LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#701 June 12 2015

Anthony2000

Re: Feedback for IDM

yes i did 2 days ago, but not a single cr#p was given lol

#702 June 23 2015

Anthony2000

2 weeks later after calling 2 times, no response and no calls whatsoever. i mean if i am getting 30-150 kbps speed (very extremely enormously hugely unstable speeds, usually faster at night, *usually*)  while i am subscribed to the 744 kbps(6mbit) plan (quite the difference) what speeds will i get if i subscribe to the 248 kbps (2mbit) plan? 0.001 kbps? i bet if i call tmrw they will tell me they are still looking into it like they told me two weeks ago. Any suggestions? + i am moving to my summer house in july for about 2-3 months, you guys think i should cancel my subscription to idm and switch to ogero before i leave(heard a lot of good feedback about Ogero in the feedback for Ogero thread)? that way they can take their time and i wouldn't mind since i wouldn't be home anyway. i am really getting sick of idm...

#703 June 24 2015

AVOlio

From what I have heard, IDM speeds and pings are good.
Similar to ogero.
But if it's not the case with you, then you said it.
Cancel the subscription while you're away, apply to ogero.
And again, note that ogero does not have free unlimited night quota, so you should opt for the 2Mbps unlimited.

#704 June 24 2015

haidcar

He is not alone. lots of people have similar problems, myself included.
Switching to Ogero ASAP

Last edited by haidcar (June 24 2015)

#705 June 24 2015

Anthony2000

any idea what it would cost to switch to ogero? like will they have to come and install anything or something like that?

#706 June 24 2015

user

You have to first cancel IDM, then apply to ogero as if you never had DSL. And pay for installation/router again. That is as far as I know.
You could have your current router reprogrammed by their tech support, but they have all these weird rules about it, like the tech support guy leaves work at 11 am(or something like that) and they act all snobby for basically just writing in a username and password. So I would skip the hassle, and just get them to get me a new router.

#707 June 24 2015

Anthony2000

okay new router then, any idea how much it would cost in total(router/installation)? thanks!

#708 June 24 2015

AVOlio

I suggest you call ogero support and ask all the details.
I would help you, but i forgot all the details when i applied.

#709 July 12 2015

anthonyf96

Has anyone connected to choueifat central received a 4mb+ upgrade?
Anyone has an idea when upgrades will be possible? because they have been telling me that they are working on the central for over a year...

#710 July 14 2015

Sup3r

This is where we part ways IDM.

So today as usual I consumed my 50gb quota before the end of the month I had 5 days left,  -as usual- I bought a re-charge card then loaded idm (buggy) website and when I tried to insert the user and password the server didn't respond and the request kept hanging on load without any response from the server. This was #1.

#2, I called idm on their support line, and after 1 hour of no one answering, I re-called on another (sales) phone number and got transferred to someone that told me about the new policy, in which if you consumed your quota before the end of 30 days. You can't recharge with a normal card. You'll have to buy a small recharge card 3$=2GB, and you basically just keep buying these "3$" to add 2gb's to your account until you don't have any days left, which if you don't want to load your visa card onto a buggy website, you're going to struggle finding them at retails(which I did) for 6000 LBP  NOT  3$, and you keep repeating this cycle till the end of your current month, and by then only you can recharge with a typical card.

Pure bullshit. At this point I just interrupted and asked: "How do I unsubscribe". And she was like "every internet service is doing this", to which I replied: Not ogero and hangup.

After asking around, only IDM & Cyberia seems to implement this. At first, they cut off unlimited night and now this. I'm going with Ogero. I don't know what they did to piss off the guys who hand them their quota, maybe DDOS ogero and get back your rights. don't f$%k up with your customers.

Last edited by Sup3r (July 14 2015)

#711 July 15 2015

eliminator

My neighbor is officially preparing a law suit against IDM, because of the way it provides the internet service. He says that his legal advisor found several loop wholes in IDM policy that they didn't properly fill, and that legally under the consumer protection law he can nail them. ( I tried reading the law but not my thing http://goo.gl/4lb1hE )
Whether he wins the law suit or not, if all the unsatisfied customers goes in for a law suit before using DDOS, I think the clients can actually change something, an ISP with a 100 law suit against him is not going to be happy with his reputation and thus will loose the corporate customers. A DDOS will only work once, a law suit will prevent IDM and the other ISPs from running a shady business.

Ah and ... the same neighbor told me that they actually can provide you with speeds limit up to 2mbps upload / 8 mbps download on the ADSL, even they always tell you they cannot (of course if your attenuation is reasonably good). It is just a matter of properly assigning which DSP at the beginning of the application. It turned out that all the ISPs have an excellent DSP backbone and the DSP provided by Ogero. They keep the clean DSP for the corporations that pays them a lot and they give normal customer the limited DSP.

