LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#226 January 3 2016

NAM

Re: Shipping from abroad (share your experience)

Aly wrote:
Techlover wrote:
m0ei wrote:

Just a small note, ebay no longer requires payments via paypal.. Now you can use your credit/debit card directly without having a paypal account.

How ? I checked . It still requires paypal on every order :(

Didnt work for me as well.
On ebay.com, checking out from my account there is no credit card option, only paypal.
Also on ebay.com my friend's account had the credit card option we tried 2 lebanese credit cards and they were both rejected.
Anyone had any success with a lebaneae credit card on ebay ?

tried to buy something .. while there is an option for buying with a credit card .. lebanon is not in the list of countries allowed for this option (and for how long that list was .. maybe the only one not allowed) .. this option was introduced for people with no paypal access to buy from ebay .. but not lebanon

#227 January 4 2016

Aly

Then, this turned to be useless for Lebanese :(

#228 January 6 2016

thepatcher

Guys, I've ordered an item from AliExpress and it says this on mtytrack.com:

2016-01-06 15:15:05     Your parcel is delivering right now
2015-12-31 15:04:03     Your parcel arrives in destination country, please wait for dispatch in your local post office
2015-12-28 14:48:13     Your parcel arrives Airport Terminal Processing Center
2015-12-27 14:37:06     Your parcel is in the process of international dispatch, please wait patiently
2015-12-23 12:29:28     Your Parcel arrives in the Post Office Processing and Sorting Center waiting for sorting
2015-12-21 22:36:32     Your order has been shipped out
2015-12-21 21:02:31     Your order has been picked up and packed in our warehouse ready for shipping
2015-12-21 17:17:15     Your order has been printed out
2015-12-19 23:32:58     Your order is processing right now
2015-12-19 07:14:54     Your order has been submitted, please wait for our system to confirm

Does "delivering" means it's available at the nearest libanpost or what?

#229 January 6 2016

AVOlio

Your best option is to track it in libanpost website.
If "no data found" call Libapost.

#230 January 21 2016

El-Magnifico

Guys,
I'm planning on ordering a couple of chandeliers from Aliexpress. The wrapping box is a bit big. I'm planning on using DHL shipping instead of the normal shipping which takes 2 months to get here.
I'm a bit worried about the customs here. Has anybody ordered a package that big ? How is custom calculated ? Do you recommend DHL or any other fast courier such as UPS or are they all the same? Would like to hear from you any previous or similar experiences.
Thanks

#231 January 21 2016

AVOlio

El-magnifico
Regarding the pricing of the courier (DHL-UPS), you will pay it directly to the seller.
But as you said,your concern will regard the customs,
From what i know, if your items are less than 200k LBP i dont think they will charge you with anything.
Although seeing that its DHL or UPS, they might take customs clearance fees, and if they do take that, i have no doubt that the customs will hesitate to make you pay tax and such also even though their value is less than 200k lbp.

So i would prepare an amount of money on the side for this reason if i was you.

#232 January 21 2016

Georges00

I ordered a small package with UPS once.
Cost 150$
They wanted 70$ for customs
Rip off.

#233 January 22 2016

El-Magnifico

@AVOlio
I can talk to the seller in China and ask him to provide a lower value invoice, since the chandeliers are > 200k LBP.
But if I decide to use the normal shipping procedure (which takes up to 2 months), will that spare me the additional fees that DHL or UPS might charge ?

@Georges00
The problem is there's no clear document on the charges you may expect. I think it all depends on that customs employee and whatever rolls into his mind. He can just add any taxes he wants and that's what worries me. I wish there was a clear scale so to know what to expect. A rip off ? Of course, and what would you expect from a place ruled by crooks. I bet those 70$ went to his pocket.

#234 March 17 2016

thegodfatherdany

Hello. I am planning to buy a perfume from fragrancex.com since what i am looking for is not available here. Seller ships with DHL or USPS Express. I just would like to know if someone previously ordered such item and how did it go with the procedure and fees upon handling. Thank you in advance.

#235 March 25 2016

Thrax

thegodfatherdany wrote:

Hello. I am planning to buy a perfume from fragrancex.com since what i am looking for is not available here. Seller ships with DHL or USPS Express. I just would like to know if someone previously ordered such item and how did it go with the procedure and fees upon handling. Thank you in advance.

It's best to contact UPS/DHL Lebanon via email and inquire accordingly. They can send you a sample-bill of how much you'd need to pay in total. For some reason the Borderlinx calculator is saying that perfumes may not be shipped by them to Lebanon. Maybe UPS/DHL are more flexible, because I know for a fact that they can since I've been delivered perfume as a gift. From Washington DC to be exact (it wasn't obama smh.)

What I've learned is that it's always, ALWAYS best to just have somebody bring it over with them. But then again... ما حدا لحدا. Email UPS/DHL.

#236 March 26 2016

Thrax

On a side note, can anyone confirm or deny whether or not it's possible to have high voltage electronics in your luggage? EU regulations might be a bit pesky.

I might ask a friend flying here from Greece to grab me [visionstudio DOT gr/prodinfo.asp?id=41511&cat=17] which is a really good PSU (XFX 750W TS3X).

