LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 April 20 2015

xdrone

Re: Shipping from abroad (share your experience)

Sup3r wrote:

DHL lost my shipment that was coming through borderLinx,and they offered a refund that is going to take 1 month for them to contact their insurance company. What a fu*ked up situation.

Hey man, same thing happened with me. Shipment booked on 31-March-2015 to ship to Lebanon.
This is my first venture to attempt to make a future for myself.
I bought some lab equipment. Expensive stuff.
Now DHL tells me shipment is lost.
How often does that happen with DHL?
This money is critical for me, I can't spend money like that and not have return on it.
I am a poor man.

#127 April 20 2015

m0ei

Been ordering with Aramex Shop and Ship for the past year, best service ever, and unlike the rest they DO NOT SCAM.

It's funny how most Lebanese stick to Borderlinx because it's free to sign up, even though you pay more per shipment, no tracking, shipment is slow compared to Aramex and of course the well known history of DHL Lebanon, biggest scammers and rippers.

#128 April 20 2015

Johnaudi

m0ei wrote:

Been ordering with Aramex Shop and Ship for the past year, best service ever, and unlike the rest they DO NOT SCAM.

It's funny how most Lebanese stick to Borderlinx because it's free to sign up, even though you pay more per shipment, no tracking, shipment is slow compared to Aramex and of course the well known history of DHL Lebanon, biggest scammers and rippers.

Not really, I shipped several times from Borderlinx and I can assure you they're reliable and their support is quite responsive.

#129 April 20 2015

Aly

I have both shopandship and Borderlinx account, but I always use and prefer Borderlinx because:
1- My Aramex address is in Springfield  NY, there is always taxes added to my cart when i choose my aramex address, while all my shipment to Dayton OH are tax free.
2- Borderlinx consolidate your items and you ship them all together, while Aramex ship your items seperatly as soon as they arrive and you end up paying too much fees.

#130 April 21 2015

xdrone

So to put my heart at ease, is this a singular event or shall we expect future disruptions in shipping and losing our sanctification as customers? I mean, it is not usual for air-freight to be misplaced as a whole since cargo storage and hangars and prohibited to general public and allow entry to only few staff members. Well, cargo can be temporarily misplaced not lost as in this case. Point-to-point cargo has nowhere to be other than in plane or in storage. Unless lost in Lebanon's customs storage before clearance. That area is loose, anything can happen. However, to be fair, I haven't had any incidences related to customs before and I do ship a lot.

#131 April 21 2015

m0ei

Aly wrote:

I have both shopandship and Borderlinx account, but I always use and prefer Borderlinx because:
1- My Aramex address is in Springfield  NY, there is always taxes added to my cart when i choose my aramex address, while all my shipment to Dayton OH are tax free.
2- Borderlinx consolidate your items and you ship them all together, while Aramex ship your items seperatly as soon as they arrive and you end up paying too much fees.

Aramex can send you the Airway bill proof, you can email it to Amazon for example and they'll refund you the tax. I've been doing it since forever.

#132 April 21 2015

thetruth

First Online Shopping Experience:
I ordered a practice chanter once from Henderson Group Ltd from the US...product cost 96$, shipping was for 35$(Priority Mail International) , and the our lovely Lebanese Customs charged 40,000LL which was fair I guess but I mean there were meaningless things they charged me for in addition to the 10% VAT,.(I think I discarded the customs receipt). Overall, the process was decent and if I recall took 21-25 days in total.

Second:
After I had managed to setup a Paypal account using Entropay, I ordered a cheap 3$ phone repair toolkit on Ebay from Beijing China to try my new account. It was shipped for free using Standard International shipping. When I didn't receive my item after the 40 day marker, I contacted the seller (Chinese sellers have some kind of phobia regarding negative ratings) and demanded a refund (I am cheap) which he promptly agreed to on condition that I repay him once I receive it and the refund reached my Paypal account. I eventually checked my PO.Box after 3 months (LOL) and found the item (NO CUSTOMS FEES were charged) and eventually repaid the good lad.

Third 
A day after ordering the item above, I ordered an HTC One X full screen for 30$ shipped for free using Standard International Shipping also from China...The item arrived about 38 days later, NO CUSTOM FEES where charged and the screen worked perfectly but I couldn't get to completely attach it to my phone so i took it to HTC Solutions where the guy laughed at the adhesive I used to hold the screen in place which was pretty decent. He eventually got it working perfectly, assembled the phone and applied a SHITTY adhesive. Less than 3 months later the screen got detached and the LCD cable tore 

Fourth: Ordered some stuff from china and waiting for them to be delievered 

Sorry for the excessive details  you are free to contact me if you have any quesions !

#133 May 1 2015

xdrone

Update:

DHL found lost shipment and waived shipping charge as a token of good faith.
Volumetric was 66KG and estimated cost was 800+USD, weighted cost was 544USD which I didn't have to pay of course.

DHL honored the code of good business.
That is all I need from a good service.