Ironically we are back to an era where your local internet provider (The cable guy) is becoming once again the preferable solution. I suggest that you leave IDM get the lowest package from OGERO and get internet from the cable guy in your area, at least instead of DDOSng him you can pay him a visit on the roof tops with a pair of scissors if he doesn't give you what he promises  (jk)

#712 July 15 2015

m0ei

I'm having a similar problem with this shitty company. I'm subscribed to the 6mb/s plan, I started paying an extra $6.6 per month for the unlimited plan, it's understandable. BUT, charging for extra quota 3.3$ for each 2gb is a complete ripoff, last month the quota was consumed in 20 days, I had 10 days left. I contacted them telling them that, I need around 2gb per day, you want me to recharge online 10 TIMES for these 10 days? I screamed on the phone and the guy was like "Yep, that's the new policy". I contacted their sales asking them how to cancel my plan, because I'm not willing to go with all this trouble, they didn't bother replying. On the other hand, when I sent them an email informing them that I'm getting an error "Credit card blocked" every time I try to recharge, they replied the second day telling me to  "contact bank Audi and ask them why your credit card was blocked". WTF seriously? it's your fucking job to solve this issue, not mine.

#713 July 15 2015

NuclearVision

It's always been the case with other isps.
Just a suggestion, why don't you take the unlimited plan isn't it cheaper?

#714 July 15 2015

Silentcontrol

m0ei wrote:

I'm having a similar problem with this shitty company. I'm subscribed to the 6mb/s plan, I started paying an extra $6.6 per month for the unlimited plan, it's understandable. BUT, charging for extra quota 3.3$ for each 2gb is a complete ripoff, last month the quota was consumed in 20 days, I had 10 days left. I contacted them telling them that, I need around 2gb per day, you want me to recharge online 10 TIMES for these 10 days? I screamed on the phone and the guy was like "Yep, that's the new policy". I contacted their sales asking them how to cancel my plan, because I'm not willing to go with all this trouble, they didn't bother replying. On the other hand, when I sent them an email informing them that I'm getting an error "Credit card blocked" every time I try to recharge, they replied the second day telling me to  "contact bank Audi and ask them why your credit card was blocked". WTF seriously? it's your fucking job to solve this issue, not mine.

oh So i'm not alone same happened to me but i was 9 days left i recharged extra GB 3 or 4 times until my card got blocked and i ws told to ask my bank for the problem but i still can use my card anywhere else so no problems on my card.
and to add insult to injury as soon as they announced the new policy i called and ask they told me ( twice) that when my quota is done i still had the choice to recharge again or add extra traffic.
their customer service is terrible and this company is going down hill in every way.
And for the guys saying switch to ogero :- customer service is even worth
                                                            - the said my line doesn't support more than 2mb although i am on 6mb now and they wont give                  me more than the 2 saying i will lag and drop packets( not true now)
                                                             - finally the wait i will take u up to 2 month to switch witch makes no sense

Last edited by Silentcontrol (July 15 2015)

#715 July 15 2015

haidcar

Same problem here, only managed to buy extra credit twice, before getting blocked.
Now I have to buy those cards from shops!

IDM went from being the best ISP to one of the worst now!

#716 July 15 2015

Silentcontrol

haidcar wrote:

Same problem here, only managed to buy extra credit twice, before getting blocked.
Now I have to buy those cards from shops!

IDM went from being the best ISP to one of the worst now!

i approve all it took was a couple of month with those new policies and bad customer service

#717 July 17 2015

andrew55

eliminator wrote:

My neighbor is officially preparing a law suit against IDM, because of the way it provides the internet service. He says that his legal advisor found several loop wholes in IDM policy that they didn't properly fill, and that legally under the consumer protection law he can nail them. ( I tried reading the law but not my thing http://goo.gl/4lb1hE )
Whether he wins the law suit or not, if all the unsatisfied customers goes in for a law suit before using DDOS, I think the clients can actually change something, an ISP with a 100 law suit against him is not going to be happy with his reputation and thus will loose the corporate customers. A DDOS will only work once, a law suit will prevent IDM and the other ISPs from running a shady business.

Ah and ... the same neighbor told me that they actually can provide you with speeds limit up to 2mbps upload / 8 mbps download on the ADSL, even they always tell you they cannot (of course if your attenuation is reasonably good). It is just a matter of properly assigning which DSP at the beginning of the application. It turned out that all the ISPs have an excellent DSP backbone and the DSP provided by Ogero. They keep the clean DSP for the corporations that pays them a lot and they give normal customer the limited DSP.

