LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3476 May 6 2019

xazbrat

Re: Feedback for Ogero

DG wrote:

Guys, thanks for the replies. As mentioned in my previous post... I have on phones plugged in (only the modem) and this still happens. My SNR is fluctuating between 1.5 and 13 all the time and the disconnections keep rolling.

Is your modem plugged directly in the wall or are you using a filter--you can, actually don't need to plug use a filter for you modem.  Also, change which outlet the modem is being plugged into---unfortunately it could be a lot of things.  If you still have issues, check big things like the elevator--order the elevator while looking at your line stats;

If at all possible, see if you can go down into the electrical room or wherever the phone lines are connected downstairs and see if you have an issue there (you may need an electrician if you aren't too sure)  If you have an issue down there, then not much can be done.  If you don't have an issue, then the problem is between there and your apartment.

#3477 May 6 2019

VincentKeyboard

Aly wrote:
VincentKeyboard wrote:

Is it a crowded area? If you perform the repairs at night, will any of your neighbors complain?

The odds of getting caught by Ogero and fined is almost nonexistant, the real risk here is getting electrocuted by those random messy cables layed here and there in almost any neighborhood by the people and generator owners, that's the real risk here especially if done by an individual who does not climb poles for a living on a daily basis, let alone doing this at night.

I see. Good point. That's definitely not worth the risk.

#3478 May 7 2019

ahk40a

DG wrote:

Guys, thanks for the replies. As mentioned in my previous post... I have no phones plugged in (only the modem) and this still happens. My SNR is fluctuating between 1.5 and 13 all the time and the disconnections keep rolling.

That is a common issue in Lebanon, the house wiring and cable is really bad. The guys here has mentioned what you have to do, but I will add a couple that could help in identifying the issue:

Define the first connection point at your house,
Remove the looping cable between outlets that comes afterwards, (this means that you will disconnect the the cable that connects the secondary outlets at your house with the main entry socket, typically it is located in the entrance hall)
Connect the modem and test as required.
If you face the same issue again, it means it is either your modem, cable running to the main cable in your building, i.e. termination block, Krone, or the Fuse at Ogero's Central.
Test the modem at a friends house, if they have DSL, you can still use the modem with your configuration, just connect it and it should establish internet service, then call his house, if it disconnects, it means that the modem is faulty.
Connect the modem downstairs as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Last reason could be the fuse that merges both Landline and DSL services at Ogero Central Frame. Typically they change it. There are two ways to change it, the legal way is to call 1515 or go the CO and ask them to change it. It will take less than 5 minutes to do so.

#3479 May 7 2019

duke-of-bytes

DG wrote:

Guys, thanks for the replies. As mentioned in my previous post... I have no phones plugged in (only the modem) and this still happens. My SNR is fluctuating between 1.5 and 13 all the time and the disconnections keep rolling.

cable or filter as i said before

#3480 May 7 2019

DG

I replaced the modem with another one. I also plugged the modem in another outlet (another room) and the problem is still exactly the same.
I can't remove any cables inside the house. This is a rental and I'm not sure I'm allowed to do such a thing.
I have no friends in this area to test at their house (I just moved here). I would gladly call 1515 to register a fault/problem but I automatically get an answering machine about the ongoing strike. What a bad timing.
On a lighter note... anyone knows where the Dbayeh CO is located ?

Last edited by DG (May 7 2019)

#3481 May 14 2019

Elitism Guru

Ogero came and refused to do anything, said there is no issue even though the line is clearly cut. Unfortunately they came too early and talked to my relative. I don't want to be fined or worse put to jail for touching the line, unfortunately I had good internet speeds (13-14 Mbit) any other alternatives to ADSL on Lebanon? I'm thinking of Terranet microwave, 4mbit being affordable or reasonable but I'm not fathoming the speed downgrade... I assume it has less issues?

#3482 May 14 2019

Doom

Elitism Guru wrote:

Ogero came and refused to do anything, said there is no issue even though the line is clearly cut. Unfortunately they came too early and talked to my relative. I don't want to be fined or worse put to jail for touching the line, unfortunately I had good internet speeds (13-14 Mbit) any other alternatives to ADSL on Lebanon? I'm thinking of Terranet microwave, 4mbit being affordable or reasonable but I'm not fathoming the speed downgrade... I assume it has less issues?

It might be the line coming from your side (beyond the box) ; You should get an electrician to check it for you.

#3483 May 14 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

Last edited by Elitism Guru (May 30 2019)

#3484 May 15 2019

ahk40a

Elitism Guru wrote:

Just write a tweet and tag ikriedieh in it. they we will come the very next day and fix it for you.

#3485 May 16 2019

new_user

Does anyone know whether ogero are on track with their fiber deployment plan? My area was scheduled for 2018 Q4 but got rescheduled to 2019 Q3 so I am wondering if I should expect further delays when the time for deployment comes.

It could be a helpful indicator if someone in an area scheduled for 2019 Q2 can tell us whether they are seeing any progress.

#3486 May 20 2019

xazbrat

xazbrat wrote:

Did Ogero change its upload speeds a bit (to the bad side)---I have the 2mb 'unlimited' plan and had been getting 1 mb up as well.  I noticed they have changed it to 512 up instead and my speed reflects that  Anyone else see a difference on their plans or is this the beginnings of FUP.

Well--it seems like they corrected this.   I am back up to 1 mb upload as of this morning.  Makes things like whatsapp and other backups much quicker.

#3487 May 20 2019

Elitism Guru

Kriedies doesn't seem to be responsive lately. welp, hello microwave...