#134 May 2 2015

AVOlio

@xdrone
The value of the item was 800$.
And the value of the shipping charges were 544$. And you didn't have to pay that anymore?
Just WoW. Im impressed.

But on the other hand..
I pity the employee of which they cut that amount from Hi salary .

#135 May 2 2015

Johnaudi

AVOlio wrote:

@xdrone
And the value of the shipping charges were 544$. And you didn't have to pay that anymore?
Just WoW. Im impressed.

But on the other hand..

I'm not surprised it's 544$ for shipping - 66KG of cargo is expensive.

#136 May 2 2015

xdrone

AVOlio wrote:

@xdrone
Just WoW. Im impressed.

But on the other hand..

Only in a dictatorship that would happen.
I hope that didn't end up this way.

BTW: items cost were 1500USD..
Electronic lab equipments.

#137 May 2 2015

xdrone

End Result $22 starting price for every kilo then price drops gradually.
I estimated price per kilo would drop down to 12 as I kept adding items.
And that was what I ended up doing.
After items arrived here, and after DHL recalculated the weights, they informed me it was $544 shipping cost.

Only good experience I can gather from this matter would be that DHL and easyshop can be trusted to deliver.
Adding to the shipment lowers your $/KG shipping cost.
Most importantly, keep your budget to $1500 or lower, because any higher, customs have different rules for clearing your items, which means longer duration until delivery.

#138 June 3 2015

nas93

Hey guys, does anyone know what this means? Is the shipment at DHL hong kong? If so when will it arrive? Or it hasn't been picked up yet
Shipment information received
Tuesday, June 02, 2015 at 10:34
Origin Service Area:
HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Destination Service Area:
BEIRUT - BEIRUT - LEBANON

#139 June 3 2015

Georges00

I order from the USA.
Once I used FedEx,  package had an invoice of 140$ -  got 14$ tva
I also used USPS once and my order was shipped to LibanPost,  it was worth 460$ but didnt see anything on it,  no customs to pay.
I have an order to pick up tomorrow from LibanPost with USPS.  Will give more info when I get it.
Weird.

#140 June 3 2015

NuclearVision

Do you go to the airport to pay customs?

#141 June 3 2015

Georges00

NuclearVision wrote:

Do you go to the airport to pay customs?

No,  payed them at FedEx

#142 June 3 2015

AVOlio

@Georges00
please explain more about the way you buy/ship stuff like this, from where? how?

#143 June 3 2015

Georges00

AVOlio wrote:

@Georges00
please explain more about the way you buy/ship stuff like this, from where? how?

I used sites with worldwide shipping,  one that offered USPS for shipping and the other FedEx.
Just normal sites that ships directly to Lebanon using FedEx,  UPS,  USPS  whatever
I usually type in the city's name as my address,  it wi get shipped to libanpost then I would keep checking on their site till it arrives Lebanon. After I see it,  I call them check everything then go pick it up since they cant keep it for more than like 2 days since it's from the US or they have to send it back.
PS: Sites sell special stuff like wallets OR clothes,  they are not like AliExpress that sells everything...  Just custom brands

#144 June 4 2015

Georges00

Picked up my order from LibanPost shipped with USPS,  no customs to pay.

#145 June 4 2015

NuclearVision

Are your orders less than 50$?
This is why usually there are no customs.

Last edited by NuclearVision (June 4 2015)

#146 June 4 2015

Georges00

NuclearVision wrote:

It was 140$ but I think the package had a 50 on it not sure why

#147 June 4 2015

chosen2k

Anyone knows someone who can give me some information regarding importing an air rifle SCOPE from USA?

Scope in question: Hawke Sport Optics Sidewinder 30 8-32x56

#148 June 4 2015

NuclearVision

Georges00 wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

It was 140$ but I think the package had a 50 on it not sure why

In fact, you should have asked for it, when you buy something from abroad let them add a price tag of less than 50$, customs then, are not applicable.

#149 June 4 2015

NuclearVision

chosen2k wrote:

Anyone knows someone who can give me some information regarding importing an air rifle SCOPE from USA?

Scope in question: Hawke Sport Optics Sidewinder 30 8-32x56

As long as it is not harmful, i guess it is ok.
Try to contact dhl, or if you have somebody in usa, ask him to ship it for you, there are people who do that for living. Search online.
But you never know when lebanese officers decide to mark it as illegal or charge you for importing it.
What rifle do you use by the way?

#150 June 4 2015

chosen2k

I have someone to ship it. However I've been told that customs might be a problem. What I need is an official document/proof that clearly marks if I can get it or not.

Asking DHL might be the best idea
[Edit --> Asked them, here's the info I got: When it gets to Lebanon DHL will hand me a paper, and then It will be my responsibility to get an "approval" from the Ministry of Defense وزارة الدفاع in order to release the items from the customs. If I fail at getting this approval the outcome might be:
1- DHL will try to resend the scope at the shippers expense (If customs allow it?).
2- If option 1 fails they will destroy the package. ]

I have a Kalibrgun Cricket .177

Last edited by chosen2k (June 4 2015)

Board footer