Ironically we are back to an era where your local internet provider (The cable guy) is becoming once again the preferable solution. I suggest that you leave IDM get the lowest package from OGERO and get internet from the cable guy in your area, at least instead of DDOSng him you can pay him a visit on the roof tops with a pair of scissors if he doesn't give you what he promises  (jk)

In most COs, private ISPs and ogero are meeting a certain speed limit. For example, i am connected to a CO in the Byblos area and IDM won't give me more than 4096/512. If i move to Ogero the case would be the same. I can't seem to get speeds faster than that with any ISP.

#718 July 17 2015

eliminator

andrew55 wrote:

In most COs, private ISPs and ogero are meeting a certain speed limit. For example, i am connected to a CO in the Byblos area and IDM won't give me more than 4096/512. If i move to Ogero the case would be the same. I can't seem to get speeds faster than that with any ISP.

IDM can give you more speed, but they don't want to. ( Prerequisite: your attenuation and S/n values allow it )

The limit on the COs as far as I understand is from Ogero, so even when you ask a new ISP to give you more speed they won't because a normal client goes on the limited DSP.

As I said private ISPs have other backbone DSPs ( you can see a section (moukhassas lil2idara on the application form, where you usually neglect this section since it is something related to the ISPs administration, but it is in this section where they decided on which DSP you GO). I am totally sure that they can give you higher speeds if they move you onto the fast DSP. On the fast DSP they put their corporate customers. Check IDM's website they even have a dedicated email address for corporate support. So they clearly treat normal people as a class B customer, while the banks and corporation get the clean class A internet juice. Need more proof, check IDM's support number on true caller (or google's caller ID), it clearly state one of the banks names next to IDM.

Why I am sure? Because I had a contractual work with one of those companies ; ) who gets blazing speeds at their offices, while you and me wait for buffering at home

Want more evidence? If they can lie and tell you they can't give you high speeds, then you can lie also about opening a company and needing high speed ADSL. Go ahead call their technical support or client customer (not from the same number you have your ADSL on) and "ask for 8 mbps ADSL for your new startup" since you have only 3 employee you don't need SOHO and ADSL is fine and ask "I need to be present on the DSP where IDM provides higher speeds". You will be surprised on how much you can accomplish politely, with just a little bit of persistence and a talented twisted IQ ( Of course change the story because if they care a bit for their business they would probably monitor this thread no?! )

Last edited by eliminator (July 17 2015)

#719 July 17 2015

Sup3r

I appreciate the info, tho it sounds more like social engineering than "talented twisted IQ". What's the point if they're eventually going to know you're lying since you'll have to present your phone number in which you're going to apply the high speed. Where they'll know you're already subscribed with them.

#720 July 17 2015

eliminator

Sup3r wrote:

I appreciate the info, tho it sounds more like social engineering than "talented twisted IQ". What's the point if they're eventually going to know you're lying since you'll have to present your phone number in which you're going to apply the high speed. Where they'll know you're already subscribed with them.

Exactly "Social Engineering" but not many are familiar with the term. My point is proving that they can provide you high speed internet.

On another hand, when "andrew55" is paying money for 4Dn/1UP speed, and they are giving him 4DN/0.5UP, that means they are providing him with less than what he is paying for. That means when you go and buy 1 Kgs of rice for 1$, you expect to get a bag full of 1 Kg of rice. If you pay 1$ and get 0.75Kg of rice, this means the seller made a fraud, simply put he is stealing money from you. If you can prove that he is stealing, then you can sue him ( Ideally ).

Whether it is a bag of rice (goods) or an internet service (service) the consumer protection law is the same. And when you ask for 4DN/1UP if the ISP can provide it he must give it to you, he must put you on the fast DSP, and not on the slow one and blame it on technical difficulties.

In most cases the bandwidth is limited (by the ISP) and it is NOT that the copper wires that contributes to the drop. My telecom professor in university was an employee at OGERO and back then in 2009 (yeah 6 years ago) I still remember him saying copper wires are the least of our issues. That's what convinced me at the beginning to convince myself that high speeds are possible even with the current infrastructure, and turned out true.

#721 July 17 2015

andrew55

eliminator wrote:
andrew55 wrote:

IDM can give you more speed, but they don't want to. ( Prerequisite: your attenuation and S/n values allow it )

The limit on the COs as far as I understand is from Ogero, so even when you ask a new ISP to give you more speed they won't because a normal client goes on the limited DSP.

