LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 April 11 2013

yasamoka

Re: Guide to overclocking

It's mostly a matter of your taste for fireworks

#27 April 11 2013

Opeth

elie212 wrote:
yasamoka wrote:
elie212 wrote:

Amazing Guide !!

I have an Intel X79SI + Intel i7 3930K and thinking of overclocking soon!!

Will definitely use this guide !!

10x guys !!

Do NOT overclock on that intel DX79SI! You have been warned!

Someone already told me that but can you tell me why is that ??

It will most probably fry.

#28 June 16 2013

yasamoka

A modest overclock is a free overclock. Why are we talking about laptops here?

#29 November 25 2013

bermudapineapple

This is a really good guide but shouldn't it be mentioned the overclocking any type of hardware generally reduces the lifespan of the piece, especially when introducting raising the volatage? I understand that most people buy new computers before the hardware has enough time to die, but for a person that's looking to keep their CPU, for example, for 8 or 10 years, overclocking their CPU can decrease its lifespan to 3 or 4 years.

#30 July 30 2014

Ramnesia

Hello! Guys, why is this thread dead? No new overclockers these days? I started overclocking my i7-3770K and everything is going well.

#31 September 16 2014

MrElie

can this thread be a bit updated? i have Devil's Canyon 4790K and i need help overclocking

#32 May 10 2016

Shlagem

Hello Hope this thread is still being checked regularly.

I have the following specs

GA-P55-USB3L
i7 870
16GB Rams
Hydro cooling
250GB Boot drive
3TB Storage
PSU 650W

My system has been overhauld recently with a new inclosure and additional rams and a AIO cooler. some would see this is as a waste of money. I did it so i can upgrade the vital hardware later for now is this still decent? can I overclock my cpu?
Where can i find such info? do you recommend it?

#33 June 17 2016

anayman_k7

Shlagem wrote:

Hello Hope this thread is still being checked regularly.

I have the following specs

GA-P55-USB3L
i7 870
16GB Rams
Hydro cooling
250GB Boot drive
3TB Storage
PSU 650W

My system has been overhauld recently with a new inclosure and additional rams and a AIO cooler. some would see this is as a waste of money. I did it so i can upgrade the vital hardware later for now is this still decent? can I overclock my cpu?
Where can i find such info? do you recommend it?

I did some quick search and found this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFiRA5i1Fc0
To be honest I didn't watch the video, good luck :)

#34 June 17 2016

anayman_k7

Overclocking the i5 4670k,

Recently I obtained an i5 4670k and I did overclock it so here is the details,

Setup:
- CPU: i5 4670k
- MOBO: MSI Z97-G45
- Cooler: Hyper212 Evo
- RAM: 2x2GB 1600mhz + 2x4GB 1333mhz
- PSU: Gigabyte Odin 1200w
- VGA: MSI R9 380 Gaming 2GB GDDR5
- Case: InWin Mana 137 (3 intake fans, 2 exhaust)

Stress Apps: Aida64 and Intel Burn Test

1- I wanted to set an OC basic reading so I left everything on Auto then I increase the multiplier to 42 (4.2Ghz), on stress test the vcore voltage was moving between 1.27v to 1.3v and temps were around 75C in Aida64 (room temp around 26C) and 85C in IBT.
2- I left all settings on auto then increased multiplier to 43 (4.3Ghz), I got the same voltage from the board but a degree or 2 higher on the temps.
3- I've set voltage on 1.26v with CPU multiplier on 42 and Cache multiplier on 40, A few minutes Aida64 and IBT test passed with temps decreasing by 3 to 5 degrees compared to Auto voltage, I did not run a long stress test and skipped to gaming, I got a BSOD after an hour of gaming.
4- I've increased voltage to 1.27v and kept the CPU and Cache as is and tested this configuration for 1 day on gaming and it worked well.
5- I've increased the CPU multiplier to 43 and decreased the cache to 38 and till today I didn't face any issue while playing games like Arma3 and World of Tanks.

FYI: the Hyper212  Evo fan which has a max of 2400rpm was running on the 900rpm mark, when CPU temps would pass 75C it will boost to 1200rpm which decrease the temp to 67C, it kept playing between these numbers 75C on 900rpm and 67C on 1200rpm. So the cooler which has a max of 180w TDP was running 50% at max which is pretty good.

I don't think i'll push it to 4.4Ghz, I'm happy with the current status of Cooler very low fan noise and good thermals in summer, I noticed that the CPU is consuming around 110w (using HWMonitor) which is expected and fall in the OK range of my PSU

Update 20/6/2016: I got a BSOD while playing BF4, I increased voltage to 1.28v and tried again, till now no issues, i'll try 1.275v and test again in the upcoming days

Update 28/6/2016: it's been a week now on 1.275v without any issues

Update 17/10/2016: PSU was updated, I started facing BSODs in some games so I bumped it up to 1.28v, even after that I got a BSOD in Rainbow Six Siege, now it is on 1.285v, I think I did reach the limit for this chip, 4.3Ghz is still good tho.

Update 3/13/2017: Switching from a GTX780 to GTX1060 reduced the heat inside the case, I'm still at 1.285v for 4.3Ghz, I tried to bump to 4.4Ghz but did not managed to make it stable even at 1.3v, personally I don't want to bypass that voltage so I guess I'll be staying at 4.3Ghz and the CPU is performing pretty well in the games I play

Last edited by anayman_k7 (March 13 2017)

#35 June 17 2016

Die_Kapitan

I wouldn't attempt to overclock with a Smart SE PSU tbh, pretty low-quality PSU, a mix Taiwanese and Chinese capacitors and below average voltage regulation.

#36 June 17 2016

anayman_k7

Die_Kapitan wrote:

I wouldn't attempt to overclock with a Smart SE PSU tbh, pretty low-quality PSU, a mix Taiwanese and Chinese capacitors and below average voltage regulation.

To be honest, since I got it 1.5 years ago and till today it never made any issue, not a single BSOD, I used i5 4460 with gtx760 on it and then i5 4670k 4.3ghz with R9 380, not a single issue happened, so I'm pretty happy with it specially the semi modular feature

#37 December 13 2016

anayman_k7

Well the title is Overclocking in general, so here is how I did overclock my monitor - yes my monitor - from 60Hz to 70Hz

This method is for Nvidia, I briefly read that there is a different method for AMD cards but I couldn't try it because I don't own a card of theirs.

My monitor is a "LG 22MP55HQ Wide 21.5" LED IPS Full HD monitor, 5ms response time, 60Hz Refresh Rate"

Simply just open Nvidia Control Panel (right click on the desktop) and go to the Change Resolution section, in this page you can define a new custom resolution and select your screen native resolution and try to increase the default refresh rate a bit (lets say 5), so I tested 1920x1080 65Hz and tested it, worked, 70Hz also worked,75Hz failed with a monitor error that max is 75Hz, after few seconds it will revert to the applied settings (60Hz), I did move back to 70Hz and saved and applied the new settings.

I noticed that the contrast and the black levels in the monitor were changed so I did recalibrated it in the internal screen configuration.

Be aware that there is no safety guarantee on your monitor if you apply an overclock on it, the benefit is a bit smoother screen refresh rate (10 extra Hz is a 16% improvement), it helps reduce the sickness I get from fast shooters like CS GO, Battlefield and Rainbow Six Siege where you need to keep scanning corners and looking around.

I'll get a 144hz monitor when they get cheaper

Board footer