LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#2301 January 19 2017

DG

Re: Feedback for Ogero

What a disaster. every time I call I get a different reply. Se3a "DNS", se3a "n7allit el meshkle estez", se3a "ba3ed badda kam yom".... meanwhile my ping in WoW is 1500ms ! Way to go.

#2302 January 19 2017

random-username

Switched to Ogero 2 days ago. Internet wasn't working from the minute they installed the modem, said that they'll fix it from their side in a matter of hours. 2 days and 10 phone calls later, still no internet and am waiting for the "maintenance team" to stop by. And I thought the grass was greener on the other side. *sigh*

#2303 January 19 2017

Truepeace

Facing lag or packet loss even though I had 110ms ping to EU... Didn't face it in the afternoon.

#2304 January 20 2017

DG

Anyone knows what on earth is going on with Ogero ? Nuclearcat or anyone else ? It started a few days ago... late afternoon and in the evening ping triples with a lot of packet loss.
Anyone else facing this ? Other ISPs ?

#2305 January 20 2017

nuclearcat

IMEWE failure, as some ISPs got notification about that, no idea how true is that.
There is no clear information, but they are experiencing a lot of internal network issues lately.

#2306 January 20 2017

DG

Thanks for the quick reply mate.
I wonder how many times IMEWE fails per year. Every year it's the same. Any idea how long it will take to get it fixed ?
Doesn't Lebanon have a backup link (which would yield a higher ping to Europe but at least no packet loss like now) ?

#2307 January 20 2017

nuclearcat

Yes it has, but capacity wont be redundant (it is too expensive).
Ogero is not transparent at all in terms of technical issues, so even top managers of telecom sitting and guessing what is really an issue now.

#2308 January 20 2017

Silentcontrol

i'm on idm and i'm experiencing the slow internet high ping now they said there will be some kind of maintenance in the submarine cable till 9 pm

#2309 January 20 2017

Ramnesia

yeah the connection is not stable at all with a lot of request timed out

#2310 January 20 2017

Salah

In saida, also experiencing horrible ping

#2311 January 20 2017

mohammadk97

Can a day go by WITHOUT any problems?! (also Saida, horrible ping)

Last edited by mohammadk97 (January 20 2017)

#2312 January 21 2017

random-username

Terrible ping spikes every minute or so here in Beirut.

#2313 January 21 2017

AVOlio

I didn't experience anything while playing bf1 yesterday.

#2314 January 21 2017

nuclearcat

There was a problem (from one of my customers monitoring):
latency.png

#2315 January 21 2017

DG

Spot on Nuclearcat. I experienced problems from around 14:20 till 20:00 which coincides with the graph you just pasted.

#2316 January 21 2017

random-username

Did a little test today after I was getting massive ping spikes while playing online by pinging 8.8.8.8. Apparently, the ping spikes up to the thousands of ms whenever someone opens a website. Oddly enough, it's not affected by uploads, which is the opposite of what I experienced with Terranet. I'm on the 2 Mb unlimited plan, anyone else facing this issue? My maximum attainable rate is 15 Mbps Down and 1 Up if that's of any relevance.

Would appreciate it if someone could shed light on this.

#2317 January 23 2017

DrCs68

I am living in a village not that far away from the exchange (about 3-4km), where ogero doesn't give its subscribers there more than 512 Kb, even though personally I get around 18 snr down/26 up, attenuation 60 down/31 up, and attainable rate between 2700-3000 Kbps. When I first subscribed 2 years ago they gave me 128 Kbit, ironic i know. After persuading technicians and even the manager of the exchange for months with no luck, some guy I know put me on 2mb and it was perfect for over a year until a guy from the technical team of the exchange knew about it when I was on the phone with them and he checked my line stats (obviously) and eventually got mad and put me on 512 Kb again. The next day I called him again and spent 15 minutes begging him like an idiot until he put me on 1mb and I've been on that for almost over a year now. Every month of last year I used to go to the exchange to try my luck and ask them to put me back on 2mb but they keep making stupid excuses like they cant do anything ever since the exposure of the corruption of ogero and abdel moneim, and every month they say come back to us after 2 months and we will talk but nothing happens because they are just saying this to keep me away. I just don't understand why they are stubborn and won't understand that my line handled the 2mb, the speed that I am paying for after all. does anyone know if there is anyway around this? I'm sure I'm not the first one to have this problem and even though I have no telecommunication knowledge, I assume the steps to change someone's dsl speed is not that hard considering that a lot of people I know who were stuck on 1mb in the past used to call ogero and in a matter of minutes they were put on 2mb. I'd really appreciate it if someone can tell me what I should/can do more, if by any chance there might be a solution to this.