As I said private ISPs have other backbone DSPs ( you can see a section (moukhassas lil2idara on the application form, where you usually neglect this section since it is something related to the ISPs administration, but it is in this section where they decided on which DSP you GO). I am totally sure that they can give you higher speeds if they move you onto the fast DSP. On the fast DSP they put their corporate customers. Check IDM's website they even have a dedicated email address for corporate support. So they clearly treat normal people as a class B customer, while the banks and corporation get the clean class A internet juice. Need more proof, check IDM's support number on true caller (or google's caller ID), it clearly state one of the banks names next to IDM.

Why I am sure? Because I had a contractual work with one of those companies ; ) who gets blazing speeds at their offices, while you and me wait for buffering at home

Want more evidence? If they can lie and tell you they can't give you high speeds, then you can lie also about opening a company and needing high speed ADSL. Go ahead call their technical support or client customer (not from the same number you have your ADSL on) and "ask for 8 mbps ADSL for your new startup" since you have only 3 employee you don't need SOHO and ADSL is fine and ask "I need to be present on the DSP where IDM provides higher speeds". You will be surprised on how much you can accomplish politely, with just a little bit of persistence and a talented twisted IQ ( Of course change the story because if they care a bit for their business they would probably monitor this thread no?! )

So you're telling they are willing to get out of their to give you 8 Mbps just b/c you have a small company? and all of this happens at the same cost as regular residential subscriber? It would really make sense if only this service was exponentially more expensive than the 67 dollar residential 8 M!

Last edited by andrew55 (July 17 2015)

#722 July 17 2015

andrew55

eliminator wrote:
Sup3r wrote:

Exactly "Social Engineering" but not many are familiar with the term. My point is proving that they can provide you high speed internet.

On another hand, when "andrew55" is paying money for 4Dn/1UP speed, and they are giving him 4DN/0.5UP, that means they are providing him with less than what he is paying for. That means when you go and buy 1 Kgs of rice for 1$, you expect to get a bag full of 1 Kg of rice. If you pay 1$ and get 0.75Kg of rice, this means the seller made a fraud, simply put he is stealing money from you. If you can prove that he is stealing, then you can sue him ( Ideally ).

Whether it is a bag of rice (goods) or an internet service (service) the consumer protection law is the same. And when you ask for 4DN/1UP if the ISP can provide it he must give it to you, he must put you on the fast DSP, and not on the slow one and blame it on technical difficulties.

In most cases the bandwidth is limited (by the ISP) and it is NOT that the copper wires that contributes to the drop. My telecom professor in university was an employee at OGERO and back then in 2009 (yeah 6 years ago) I still remember him saying copper wires are the least of our issues. That's what convinced me at the beginning to convince myself that high speeds are possible even with the current infrastructure, and turned out true.

Agreed. I think we can benefit from the full scope of the ADSL2+ technology. Ideally subscribers who have decent Att/SNr values should be getting full up/down speed (24/1.3) with the present copper wires.

#723 July 17 2015

eliminator

andrew55 wrote:

So you're telling they are willing to get out of their to give you 8 Mbps just b/c you have a small company? and all of this happens at the same cost as regular residential subscriber? It would really make sense if only this service was exponentially more expensive than the 67 dollar residential 8 M!

I didn't quite get you in the last comment.
I mentioned the small company under the example.

What I mean, you should be able to get any ADSL speed/package you want, as a normal client,  and they are not providing it because simple put you are not a priority for them or for other ISPs. ( of course having proper attenuation and S/N values)

#724 July 17 2015

andrew55

eliminator wrote:
andrew55 wrote:

I didn't quite get you in the last comment.
I mentioned the small company under the example.

What I mean, you should be able to get any ADSL speed/package you want, as a normal client,  and they are not providing it because simple put you are not a priority for them or for other ISPs. ( of course having proper attenuation and S/N values)

Yes I understand that point. The priority part has to be related to how much money is being paid. It would make sense to make a customer priority if that customer is paying premium dollar. So someone who wants to have ADSL for a business must be paying a lot. A manager of one of the "Second Cup" places told me that his business pays A LOT for internet a month (> $ 500 a month) and he wasn't getting 8 Mbps. So I guess you can get 8 Mbps but only if you paid A LOT per month and not just $ 67.

Last edited by andrew55 (July 18 2015)

#725 August 12 2015

NAM

Has anyone felt a speed restriction on youtube on IDM ? i have the 4MBps  plan and i used to  watch 1080 videos without buffering (on chrome, windows 8.1) three to four days ago i am noticing that videos are by default going 360 and require buffering sometimes :S (chrome, win 10)  needless to say the higher resolutions have to buffer longer.
Anyone having this problem?

Board footer