 wrote:

I stated this before that i have no problem with the p2p download (420kbps on the 4mbps plan) ... also u stated that a simple free vpn solved your problem. This is not to say that in rush hours they will throttle you regardless of your download history.

Don't forget that P2P also depends on the seeders/leechers correlation so the download is not always optimal.

Some forums would condemn you for not seeding for 2:1 ratio (which is impossible for Lebanese because of low upload speeds) and they will label your IP as low priority and you will get bad speeds.

When customer service indirectly admit to throttling, it's not a seeding problem anymore.

#840 December 15 2015

thepatcher

Hey, can any current/previous IDM user answer these questions:

- Are the 4M 15/25GB plans with unlimited night traffic from IDM have a FUP?
- Can you download 150~200GB/month (at night) and still have the same speed (or at least half the speed)?
- What's the average torrent speed (with good seeds) you get having these packages?
- And what's the average latency on EU servers in online gaming?

#841 December 15 2015

Super Official

thepatcher wrote:

- Can you download 150~200GB/month (at night) and still have the same speed (or at least half the speed)?
- What's the average torrent speed (with good seeds) you get having these packages?

-No FUP on all limited plans, even unlimited night traffic
-Yeah sure, I download 160gb a month with no slowdowns with my night traffic.
-Almost full speed.
-I would say between 70-100ms.

#842 December 15 2015

Anthony2000

thepatcher wrote:

-yes, all plans have FUP, although the unlimited plans have MUCH more severe than the limited plans.
-mostly, yes.
-usually, you get full speed with torrents that have good seeds (at least in my experience)
-about 130-160 (mostly german and british servers)

#843 December 15 2015

Anthony2000

Super Official wrote:
thepatcher wrote:

-No FUP on all limited plans, even unlimited night traffic
-Yeah sure, I download 160gb a month with no slowdowns with my night traffic.
-Almost full speed.
-I would say between 70-100ms.

i mostly agree, although i have experienced FUP on limited plans, and they even state that limited plans have FUP, "   All plans are subject to Fair Use Policy", copied and pasted straight out of their website.

#844 December 15 2015

thepatcher

@Super Official @Anthony2000
It sounds good then, but how severe can this FUP be?
I think it'll still be acceptable if it's reduced to a minimum of 1Mbs.
Thanks for the feedback.

#845 December 15 2015

Anthony2000

thepatcher wrote:

@Super Official @Anthony2000
It sounds good then, but how severe can this FUP be?
I think it'll still be acceptable if it's reduced to a minimum of 1Mbs.
Thanks for the feedback.

on the unlimited plans, FUP can be so severe, the internet is rendered completely unusable except only maybe for whatsapp (even then you wont be able to download pics) how do i know this? this is my first month where i try IDM unlimited 2mbit and it is an absolute nightmare from 11 am to 11pm, at 11pm my speed magically goes back up from 10-20 kbps to 2mbit. but since you seem to be interested in the limited plan, you will be alright, FUP on limited plans will not usually get you under 1mbit.

#846 December 18 2015

Abou7meed

thepatcher wrote:

- this is my 3rd month (4MB/50GB) been getting 150 GB each month, with no problems or any FUP
- torrents speeds are normal (depends on leechers/seeders), I didn't use torrents too much in the past months, I was downloading using premium accounts (rapidgator & uploaded.net) - always at full speed/better then torrents, no need to worry about leechers bla bla...
- 80 ms to 110 ms to European servers
- I feel the ping needs some improvements to reach Ogero stability-although I have the static real IP ! (but in the existence of unlimited night....still IDM is the best deal for online gaming & heavy downloading)
- So far so good

Last edited by Abou7meed (December 18 2015)

#847 December 18 2015

NAM

Abou7meed wrote:
thepatcher wrote:

- this is my 3rd month (4MB/50GB) been getting 150 GB each month, with no problems or any FUP
- torrents speeds are normal (depends on leechers/seeders), I didn't use torrents too much in the past months, I was downloading using premium accounts (rapidgator & uploaded.net) - always at full speed/better then torrents, no need to worry about leechers bla bla...
- 80 ms to 110 ms to European servers
- I feel the ping needs some improvements to reach Ogero stability-although I have the static real IP ! (but in the existence of unlimited night....still IDM is the best deal for online gaming & heavy downloading)
- So far so good

Same thing here .. only i experience some times due to rush hours a slower internet cxn .. but nothing crippling.

#848 December 18 2015

thepatcher

I think I'm choosing Ogero 2M Unlimited over IDM 4M 15GB/25GB.
I need around 200-300GB a month and I've been told that Ogero is more stable and doesn't FUP at all.

#849 December 19 2015

AVOlio

Its totally worth the sacrifice!!
I have switched ISP's (DSL) three times! (Wise==>Sodetel==>Wise==>Ogero).
So i have been through this "1 month" without internet you speak of THREE times.
Even including a couple of the neighborhood internet dealers.

And once i got my hands on Ogero now, believe me, Its Totally worth it.

#850 December 19 2015

Georges00

Super Official wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

JUST switch to OGERO, and don't bother reading the previous pages of this thread.

We would, but 1 month without internet is hell

Get a 1 month cable

Board footer