LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 9 2012

vegetaleb
Banned

Forum software privacy

Hello!
I want to know if in a forum composed by moderators and admins, a pm sent by a moderator to another moderator can be read by an admin?
I am asking because I am myself a moderator in another forum and there are some things I want to say privatly to other moderators without that the admin knows anything about it.

#2 June 9 2012

samer
Admin

Re: Forum software privacy

None of the popular forum software allow you to do that. If that admin is also the site maintainer, he has access to the database and thus can read any message sent from anyone to anyone.

#3 June 9 2012

Joe

Re: Forum software privacy

You cannot assume that, since the popular forum software don't give you that feature, you're in any case private. As samer says, something as simple as DB access can circumvent the restriction.

My suggestion would be to get in touch via the forum but have your private discussion on a 3rd party platform.

On the other hand, if you want to be paranoid - which is always encouraged in the world of Security - and imagine that the admin is a hacker who, upon learning that you guys are having a talk outside, will try to eavesdrop on your conversation by some sort of man-in-the-middle attack, or that he's a powerful overlord who will corrupt ISPs to give him access to the communication logs, and want to have a truly "private" conversation, it's a bit more complicated. It's definitely feasible, for free, but will require a lot of attention and precautions.

Board footer