#2318 January 23 2017

nuclearcat

Just my guess, cause i smell something similar: Probably capacity to this exchange is very limited and running on copper wires with bonding, if each channel bonding capacity is approx 1-2Mbit, then single user with capacity more than 50% of bonding capacity can cause congestion on particular channel and very hard to troubleshoot problem for other users.
It is solvable by proper bonding technique, but Ogero until now not interested, i guess. In locations where fiber was not available, some ISPs was hooked by such bonding, and it was a nightmare for me to balance bandwidthdistribution between modems properly and i had no luck even i proposed(over ISP) that i can make appliances for free, just to solve this nightmare, so single flow/destination ip can exceed capacity of one VDSL modem.

#2319 January 24 2017

ManOwaRR

Nuclearcat , they should assign you for telecom ministry , i do appreciate this deep knowledge of our infrastructure

#2320 January 24 2017

DrCs68

nuclearcat wrote:

Just my guess, cause i smell something similar: Probably capacity to this exchange is very limited and running on copper wires with bonding, if each channel bonding capacity is approx 1-2Mbit, then single user with capacity more than 50% of bonding capacity can cause congestion on particular channel and very hard to troubleshoot problem for other users.
It is solvable by proper bonding technique, but Ogero until now not interested, i guess. In locations where fiber was not available, some ISPs was hooked by such bonding, and it was a nightmare for me to balance bandwidthdistribution between modems properly and i had no luck even i proposed(over ISP) that i can make appliances for free, just to solve this nightmare, so single flow/destination ip can exceed capacity of one VDSL modem.

Thanks for the in depth answer; I was told once that I could combine two lines to ultimately double the speed but I didn't want to have 2 phone lines (or 2 internet connections) at my home. So I'm guessing if what you said above is the actual case for me, that the wires in my area are bonded and that they can't give me more than 50% of its attainable rate, I am out of luck? Coincidentally, I was able to arrange an appointment with one of the guys of the technical team this week, and I am planning to ask him if this is really the problem that is preventing them from putting me on 2mb (hopefully he tells the truth and not use it as an excuse if it's really not what I'm facing). Say you were in my shoes, what would you suggest me to say to him?

#2321 January 25 2017

Xsever

Got my Ogero DSL installed yesterday. I went with the 4 Mbps plan for now and if need the 6-8 Mbps, it's available so I can upgrade to it any time.

After reading some pages here, I am going to email nrifai@ogero.gov.lb for him to give me the PPPoE info and all that. Is this the latest method to obtain this info or are there new methods?

My router is the Thomson Technicolor 585 v2.

Thank you.

#2322 January 25 2017

eido

anyone facing packet loss right now?

#2323 January 25 2017

Xsever

Is it normal for the upload speed not to exceed 30 KB/s on a 4M plan? It's Wednesday at 8:04 PM.

#2324 January 25 2017

nuclearcat

DrCs68 wrote:

Thanks for the in depth answer; I was told once that I could combine two lines to ultimately double the speed but I didn't want to have 2 phone lines (or 2 internet connections) at my home. So I'm guessing if what you said above is the actual case for me, that the wires in my area are bonded and that they can't give me more than 50% of its attainable rate, I am out of luck? Coincidentally, I was able to arrange an appointment with one of the guys of the technical team this week, and I am planning to ask him if this is really the problem that is preventing them from putting me on 2mb (hopefully he tells the truth and not use it as an excuse if it's really not what I'm facing). Say you were in my shoes, what would you suggest me to say to him?

It's hard question, even if it is not bonding, but just limited capacity to exchange, if you dont have high data consumption at peak hours(6pm till 23:59 usually) and total consumption not very high - you can appeal, that you consumption is too low, and they can check statistics (you should be sure it is low).

#2325 January 26 2017

Louis40

Hi,
Anyone has a 8Mb/100Gig plan from Ogero and is he getting a real 8mb..? Thinking to change from my 2mb/unlimited 75K LBP to the 8mb at around 100k LBP.. but i am hesitating if it's real 8mb or 4mb or even less i will get..I know it depends on my line if it can handle the plan, but still i just want to hear from other users their opinions if any..

Board footer