#237 March 28 2016

Jerome

Is it just me or are orders from china shipping really fast at the moment? I've had 3 orders from aliexpress shipped and delivered to my house in 20-25 days. All small electronics and with free shipping.

#238 March 28 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Jerome wrote:

Is it just me or are orders from china shipping really fast at the moment? I've had 3 orders from aliexpress shipped and delivered to my house in 20-25 days. All small electronics and with free shipping.

Good to hear as I am waiting for my stuff from AE now.

About Lebanese Customs: If you buy from a US shop and choose US Mail instead of fast courriers like DHL and UPS, does that mean it will be delivered by Libanpost and so I won't have to pay customs fees?

#239 March 28 2016

Georges00

vegetaleb wrote:
Jerome wrote:

About Lebanese Customs: If you buy from a US shop and choose US Mail instead of fast courriers like DHL and UPS, does that mean it will be delivered by Libanpost and so I won't have to pay customs fees?

Libanpost: Yes
Custom fees: Gamble

#240 March 28 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Georges00 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I thought anything coming to Libanpost is free of customs, no?

#241 March 29 2016

Georges00

vegetaleb wrote:
Georges00 wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

I thought anything coming to Libanpost is free of customs, no?

Not exactly. I have no idea how people at customs think.
They evaluate your item themself. If the package is big they assume it's expensive and tax it. Small packages with value less than 200,000LL are usually free from customs.

#242 March 29 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Damn! So I can't bring buy a Moto 360 1st gen at 170$, it will be over 200000LL by little

#243 March 29 2016

LifeEngineer

vegetaleb wrote:

Damn! So I can't bring buy a Moto 360 1st gen at 170$, it will be over 200000LL by little

First I already have the moto 360 1st gen and I can recommend you to get the 2nd gen in case you can afford it. My friend has it. It has better battery life by miles and much smoother and faster. The 1st gen is nice, don't get me wrong, but won't satisfy geeks like us.

Second, I already got away with 3 cellphones from Aliexpress, the cheapest being at 220 and the most expensive at 300$.
Never paid anything as tax/custom fees.

#244 March 29 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

LifeEngineer wrote:
vegetaleb wrote:

First I already have the moto 360 1st gen and I can recommend you to get the 2nd gen in case you can afford it. My friend has it. It has better battery life by miles and much smoother and faster. The 1st gen is nice, don't get me wrong, but won't satisfy geeks like us.

Second, I already got away with 3 cellphones from Aliexpress, the cheapest being at 220 and the most expensive at 300$.
Never paid anything as tax/custom fees.

I want the 1st gen because of the Led screen being better for contrast than the LCD, and of course the price is much sweeter.
I don't have 3G/4G I find it useless while I pay ADSL Wifi, how big is the impact on this android watch apart google now?

Last edited by vegetaleb (March 29 2016)

#245 April 7 2016

vegetaleb
Banned

Anyone has found a way to buy from BestBuy with a Lebanese prepaid card?
They are too ''racist'' with their US and Canadian cards only policy :(

#246 April 7 2016

xazbrat

vegetaleb wrote:

Anyone has found a way to buy from BestBuy with a Lebanese prepaid card?
They are too ''racist'' with their US and Canadian cards only policy :(

This may work---buy a best buy gift card from amazon or elsewhere and use that to make your purchase.  That should be easily doable and probably could be applied to other 'racist' vendors.

#247 May 4 2016

dp0001

Hey everyone,

looking to get a core i5 6600k from newegg, in the US

does anyone have experience on customs here in leb on a cpu?

#248 May 4 2016

hkbazzi

just 10% VAT....mafrood

#249 May 7 2016

bermudapineapple

I ordered a laptop and a laptop bag from Amazon in the US through Borderlinx.

I paid Amazon, in total, around $1940 on the 15th of April.

The items were released on the 22nd of April from Borderlinx. They arrived in Lebanon on the 28th of April.

I provided clearance documents on the 30th of April and the products were delivered yesterday, the 6th of May.

In total, it took 21 days for my shipment to arrive from the day I purchased them off Amazon. Not too bad.

I bet you are wondering about the shipping/customs charges. I hope you are sitting down.

For customs, I paid $226. Combined with freight charges, clearance charges, delivery charges, and a couple smaller charges (such as stamp and insurance charges), I paid a total of $495 at the door.

Yes, I was shitting myself. I was expecting something around 200 to 300 dollars at most, so this truly was a surprise. I made sure to test both products and all were working fine, thankfully. Had something been wrong with the laptop, forcing me to return it at these extortionate prices, I would definitely have flipped.

Advice: Purchasing high-value items through any of these services that act as the middle-man is HIGHLY RISKY AND COSTLY. I would NOT RECOMMEND it unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: I just want to add that had I purchased a laptop with similar specifications in Lebanon, I would be paying around $2800-$3200. So even with the rip off delivery charges, I still SAVED money. Go fucking figure.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (May 7 2016)

#250 May 7 2016

mmk92

@tt400 which laptop did you get?

I've been thinking of shipping either an XPS15 or a Razer Blade Stealth.

Board footer