LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#626 April 6 2015

NAM

Re: Feedback for IDM

anthonyf96 wrote:

any way to check that? whenever i call IDM they tell me that it s a "central" problem which i think it s a lie. Whenever i have a problem they blame the central. WELL shouldn't a central be fixed in more than 7 months?! They could have built like 10 centrals by this amount of time...

1)If every ISP blames the central that means "we" are sharing internet "as in all ISP subscribers in your area" from the same central so subsequently all subscribers to that central should feel the same congestion. try asking any neighbor if they have the same problem "preferably ogero subscriber"

2)another possibility is that IDM is true to their word but the central has outdated equipment "or tampered to favor Ogero subscribers in rush hours" this creating congestion to your line.

3)last scenario the cable going from central to your home is 1900 years old "as usual" and you should consult ogero to change it

In any scenario keep calling IDM and complaining every other day and they will open a disclaimer after many calls, they should look into it

Last edited by NAM (April 6 2015)

#627 April 7 2015

anthonyf96

NAM wrote:
anthonyf96 wrote:

any way to check that? whenever i call IDM they tell me that it s a "central" problem which i think it s a lie. Whenever i have a problem they blame the central. WELL shouldn't a central be fixed in more than 7 months?! They could have built like 10 centrals by this amount of time...

1)If every ISP blames the central that means "we" are sharing internet "as in all ISP subscribers in your area" from the same central so subsequently all subscribers to that central should feel the same congestion. try asking any neighbor if they have the same problem "preferably ogero subscriber"

2)another possibility is that IDM is true to their word but the central has outdated equipment "or tampered to favor Ogero subscribers in rush hours" this creating congestion to your line.

3)last scenario the cable going from central to your home is 1900 years old "as usual" and you should consult ogero to change it

In any scenario keep calling IDM and complaining every other day and they will open a disclaimer after many calls, they should look into it

It s most probably the second scenario since at daytime i have full speed (not even -15%) which means that cables are fine. Moreover my IDM neighbor has the same problem while my Ogero one isn't that much affected.

#628 April 7 2015

kfc

Idm just told me that free night traffic will be cancelled starting next may

#629 April 7 2015

arzleb

ISP are already linked by fiber optic connection problem between Central and Home will never be solved unsless fiber to the home is introduced.

As of next month most ISPs will remove the unlimited night, unless OGERO really opens the bandwidth the situation will remain status co.

#630 April 7 2015

random-username

arzleb wrote:

ISP are already linked by fiber optic connection problem between Central and Home will never be solved unsless fiber to the home is introduced.

As of next month most ISPs will remove the unlimited night, unless OGERO really opens the bandwidth the situation will remain status co.

Excuse my ignorance, but why don't they setup cat5 cables from the CO to homes like the local cable internet guys? Of course there would be some speed loss, but it's a fraction of the loss incurred by aging copper wires and a fraction of the cost of fiber.

Last edited by random-username (April 7 2015)

#631 April 7 2015

haidcar

One word, Attenuation.

The COs are usually 500-5 KM away from houses. you can only strech CAT5e 100m before needing a repeater.
the copper lines used now carry signals far better than cat5e or 6.

#632 April 7 2015

random-username

haidcar wrote:

One word, Attenuation.

The COs are usually 500-5 KM away from houses. you can only strech CAT5e 100m before needing a repeater.
the copper lines used now carry signals far better than cat5e or 6.

That doesn't seem to be an issue for the local cable internet providers; they have repeaters on every building. Why not setup "sub-CO's" in each district/area connected via fiber to the CO's and use cat5 cables+repeaters from these sub-CO's to deliver high-speed internet to households.

I also stumbled upon this TechCrunch article which claimed:

Youssef, the head of the public-private organisation (OGERO, set up by the late Rafik Hariri) has blocked the utilisation and distribution of the IMEWE and other cables that have been hooked up.
As of today, less than 10% of the available capacity of the already operational Internet cables is made available to the market. It’s scandal which ought to have those at the highest levels of government fuming with anger.
Even former Telecommunications Minister Nicolas Sehnaoui estimates it would take only a year to organise fibre to the Home to every Lebanese citizen. If they could just connect up the IMEWE.
The finger has therefore been pointed at Ogero, run by Youssef. The company is responsible for distributing the boosted Internet capacity enjoyed from the IMEWE to different Internet service providers as well as building the network. It also sells internet access direct to consumers. But, in a bizarre twist, Ogero’s chairman is not only the state regulator of the telecommunication industry, but also in charge of Ogero itself.
So the body charged with widen gin broadband internet, is directly hindering the development of Lebanon’s internet economy and ultimately the development of the country.

#633 April 7 2015

haidcar

your local cable guy, covers anywhere from 20-100 buildings with CAT5e. COs cover a way larger geographical area, it wouldn't be impossible however it would be largely unfeasible, and inefficient way to distribute. you would have a cable for IDM, Ogero, Cyberia...
and repeaters for each.

Poblems start with Ogero, and that guy Abed el monem Youssef, he is the source of most problems that Lebanon is currently facing regarding our internet.

#634 April 7 2015

random-username

haidcar wrote:

your local cable guy, covers anywhere from 20-100 buildings with CAT5e. COs cover a way larger geographical area, it wouldn't be impossible however it would be largely unfeasible, and inefficient way to distribute. you would have a cable for IDM, Ogero, Cyberia...
and repeaters for each.