#3488 May 24 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

#3489 May 24 2019

DG

Guru, how is the Agogo service more than advertised ?
Here's what they sent me:

Setup $200+vat

2M      $50+vat
4M      $80+vat
6M      $110+vat
10M    $140+vat
12M    $180+vat

Now my turn to ask you guys a question. I came home an hour ago, switched my modem on and I immediately noticed my SNR down was fluctuating between 6 and 7 (it's normally between 13 at night and 18 during the day). Moreover, the CRC errors where increasing by 100 every second or so...
I restarted my modem... and 1 minute later it synced with the DSLAM at an SNR (down) of 18 and no errors at all. The modem has been on for more than 20 mins and I still got no CRC (up and down) errors.

My question: how can a problem such as a low SNR and thousands or CRC errors that are steadily increasing by the second just disappear at a simple restart ?
I mean a modem restart surely cannot not fix a bad line (if this was the cause for the errors) unless it was a problem with the port at the DSLAM because Ogero changed my port yesterday after I opened a ticket because I was getting disconnected from the net when someone calls my home number.

Last edited by DG (May 24 2019)

#3490 May 24 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

#3491 May 25 2019

Elitism Guru

Some info from a Russian forum, as Ogero uses GlobeSpan DSLAM hardware not broadcom:
"
Asus DSL N14U (Mediatek) lock on ~ 14800
Technicolor TD5136v2 (Realtek) lock at ~ 16100
ADB P.RG A4201G (Lantiq) lock at ~ 16300
Cellpipe 7130RG (Broadcom) lock at ~ 14800.

The line is with SNR 6dB and attenuation 18.7dB (23.7dB seen by ADB). I'm afraid because ASUS is a "tool" but does not play well with Globespan DSLAMs."

Source: https://www.adslgr.com/forum/threads/86 … ost5920486

#3492 May 26 2019

Kareem

Elitism Guru wrote:

Some info from a Russian forum, as Ogero uses GlobeSpan DSLAM hardware not broadcom:
"
Asus DSL N14U (Mediatek) lock on ~ 14800
Technicolor TD5136v2 (Realtek) lock at ~ 16100
ADB P.RG A4201G (Lantiq) lock at ~ 16300
Cellpipe 7130RG (Broadcom) lock at ~ 14800.

The line is with SNR 6dB and attenuation 18.7dB (23.7dB seen by ADB). I'm afraid because ASUS is a "tool" but does not play well with Globespan DSLAMs."

Source: https://www.adslgr.com/forum/threads/86 … ost5920486

It's known that Lantiq syncs faster but only over very stable lines.  Mine syncs at almost 18 Mbps.... The fastest I could get on a Broadcom was 15 Mbps

ae1565aff747af754da3ba0522d75e55.png

#3493 May 26 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

#3494 May 29 2019

DG

Anyone here experienced the following problem ?

First of all, let me say this is the first time it happens to me. My modem is connected to a brand new UPS.

At around 2:00 pm the power went out. The instant the power was cut... my DSL and Internet modem lights went off. Both the PC and the modem were still powered ON.
After 30 seconds or so... DSL and Internet leds came back on.

I then checked by unplugging my UPS from the wall outlet a couple of times for 5 seconds and everything was fine: no loss of connection or power at all.

I am asking here to see what you guys think. Could it be at my end or probably a loss of power at the CO or somewhere else on the telephone network.

#3495 May 29 2019

Elitism Guru

DG wrote:

First of all, let me say this is the first time it happens to me. My modem is connected to a brand new UPS.

At around 2:00 pm the power went out. The instant the power was cut... my DSL and Internet modem lights went off. Both the PC and the modem were still powered ON.

I then checked by unplugging my UPS from the wall outlet a couple of times for 5 seconds and everything was fine: no loss of connection or power at all.

I am asking here to see what you guys think. Could it be at my end or probably a loss of power at the CO or somewhere else on the telephone network.

From what I remember, if the phone line is near an electric cable, the inductive kick when the electricity comes back on from poor power factor devices (starting a water pump etc) is enough to induce current on the phone line, so in that instance the phone line is significantly energised enough to saturate the signal depending on the attenuation, although ADSL works in phantom power filteration. Mine used to happen only when "Ishterak" comes on, phone line on the same pole istherak cable is mounted on.

#3496 May 29 2019

xazbrat

DG wrote:

It happens to me on occasion---no rhyme or reason why.  I have a receiver and android box connected to the same UPS and nothing happens to them--just the modem cycles or sometimes reboots.  I attributed that to my UPS being old, but apparently, that isn't the case..

#3497 May 29 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

#3498 May 29 2019

DG

Thanks for the replies but, again, at the risk of being rude (which of course I am not trying to do), I will clarify some things.

@ElitismGuru it's not when the electricity comes back on (though when it does... my "SNR down" drops by about 5 - 6 dB for a few seconds). The case I am referring to today happened the moment the electricity was out (n2ata3it el kahraba).

@xazbrat it's not a modem restart. The modem was still powered when this happened. Only the DSL and Internet leds went off for about 30 seconds.

Last edited by DG (May 29 2019)

#3499 May 29 2019

xazbrat

DG wrote:

Thanks for the replies but, again, at the risk of being rude (which of course I am not trying to do), I will clarify some things.

@xazbrat it's not a modem restart. The modem was still powered when this happened. Only the DSL and Internet leds went off for about 30 seconds.

I forgot to add that sometimes I do lose connectivity too--for example I will lose the 4th light for a few seconds and my connection will drop when i am on my laptop.  I should really check the logs when that happens--maybe that will shed some more light.

#3500 May 29 2019

Elitism Guru

[deleted]

Board footer