Poblems start with Ogero, and that guy Abed el monem Youssef, he is the source of most problems that Lebanon is currently facing regarding our internet.

The only solution I can think of is breaking the Ogero monopoly; which allows the private ISP's to compete. And if increasing the speed isn't feasible, at least they can improve the download limit, bundles, offers...etc. I'm not saying that private ISP's are eager to compete; they're really comfortable with their own little oligopoly, but once the barriers of entry and the government-set plans are abolished they'll have to improve.

I'm speechless to how Lebanese citizens are still putting up with this crap, but then again they have bigger problems to worry about.

#635 April 8 2015

mokhtar

I think the only people or organisations that can put some pressure on Ogero to act in the best interest of the consumers are the Banks, and Venture Capitalists who are now investing in local startups. If they want to protect their interests and investments, they need to make sure fast internet is available not only to startup incubator offices and digital parks, but also for the rest of us.

Lebanon does really have a potential to be a great technology hub. We have all the elements for success: talented, smart, energetic and educated entrepreneurial people. The will to survive and grow. Capital, investors, and experienced business men that can share their expertise.

The main thing missing is a fast and reliable internet infrastructure! (come to think of it 24/7 electricity supply would be nice too)

Creating new business, work and job opportunities is the only way
to solve the "bigger problems" we are all worried about - as random-user delicately puts it ;)

#636 April 8 2015

anthonyf96

Before even thinking about the upgrades they should fix what is currently damaged. Yesterday i called customer care and apparently i m linked to shoueifat central which isnt able to give upgrades. This is becoming frustrating since this central  was getting "fixed" for more than 8 months. I mean come on... 8 months to fix a central... I doubt they are even looking forward to fix it. I personnlay lost hope.
Plus they dont have a clue about when the fix will be done

#637 April 10 2015

Red7

Did you see the latest news ?
Night traffic is no longer free.

#638 April 10 2015

Anthony2000

I thought it would stop being free by may, not 20 days before... well at least better speeds at night i guess, we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Anthony2000 (April 10 2015)

#639 April 12 2015

H.S

Connection seems too good for the first time in weeks. Also I've never got that ping to the Beirut server! If it stays like that, I can tolerate the removal of free night quota, but I highly doubt it.
4283864136.png

Last edited by H.S (April 12 2015)

#640 April 17 2015

raichu

Anyone with IDM experiencing bizarre speed drops these last 2 days?
I have a superstable 4M connection. I'm getting erratic speeds these yesterday and today and IDM guys aren't even answering their phone. :mad:

#641 April 17 2015

NAM

raichu wrote:

Anyone with IDM experiencing bizarre speed drops these last 2 days?
I have a superstable 4M connection. I'm getting erratic speeds these yesterday and today and IDM guys aren't even answering their phone. :mad:

Same here  .. specially when i'm playing CSgo .. the ping just wildly fluctuates and then disconnects after a 10-15 minute session

#642 April 29 2015

Sup3r

Can I play CSgo with this speed?

4325031340.png

Last edited by Sup3r (April 29 2015)

#643 April 29 2015

ironman

Sup3r wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4325031340.png

We can't judge since this is the ping to Beirut, and 99% of CSGO's servers are in europe (Luxembourg),
in order to play csgo smoothly, you need a max ping of 130 ms.

Good luck.

#644 April 29 2015

anthonyf96

Sup3r wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4325031340.png

The only way you can play CS:GO with this speed is if you are the only one using internet. Otherwise any browsing or streaming will make your ping hit up to 1000 and you won't enjoy it at all .

#645 April 30 2015

rtp

was IDM down yesterday ?

#646 April 30 2015

NAM

rtp wrote:

was IDM down yesterday ?

i was online from 29-04  9pm till 30-04 5am .. downloaded and installed gta v hopefully before the night quota is charged

#647 May 1 2015

wollyka

The refill page is ongoing maintenance it seems. I want to refill my subscription (using my CC) and i can't do it now! Great !!

#648 May 2 2015

thephoenician

I subscribed to IDM 3 months ago but they sent me my L number and password 2 days ago... So I tried connecting the modem with all the possible ways (with and without a splitter, tried 2 different modems..) but it never synchronized so Icalled IDM support they told me that the problem might be on Ogero's end...
Anyone faced that before?

#649 May 2 2015

NAM

thephoenician wrote:

I subscribed to IDM 3 months ago but they sent me my L number and password 2 days ago... So I tried connecting the modem with all the possible ways (with and without a splitter, tried 2 different modems..) but it never synchronized so Icalled IDM support they told me that the problem might be on Ogero's end...

i Set my router up and never had the problem .. but i remember that when they sent me the username and password they told me to wait 2 days for activation .. but just in case how are you setting your router up ? and what kind of router did they get you ?

#650 May 2 2015

thephoenician

NAM wrote:
thephoenician wrote:

i Set my router up and never had the problem .. but i remember that when they sent me the username and password they told me to wait 2 days for activation .. but just in case how are you setting your router up ? and what kind of router did they get you ?

I tried Technicolor and an old Thomson, but as I know it doesn't matter how you configure it, the broadband or DSL light should stay lit up when connected to a land-line with active DSL.

Board footer